Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stop the Press! Tesla announces REAL HP numbers for P85D and P90L

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People who were interested in this thread, and are still watching it, would probably be interested in this thread now:

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

Thanks Andy! I started reading that thread but got discouraged when I realized it was 70 pages long..

Could you possibly give us the TL;DR or perhaps point us to the most informational post (besides the very first one by Ingineer)?

Thanks Andy! I started reading that thread but got discouraged when I realized it was 70 pages long..

Could you possibly give us the TL;DR or perhaps point us to the most informational post (besides the very first one by Ingineer)?

In a nutshell...

We learned that Tesla has counters on at least all the P cars that they use, potentially, to reduce power if we drive the cars the way we thought they were intended to be driven. The power is permanently reduced, and is reduced overall. It is not simply reduced for launches. We believe Tesla did this to save on warranty repair costs. As the thread gained momentum, Tesla added a disclaimer to their website, stating:

--
Performance
Performance acceleration ratings are based on maximum battery power mode and follow Motor Trend’s test procedure of subtracting the first foot rollout time to represent drag strip performance.

Performance versions of the Model S and Model X are high-performance vehicles. As with other vehicles, continuous high-performance driving will stress the vehicle's components and may result in premature wear or failure. To help protect the performance and longevity of the powertrain, Performance versions of the Model S and Model X continually monitor the condition of various components and may employ limiting controls to optimize the overall driving and ownership experience.
--

Here is a post made yesterday that has some detailed information from a Tesla Service advisor:

Service advisor just gave me credible info.

3 counters

One for Launches/WOT over 1500 amps. (I have 92 and have never used launch mode)

One for rolling mashes that are hard but under 1500 amps (mine is 134)

One for "mixture" (mine is 311.6)

They are protecting wire bonds.

625 is hard cut for Launches.

Rolling mashes counts towards mixture. Cut is 3068 for Mixture limit.

Can one of you who has been severely power-cut send me your VIN number through PM? The service manager that I'm working with would like to see your stats to understand if there is any remedy planned.

I think this is a reasonable short summary.

Yes, so while they announced the REAL HP figures some time ago, with Countergate we find that those numbers had one HUGE ASTERISK next to them . . . and they didn't bother to mention it.

Ooops.

Recommend all buy the $7 "Powertools" app and see just how bad your P90DL is, and post the numbers here. It looks like there are some pretty interesting deviations and I wonder how they're going to be explained (mine may be off due to cold battery, cold temps, and cold tires; will try again when it warms up later this week):

Tesla Model S PxxxD(L) Comparisons (Responses)