Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stop the Press! Tesla announces REAL HP numbers for P85D and P90L

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This video sure makes all of this horsepower talk kind of silly and irrelevant, doesn't it?

Its funny how people just find the videos that shows the results they want to see :)

And we also know for a fact that people have run the hellcat down in 2.9 sec to 60 and 10.7 sec on the 1/4.
TorqueNews Exclusive: Hellcat Charger Runs 10.7, 2.9s 0-60 with DRs (Updated) - Torque News

The best customer P90D car on 1/4 mile is 11.38 for now. And 10.7 sec is a lot faster.

Hellcats problems is rwd, need good tires and driver. The Tesla is just wait for the light and go :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets talk max capacity for a moment...

So... not to distract from the primary reason for torches and pitchforks... but I can't believe no one is noticing another problem with these numbers (or is it just me, seeing things that aren't there?): If the only (power relevant) differences between a P90DL and a P85D are (1) a larger capacity battery and (2) some fuses and control software... then how the heck is the motor capacity - by itself - suddenly going from 691 to 762 "maximum" HP ?

I'm well aware the battery power will decrease as charge does... but that's the whole crux of the argument, right, that it isn't supplying enough power? So why would the fuses do anything to change the capacity of the motor?

Is there something else it (the L upgrade) does? Changes something with the rotor current or slippage (I assume it isn't a 3Ph synchronous motor, right?) to increase it? If so, doesn't that mean that you could do the same thing WITHOUT changing the fuses or increasing battery capacity?

What am I missing?

So... not to distract from the primary reason for torches and pitchforks... but I can't believe no one is noticing another problem with these numbers (or is it just me, seeing things that aren't there?): If the only (power relevant) differences between a P90DL and a P85D are (1) a larger capacity battery and (2) some fuses and control software... then how the heck is the motor capacity - by itself - suddenly going from 691 to 762 "maximum" HP ?

I'm well aware the battery power will decrease as charge does... but that's the whole crux of the argument, right, that it isn't supplying enough power? So why would the fuses do anything to change the capacity of the motor?

Is there something else it (the L upgrade) does? Changes something with the rotor current or slippage (I assume it isn't a 3Ph synchronous motor, right?) to increase it? If so, doesn't that mean that you could do the same thing WITHOUT changing the fuses or increasing battery capacity?

What am I missing?

Controller firmware on the motors.

Controller firmware on the motors.

The problem with this explanation is that it permits Tesla to claim almost any motor horsepower they want. They could have delivered ludicrous without adding a single "motor power" HP, since it still doesn't achieve 691. That makes it a little bit convenient that they simultaneously increased the motor power when the new fuses and contactor came out. Because otherwise they would have had a more difficult time explaining the new specifications. At this point, they could deliver yet another equal level of increased performance as ludicrous was (70hp including the batteries), reach 2.7 0-60 and 10.7 in the quarter and downgrade the firmware and declare they accomplished these results while simultaneously lowering the "motor power" back to 691. This illustrates the problem with using "motor power" when it is completely disconnected from the actual performance of the car.

Similarly, they could declare that they have discovered untapped capacity in the motors and upgrade the motor power to 1,000 HP without the car getting one iota faster.

The problem with this explanation is that it permits Tesla to claim almost any motor horsepower they want. They could have delivered ludicrous without adding a single "motor power" HP, since it still doesn't achieve 691. That makes it a little bit convenient that they simultaneously increased the motor power when the new fuses and contactor came out. Because otherwise they would have had a more difficult time explaining the new specifications. At this point, they could deliver yet another equal level of increased performance as ludicrous was (70hp including the batteries), reach 2.7 0-60 and 10.7 in the quarter and downgrade the firmware and declare they accomplished these results while simultaneously lowering the "motor power" back to 691. This illustrates the problem with using "motor power" when it is completely disconnected from the actual performance of the car.

Similarly, they could declare that they have discovered untapped capacity in the motors and upgrade the motor power to 1,000 HP without the car getting one iota faster.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Everything's got software now, even motors. It's clear they've revised specs upward though on existing HW, just look at the 85D (188HP -> 259HP motor power). Either they were under-stating the rating initially, or they updated something to increase the power remotely.

I would disagree that it's totally disconnected from the actual performance of the car. At low RPM, a higher motor power should translate to more torque.

Not if they actually test higher, i.e. ECE R85.

This reminds me about a intarwebs thread about turbochargers. Is it the air flow or the pressure that drives the turbine wheel? They are both wrong, it's the heat energy.

For example?
I'd like to so what 500HP ICE machine beat P85D in a drag race.

Car and Driver tested the Porsche Panamera Turbo and the P85D.

Guess what? The cars' acceleration numbers through 60 mph are identical.

Literally the same.

Model S P85D:
http://media.caranddriver.com/files/2015-tesla-model-s-p85d-long-term-intro-review-car-and-driverp85dlti.pdf

2010 Panamera Turbo:

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/2010-porsche-panamera-turbo2010-porsche-panamera-turbo.pdf

Both cars reach 30 mph in 1.2 seconds. Both hit 40 in 1.8. Both hit 50 in 2.4. And both get to 60 in 3.3.

Then the Panamera starts to walk away. By 100, it's 4/10s ahead. At 150 (the P85Ds top end), it's more than 9 seconds ahead. And, of course, it keeps going to 170.

You can see it in the 1/4 time, too--11.8 at 114 for the Tesla, 11.7 at 119 for the Porsche.

C/D doesn't give the results below 30 mph, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Tesla were faster to 15 or 20 mph. But I assume nearly everyone is going to want to drag to a higher speed than that.

Having said all of this, the Panamera is 600 lbs lighter than the Tesla, so obviously the Tesla is making more effective power down low than the Panamera is. But, still--you wanted an example of a 500(ish) hp ICE that can hang with a P85D? There it is.

Am I the only one who is blown away by the fact that an electric vehicle, developed only a few short years ago, is being somewhat criticized for not being able to keep up with a Porsche Panamera? I still can't figure out why Tesla has to over state hp and other stuff. That makes no sense to me. Only a decade ago no one would have believed we'd have an electric vehicle doing this well, and also be long range, and our family sedan carrying a family of 5 plus two small kids in rear facing seats. It's really unbelievable. Then to say they'd be criticised for overstating hp, with threats of lawsuits, well that'd be just too much to try to believe. But here we are today.

Yes, the Porsche still wins but not by much and it has to stop at the gas station and spew CO2. It has also been in development since the 1930's and while ICE engines will be get better, the potential for electric motors and batteries is much greater than for ICE vehicles. I can't wait to see the numbers in 10 to 20 years time. Then again, ICE for daily commutes will likely be going the way of the horse and buggy by that time.

Am I the only one who is blown away by the fact that an electric vehicle, developed only a few short years ago, is being somewhat criticized for not being able to keep up with a Porsche Panamera? I still can't figure out why Tesla has to over state hp and other stuff. That makes no sense to me. Only a decade ago no one would have believed we'd have an electric vehicle doing this well, and also be long range, and our family sedan carrying a family of 5 plus two small kids in rear facing seats. It's really unbelievable. Then to say they'd be criticised for overstating hp, with threats of lawsuits, well that'd be just too much to try to believe. But here we are today.

Yes, the Porsche still wins but not by much and it has to stop at the gas station and spew CO2. It has also been in development since the 1930's and while ICE engines will be get better, the potential for electric motors and batteries is much greater than for ICE vehicles. I can't wait to see the numbers in 10 to 20 years time. Then again, ICE for daily commutes will likely be going the way of the horse and buggy by that time.

I'm not criticizing anything, and really I didn't intend my post to be taken as such. I think the P85D is an amazing car. It's just not a 700 hp car. It's also not noticeably faster than one particular 500 hp ICE car. Which isn't really a criticism so much as a data point that tends to support that it isn't a 700 hp car. Which we don't need, really, because Tesla has now acknowledged as much.

Also, I was mostly responding to the earlier "show me a 500 hp car that can beat a Tesla in a drag race" post.

One thing that I think is interesting, too, is that the Panamera's rolling start numbers (5-60) are so similar to the Tesla's. If anything, it's a testament to just how astonishingly good the Panamera is from a driveability standpoint.

Its hard for me to believe someone would think it's ok for a company to overstate their car's HP and charge a premium base on that, but here we are today

Its hard for me to believe someone would think it's ok for a company to overstate their car's HP and charge a premium base on that, but here we are today

Yes, that's really hard to believe... especially since I never said what you posted after you quoted me. In fact, I said "I still can't figure out why Tesla has to over state hp and other stuff. That makes no sense to me."

Where did I say it was "ok for a company for overstate their car's HP and charge a premium base on that"? If you quote me, at least get it right. Please don't just make stuff up. :rolleyes:

I don't shy away from challenges to my posts. I like to be taken to task. But what you said really does make my eyes roll since it makes no sense at all.

Last edited:
This is the sentence I'm referring to.

I'm glad you and I are on the same page that it's not ok for Tesla to overstate their numbers.

It's not okay for any company to overstate their numbers. But, unfortunately, we don't live in an utopia. If you read my prior post, I said I expected Tesla to refund people's money who were mislead by the numbers: "It will be interesting to see how this "admission" will play out legally for Tesla. I suspect that people who sue for being mislead will have their vehicle bought back. That seems to be the best outcome..."

But Tesla is very important for my children, and their children's, future on this planet. So, as I've said before, I'm not willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater. But I am quick to admit when Tesla has a mistake and I call them out for it. I do so, however, in proportion to the good they have done or are attempting to do (even though I think we are circling the drain environmentally). That was the point of my post that you quoted, and the issue of Tesla being "criticized for overstating hp". At no time did I say it was okay to overstate the number, but I tried to put it in perspective. Unlike some of those on the other side, I can admit when Tesla has done wrong and I see no wrong in that. It will only make Tesla better in the long run. To some on the other side, including perhaps you, Tesla has done such wrong they will never buy another vehicle from them (although I find some who say this to be disingenuous). Plus, they can't give Tesla credit for anything, or this is such a wrong, that any credit earned by Tesla is not worth even mentioning.

I hope you and I are on the same page on credit due to Tesla, but somehow I doubt it.

Last edited:
I think some things on this issue need some clarification, because people keep wanting to take this in a thousand different directions that have little to nothing to do with the actual problem.

I think we all agree that Tesla makes some pretty awesome cars. I really like both of mine. I don't think that is in question.

The horsepower related concerns and the 0-60 time concerns (rollout vs non-rollout) are independent issues, even if they did start at the same time.

The horsepower related concerns and the range increase concerns (285 miles at 65 MPH is pretty much impossible, sorry, and the P85D does not have more range than the P85) are indepentent issues, even if they did start at the same time.

Now for this particular on-topic point...

The issue I personally have is that Tesla allowed customers to believe that the P85D produced substantially more horsepower than it actually does. The introduction of the "motor power" term was clarified by folks at Tesla at the time to be "similar to an ICE at the flywheel" to myself and others I've spoken with. Many enthusiasts also figured that this number was an "at the shaft" type number. I'm reasonably certain no one, myself included, expected 691 HP at the wheels.

Additionally, Tesla only used the "motor power" term on the website, and no where else (that I'm aware). Everywhere else, and in every conversation/interview/etc that I've had or seen with Tesla had no such qualifier. It was a 691 HP car as far as everyone was concerned. Tesla even confirmed speculation that the car would have "substantially improved high speed performance" over the P85 due to the added horsepower.

The majority of early P85D buyers, myself included, had no opportunity to test drive the vehicle prior to delivery and had few options except to trust Tesla's sales and marketing folks on the matter. Personally, I'd already purchased two Model S that met or exceeded their advertised specs, why would Tesla fudge the numbers for the P85D?

Only after more people started publicly questioning the 691 HP number did they simply remove it. No explanation, no answers to inquiries, nothing. Just remove the number and hope no one notices? I mean, if it were in fact a legitimate measure of the car's performance, why remove it?

Some time previously the website clearly advertised a coming "free over the air software update" to increase high speed performance. For completeness, this advertising was there AFTER the 3.2 to 3.1 "0"-60 improvement update (yes I put quotes around the 0 in "0"-60 when referring to the fake with-rollout times that are more like 5-60). Many, myself included, figured that this might be the update the unlocked some or all of our missing horsepower. We now know that free OTA update turned into a costly hardware update that still doesn't unlock the full 691 HP (and as of this writing still does not exist as a retrofit, paid or otherwise, in a customer's hands yet).

Then comes a cryptic blog post nearly a year later that basically admits the original power number was not a true power production number, and was more of a slap in the face, IMO, to those who know what we're talking about. Sorry, Mr. Straubel, but 1 HP is still 1 HP, and I don't care about performance at various altitudes vs ICE engines which had nothing to do with the concerns.

Now Tesla finally posts the real horsepower output of the car, 463 HP... a number that myself and others had already figured out within a reasonable margin with real world testing.

"But Tesla is great!" "Tesla is saving the world!" "OMG we need Tesla!" <-- While statements like these may (or may not) be true, it doesn't affect this particular situation.

The fact is that Tesla fudged the facts to fit the situation. At that time it appears the goal was getting as many Q4'2015 deliveries as possible, no matter what, which meant selling P85Ds like crazy. Had Tesla actually put the real specs on the specs page last year as they stand today, I would not have bought a P85D. It's still the same car. The actual specs haven't actually changed. But the *advertised* specs have changed significantly since I placed my order. Given what I know today, I would have been much happier with an 85D, or simply keeping my P85.

For completeness, let's take a look at the few major bullet points along those lines:

• Advertised in October 2014 when I placed my order
    • 691 HP (274 HP more than the P85)
    • 285 miles of range (20 miles more than the P85)
    • 0-60 in 3.2 seconds (full second faster than P85)
    • Autopilot in a few months
  • Reality:
    • 463 HP (-228 HP)
    • 253 miles of range (-32 miles / -12 from the P85)
    • 0-60 in 3.5 seconds (true 0-60)
    • Autopilot released 10/15/2015 (so, +6 months best case, +8 months or more really)

People who traded up from a P85 paid a significant amount of depreciation to do so with the promise of better high speed performance thanks to 274 more horsepower, better range due to the efficiency improvements of the dual motor setup, shave a full second from 0-60, and autopilot features only to have paid that same premium for 46 horsepower, a significant range penalty, 0-60 times that actually differ by closer to a half-second due to the switch to using 1-ft rollout without telling anyone, and a year wait for autopilot.

Yes, the non-horsepower related bullet points are problems. But this thread is about the horsepower issue, so lets get back to that.

So, actual +46 HP vs advertised +274 HP (or +211 HP depending on which P85 number you feel like using). I don't know about you, but if I take a 400 HP car and add 200+ HP to it by adding minimal weight, I'm going to get some pretty dramatic improvements, and not just in 0-60 times. These are the improvements that were touted by Tesla when I was buying my P85D. Faster highway passing. Much faster top speed runs. Etc etc etc.

In reality, we received less than 20% of the increased performance we paid for, yet according to many here I'm in the wrong because I feel like Tesla cheated me and used me to boost Q4'14 sales.

I keep holding on to a little hope that Tesla is going to surprise us with something that will make us early P85D buyers have at least a little faith restored in the company... but that's probably just wishful thinking at this point. I'm honestly not 100% sure what their next move is. I'm half expecting an announcement this week of the P100D with the tag line of having "twice the power of the P85D" with Tesla comparing the newly advertised actual horsepower of the P85D with a car having two large motor's combined "motor power." Add to that a new 0-60 metric that uses some random magazine's method of testing that subtracts the first 42-ft of rollout from the time to better show the meaning of life the universe and everything in the 0-60 time to get a mind blowing 1.9 second 0-60 to plaster all over the place while they're at it. Might as well say it has a 500 mile range too. Later they'll include the note that to get that range requires the double battery capacity feature that will be available free via OTA updates in several months.

Last edited:
citizen-kane-clapping.jpg