Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stop the software update prompt in car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of my cars has the pedestrian warning sound and we have so much fun with it with our kids that we decided not to do any updates for a while so that it is not removed. Now we get the popup every time we go into park to do the latest update.

Is there a way to make the popup go away without doing the update?

I keep my other car updated with software so if anything good comes in an update we will update the one with the pedestrian warning system.

Thanks

Is there a way to make the popup go away without doing the update?

It will go away eventually, if you disconnect wifi and then get a fresh download notification (but don't actually take it). You then end up in the situation where the app will prompt you to connect to download but as long as you don't download you *should* not have any in car prompts to install.

I say *should* as this is the situation that we are in and we are blissfully still on V10 and haven't been prompted to install since very early this year. However, something slightly edge casey happened in that last download that we took (but didn't install) whilst still connected to wifi actually got pulled so we ended up without even the download request in the app until we got another update push notification (which we didn't download) that is now prompting us to download in the app by connecting to wifi. I don't think this has changed the behaviour of the install notification though, just reset the process.

Of course, all moot if you want to connect the car to wifi for other reasons...

It will go away eventually, if you disconnect wifi and then get a fresh download notification (but don't actually take it). You then end up in the situation where the app will prompt you to connect to download but as long as you don't download you *should* not have any in car prompts to install.

I say *should* as this is the situation that we are in and we are blissfully still on V10 and haven't been prompted to install since very early this year. However, something slightly edge casey happened in that last download that we took (but didn't install) whilst still connected to wifi actually got pulled so we ended up without even the download request in the app until we got another update push notification (which we didn't download) that is now prompting us to download in the app by connecting to wifi. I don't think this has changed the behaviour of the install notification though, just reset the process.

Of course, all moot if you want to connect the car to wifi for other reasons...
Great, I am going to switch wifi off, and keep hitting the X on the current prompt and hope it goes away eventually.

So confused by the effort and purpose of this commitment. You can still play your funny fart sounds with the kids when it’s parked. You are going to sacrifice safety updates, refinement updates, and possibly dangerous bug updates so you can play goofy sounds? It’s a car. Get the kids an iPad for gag fun and use the car to safely transport them Undistracted. Just a thought.

Reactions: Bacalao and Kimmi