TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Stopped By a Tesla store today....

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Charged_Up, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Charged_Up

Charged_Up Member

Now I have no idea how accurate this info is, but the Tesla employee indicated that the Sig would be around 90k and that air suspension would be included but that the pano roof and sport versions would be optional add-ons (at greater expense, of course). He did say there was a good chance of some additional color/interior options before interior was set in stone. Take it with a grain of salt.....

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

The pano roof is already set that way in the design studio. I would say that is correct.

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

If I had to choose between sport and roof (because of price), I'd have to go sport. I'd miss that roof though

4. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Yep, that's the price we figured, (before federal tax rebate anyway). If they make the pano roof an upgrade, I think it's safe to assume that there won't be a sliding screen or cover over it. Too many Signature reservation holders living in hot, sunny climes would be pretty annoyed if they needed to "downgrade" from the pano roof because it didn't have a cover.

5. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Bigtime!

6. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

Hi,

Agreed, hopefully Tesla will change their mind regarding the absence of a shade, but right now their Model S Facts web page explicitly states the panoramic roof won't have one.

Larry

7. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Perhaps it's available as an option

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Toyota Prius V has it....

9. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I believe most vehicles with panoramic roofs do (my Q5 has it). That might be why they felt the need to point that out.

10. Charged_Up

Charged_Up Member

Larry - as a fellow Floridian, I suspect you know exactly what I'm talking about.... i don't know if I could get used to having sun roof that *always* let in heat and light, especially in summer...

Regards...

11. Charged_Up

Charged_Up Member

My wife's Buick Enclave has a screen. if Buick can do it, why not the great "T"?

12. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

#12 Larry Chanin, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
    Hi,

Even conventional cars without a panoramic roof are green houses. So a roof that let's in 21% more solar energy would rule out this option for me. With the shade I might consider it depending on the cost. I do think a panoramic roof is a cool feature.

I think it would be nice if Tesla were to offer an option of darker tint on the side windows and the hatch-back.

Larry

13. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Agree with Larry! I think Tesla would be crazy not to have a shade available....In this part of the country we'll all end up with sunburned scalps with 21% let-through.

I wonder if it would be possible to tint the panoramic roof to provide even more shade?

14. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Surely possible after-market?! I don't think Tesla would want to get into the business of offering tint levels for the side windows and such as there are state-level differences in the laws around the degree of tinting (for law enforcement purposes).

15. strider

strider Active Member

I agree. It's just glass - you can have your local tint shop install darker tint.

16. Soflauthor

Soflauthor Model S, Sig#422

@Charged-up: As a SoFla resident, I know exactly what you mean. It seems very shortsighted for TM to build what seems to be a spectacular panoramic roof and then *not* provide an opaque shade for it. Almost every luxury car has a shade for its sun roof, regardless of the heat and light attenuation that the glass treatment provides. I want the panoramic roof for my Sig, but I'll probably have to pass if there's no opaque shade.

17. roblab

roblab Active Member

If the pano roof cuts heat to 21% and visible light to 7%, my curiosity is How does that actually compare with a metal black roof with a piece of headliner under it? Having installed insulation in homes for a few years, I know there is a lot of heat that still gets through, and it *always* comes through winter and summer, and probably over 7%. And then you have heat coming in through the side windows and the doors and the floor (road radiation). I thought that was what AC did, suck out the heat. Of course, another sliding panel would make a difference, but how much does Prius (for instance) cut down the heat and light transmittance before AND after the shade? I wonder if Tesla knows. I wonder if it is significant.

Of course, it is always easier and more interesting to guess how many teeth the horse has, rather that actually look.

18. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

The UVA and UVB which reaches through is the most important.....everything else can be dealt with.

• Like x 1
  19. dadaleus

dadaleus 4GETOIL P85#S70,FdrX,S85D

This was exactly my thought. I love the roof and I'm not too worried about the heat here. But skin cancer worries me. I know some glass coating blocks some kinds of UV. We should ask Tesla although what I'd really like to know is how effectively it blocks the whole spectrum of UA, which may be hard to get clearly answered.

20. strider

strider Active Member

Existing technology window tint blocks 99.9% of UV so if that's what you're worried about, simply have the roof tinted. Even very light tints can still block UV.