Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stopped By a Tesla store today....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now I have no idea how accurate this info is, but the Tesla employee indicated that the Sig would be around 90k and that air suspension would be included but that the pano roof and sport versions would be optional add-ons (at greater expense, of course). He did say there was a good chance of some additional color/interior options before interior was set in stone. Take it with a grain of salt.....

Yep, that's the price we figured, (before federal tax rebate anyway). If they make the pano roof an upgrade, I think it's safe to assume that there won't be a sliding screen or cover over it. Too many Signature reservation holders living in hot, sunny climes would be pretty annoyed if they needed to "downgrade" from the pano roof because it didn't have a cover.

Yep, that's the price we figured, (before federal tax rebate anyway). If they make the pano roof an upgrade, I think it's safe to assume that there won't be a sliding screen or cover over it. Too many Signature reservation holders living in hot, sunny climes would be pretty annoyed if they needed to "downgrade" from the pano roof because it didn't have a cover.

Hi,

Agreed, hopefully Tesla will change their mind regarding the absence of a shade, but right now their Model S Facts web page explicitly states the panoramic roof won't have one.

The Panoramic Roof is optional. The state-of-the-art infrared coating reduces solar energy transmittance to 21% and visible light transmittance to 7%. It does not come with a shade.

Larry

Larry - as a fellow Floridian, I suspect you know exactly what I'm talking about.... i don't know if I could get used to having sun roof that *always* let in heat and light, especially in summer...

Regards...

Hi,

Even conventional cars without a panoramic roof are green houses. So a roof that let's in 21% more solar energy would rule out this option for me. With the shade I might consider it depending on the cost. I do think a panoramic roof is a cool feature.

I think it would be nice if Tesla were to offer an option of darker tint on the side windows and the hatch-back.

Larry

Last edited:
Agree with Larry! I think Tesla would be crazy not to have a shade available....In this part of the country we'll all end up with sunburned scalps with 21% let-through.

I wonder if it would be possible to tint the panoramic roof to provide even more shade?

I think it would be nice if Tesla were to offer an option of darker tint on the side windows and the hatch-back.

I wonder if it would be possible to tint the panoramic roof to provide even more shade?

Surely possible after-market?! I don't think Tesla would want to get into the business of offering tint levels for the side windows and such as there are state-level differences in the laws around the degree of tinting (for law enforcement purposes).

@Charged-up: As a SoFla resident, I know exactly what you mean. It seems very shortsighted for TM to build what seems to be a spectacular panoramic roof and then *not* provide an opaque shade for it. Almost every luxury car has a shade for its sun roof, regardless of the heat and light attenuation that the glass treatment provides. I want the panoramic roof for my Sig, but I'll probably have to pass if there's no opaque shade.

If the pano roof cuts heat to 21% and visible light to 7%, my curiosity is How does that actually compare with a metal black roof with a piece of headliner under it? Having installed insulation in homes for a few years, I know there is a lot of heat that still gets through, and it *always* comes through winter and summer, and probably over 7%. And then you have heat coming in through the side windows and the doors and the floor (road radiation). I thought that was what AC did, suck out the heat. Of course, another sliding panel would make a difference, but how much does Prius (for instance) cut down the heat and light transmittance before AND after the shade? I wonder if Tesla knows. I wonder if it is significant.

Of course, it is always easier and more interesting to guess how many teeth the horse has, rather that actually look.

This was exactly my thought. I love the roof and I'm not too worried about the heat here. But skin cancer worries me. I know some glass coating blocks some kinds of UV. We should ask Tesla although what I'd really like to know is how effectively it blocks the whole spectrum of UA, which may be hard to get clearly answered.

The UVA and UVB which reaches through is the most important.....everything else can be dealt with.