Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stopped By a Tesla store today....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wikipedia says ordinary glass stops over 90% of radiation below 300nm but allows higher wavelength UV radiation like UV-A through. Since UV radiation has few positive health benefits and can be very bad for the interiors be they plastic or leather I'm guessing the special glass they use lets very little UV through, even UV-A.

Cobos

My driving a pano MS had me distracted by the overhead light (don't care which wave length - just a bright light in my eyes). My back seat passenger noticed how hot it was ( yes, it was 109F high noon in the desert) but it was HOT even with all the coatings.

So I am inclined to get the metal roof. The Advisor said only 20% of orders are placed for metal roofs/80% are pano. Is this just good salesmanship? Is there a reason (aftermarket value?) why I should not get this?

the overhead light distraction is rather subjective.. I would say you will get over it.. all my cars have sunroofs aND never felt that way.

as for heat... the cabinet will still heat up just because it is being bake in the sun.. but this pano passes nearly no radiant heat through.. I didn't even tint it when I did all the other windows; and I am quite picky about that

My past 3 cars (which of 2x have been Model S) have all had pano-roofs, and I'm NEVER going back to metal roof. Ever... I would actually prefer a glass-roof that couldn't be opened (lighter, less stuff that can go wrong), but the extra "openness" and "extra space"-feeling is very important to me. My kids also love to be able to watch upwards on buildings, trees, clouds & the sun, and when ever I'm i the back seat of my own car I really appreciate the extra light.... Pano roof beats metal every time for me at least :)

I have had sun/moon roof on last 5 cars. They came with other options I wanted, and were not avail to opt-out. I find I open the slider just long enough to notice the distracting light. rarely did I have them open. I know others love them - I'm not there.
I understand heat comes in through side windows and windshield, not just Pano. Rear passenger had his head near touching pano roof and said uncomfortable - would not want to ride long distance with that heat/light. In front, I wanted to close the opaque slider...but there was none.
So - for me - Metal roof. But - I'm open for information that makes pano purchase a worthwhile investment from me now to be passed on to the next owner in 3-5 years.

My past 3 cars (which of 2x have been Model S) have all had pano-roofs, and I'm NEVER going back to metal roof. Ever... I would actually prefer a glass-roof that couldn't be opened (lighter, less stuff that can go wrong), but the extra "openness" and "extra space"-feeling is very important to me. My kids also love to be able to watch upwards on buildings, trees, clouds & the sun, and when ever I'm i the back seat of my own car I really appreciate the extra light.... Pano roof beats metal every time for me at least :)
I'd venture to guess that it doesn't get to >40ºC in Norway, as is common in many parts of the USA! And lower latitude here means more overhead sun exposure.

Living at moderately high altitude (2340 meters) at 38º latitude, and having difficulties with glare (remnants of cataracts), there is no way I want a glass roof on my car. I don't want to have to wear a broad brim hat while I drive.

Rear passenger had his head near touching pano roof and said uncomfortable - would not want to ride long distance with that heat/light. In front, I wanted to close the opaque slider...but there was none.
So - for me - Metal roof. But - I'm open for information that makes pano purchase a worthwhile investment from me now to be passed on to the next owner in 3-5 years.

If you had a back seat passenger with his head near the glass, then the metal roof would likely be uncomfortably low for him, as you do get some extra space with the panoramic. The panoramic is also more desired and will likely have some resale value over metal, but it probably won't get you $1500 extra. So if you really think it will bother you, just get the metal.