Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stopped Roof Rack Noise & Whistle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From just my own anecdotal experience... YMMV (with the knock-off rack, not Tesla's)
- wrapping a 5, or even 12' long 1/8", or 1/4" dia. bungee cord around the bar had nearly zero impact on noise. To my ears it was actually worse, since not only did it do nothing for the whistle, but it added a hum.
- The RhinoRack inserts to the channel look super-great, fit snug, etc. but only very slightly diminished whistle. Of very little value.
- the AeroGrip strips are hands-down, overwhelmingly, nothing-else-even-close the most effective. They get a little bit better if combined with the RhinoRack inserts, placing the aerogrip strips just infront of the RhinoRack inserts. I can still hear it up there, but down to an acceptable annoyance level.

What would be _really_ nice is if someone made minimal (and silent) "feet" that used the magic bolts to the roof to which cross-bars could be quick-release attached/detached when needed. The feet to be just left on w/o noise or efficiency cost. Anybody at Yakima/Thule listening?

Reactions: ICE_Free and xls_
Hi I wanted to also share my experience with the Talsem Model Y roof rack. This rack came with some rubber pre-installed in the slot but was sub-flush. When driving in this configuration the rack whistled at really high pitch and was quite annoying. In the box was also this rubber strip shown below that when added removed the whistle but replaced it with a low frequency droning or whirring sound. So I decided to try these Rhyno Vortex Strips. They completely silenced the noise. I couldn't really hear anything even up to 90mph. You will need 6 strips (was like $25 total shipped) and they fit in easily. Each piece is about 15in so you'll need to trim the final one for both cross-bars. You don't have to remove the sub-flush thin rubber filler in the Talsem rack.

I only use rack attachments that clamp around the bars at this point, so I don't worry about the slot. If you needed access for a mount of some sort, I'd imagine you could easily modify it to work. Enjoy your quiet driving!

Note- As you can see from the images, the Rhyno strip is much slimmer and has the vortex inducing pattern. The stock strip that came with the rack was much harder to install and stood more proud.

IMG_1293.jpeg

IMG_1294.jpeg
IMG_1301.jpeg

Reactions: Gaige
This topic was a great find for me. I have had my OEM roof rack since last year and I thought that I would have to live with the whistling sound. At first I thought the whistling sound is coming from the gap between the roof rack base and the roof. But after seeing this post, I ordered nxtgen aerogrips but then I saw neva6 post so I ordered that one. It looks more integrated with roof rack. Can't wait to get it.

This topic was a great find for me. I have had my OEM roof rack since last year and I thought that I would have to live with the whistling sound. At first I thought the whistling sound is coming from the gap between the roof rack base and the roof. But after seeing this post, I ordered nxtgen aerogrips but then I saw neva6 post so I ordered that one. It looks more integrated with roof rack. Can't wait to get it.
For me having both was actually the best combination, ive tried them both. If you actually use the rack a lot, I find the integrated ones you referenced don't hold up so well. As shown, they are much thinner and also have the grooves by thinning out between even more. My NXTGEN grips are in front of that thick rubber, so it still stops the noise but leaves a thicker and more durable area to put things on. This prevents the integrated one from constantly tearing. Also, the ones referenced is many small pieces for some reason. The thick integrated one is just ones piece, maybe the extra movement of several pieces is part of why they tear more easily? After some trial and error, my best combination is the included integrated strip with the NXTGEN on tight up against the front of it. Options are always nice though!

For me having both was actually the best combination, ive tried them both. If you actually use the rack a lot, I find the integrated ones you referenced don't hold up so well. As shown, they are much thinner and also have the grooves by thinning out between even more. My NXTGEN grips are in front of that thick rubber, so it still stops the noise but leaves a thicker and more durable area to put things on. This prevents the integrated one from constantly tearing. Also, the ones referenced is many small pieces for some reason. The thick integrated one is just ones piece, maybe the extra movement of several pieces is part of why they tear more easily? After some trial and error, my best combination is the included integrated strip with the NXTGEN on tight up against the front of it. Options are always nice though!
Thanks for the insight. I will keep this in mind.

Reactions: WattWaster
This was a really excellent find for me. Have had these on for several months and they have worked really well. Went to find this thread to buy another set for our new Tesla coming soon. The original link is now expired, but was able to find a new Amazon link for the same product. Thought I'd share for those interested: NXTGEN EasyFlow Mask: Aerogrips
I finally installed a set yesterday on the full width of both official Tesla bars.

I did a quick test drive on the highway today, nothing scientific, just my first impressions. On the bright side, my minor whistle (not noticeable with music on) seems to be gone. On the down side, the wind noise seems to have increased.

One tip. I am very glad that I put down masking tape before applying Goop to the ends as the instructions suggest. The minimum quantity of Goop that I could achieve substantially exceeded the amount I wanted. Fortunately, it was easy to wipe off the excess with a paper towel, then remove the masking tape to handle the rest.

Replaced the OEM rubber insert with the ryhno vortex insert and it seems to have quieted the whistle a bit and made it more intermittent but it doesn't eliminate it for me. For ~$15 it was worth the effort but wish the sound was gone.

My OEM roof rack for my model 3 never made any noise whatsoever

Replaced the OEM rubber insert with the ryhno vortex insert and it seems to have quieted the whistle a bit and made it more intermittent but it doesn't eliminate it for me. For ~$15 it was worth the effort but wish the sound was gone.

My OEM roof rack for my model 3 never made any noise whatsoever

Almost a year later and still going strong. Adhesive is still good. I've seen people have good experiences in other Tesla groups too. The NXTGEN Aerogrips are the way to go if you have the annoying whistle!! The rhino ones are made to insert into their bars. You can use them on others but it seems like it is hit and miss. The Aerogrip ones were made to be added to bars so they see to work better as an addition to various types.

• Informative
Reactions: PNWLeccy
Also, wondering if I remove the OEM Tesla roof rack rubber insert, will it be easy to reinstall it? From pictures, it doesn't seem like an easy re-install since the rubber insert part that sits below the bar seems to be quite bulky.