Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stopping at red lights corner case

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the upcoming stop at traffic light FSD update coming out soon, there are unexpected corner cases that could pose a risk. Found this on Instagram where the system thinks lights the back of a semi are red traffic lights. I hope stuff like this get iron out before the official update before our cars slam on the breaks

video found here

@teslamax.dk on Instagram: “FSD I guess it's not possible to overtake before the traffic light turns green . Credit: SavedTesla (twitter) . . Don't forget to…”

Sigh.

There are a number of occasions where situational awareness appears not to be taken into account and this is one of them. What must the car be 'thinking' to believe that a traffic light junction moving at 70mph is a likely real scenario? Another example where continual situational awareness could rule out highly improbable scenarios.

Another example is the car braking for an overhead junction/roundabout at end of the offramp when the car never turned onto the offramp and was and continues to navigating a set route under the junction.

It strikes me that the car may be purely reacting to events on a frame by frame basis with little or no input from contextual awareness.

It strikes me that the car may be purely reacting to events on a frame by frame basis with little or no input from contextual awareness.

There’s actually quite a bit of evidence in the car’s behavior that the current versions of Autopilot are only looking at a few frames at a time.

I think having the car build a persistent worldview and adjust the evaluation of the current frames based on that persistent understanding will be one of the keys of making FSD work - and likely on of the most challenging parts, especially the weighting of “what I think I see now” vs “what I thought my surroundings were.”

Tesla is well situated to do that, though, with all the cars running around to generate edge cases and shadow mode to trial different weightings.