Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stopping mode and very tight space

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a M3 LR on the way (June 12-30). We have an odd garage and on my side length is very limited due to mud room jutting in. I have literally a few inches to spare on either end of the car when garage door closed. Yes my car choices are very limited due to this. I use a laser pointer parking aid to assist me with current and prior cars. The M3 will be even a slightly tighter fit than my current car (I did measure and it does still fit with 2-3” on each end). I love the one pedal driving (on test drives) but wondering if this is going to be problematic maneuvering into my garage and having to inch forward or backward very slowly. I guess I could always switch stopping mode just for parking. Anyone have experience with super tight spots and what stopping modes are feasible? Thanks.

the good news is that the cars parking sensors will display the measured distance on the screen, which is way more useful than changing frequency of the beeps.

the bad news is that it is slightly cumbersome and annoying to change the drive mode (Hold to Roll/Creep) every single time. i think you can wrap it into a driver Profile, so all you have to do is tap and swap the profile instead. but if you put it in the standard mode (Normal/Sport accel + Hold mode), the throttle is ultra sensitive and difficult to module for inch-precision.

Reactions: calidreamz808
the good news is that the cars parking sensors will display the measured distance on the screen, which is way more useful than changing frequency of the beeps.

the bad news is that it is slightly cumbersome and annoying to change the drive mode (Hold to Roll/Creep) every single time. i think you can wrap it into a driver Profile, so all you have to do is tap and swap the profile instead. but if you put it in the standard mode (Normal/Sport accel + Hold mode), the throttle is ultra sensitive and difficult to module for inch-precision.

Good to know, thanks. Assuming creep mode is the way to go for best inch by inch control I had wondered if setting a "garage" profile was an easy way to accomplish this but without having the car yet didn't know.

I think this may be the last car I'm going to be able to get away with without having to look into modifying our garage. I've had several BMW 3 series in here (current models are now too long) and currently an Alfa Romeo Giulia but the trend is everything gets longer each model change. Not much else in this class fits anymore. Fortunately the model 3 will fit and is the car I really wanted but who knows what will be in a few years. My wife won't even park my car in the garage as she's too afraid to scuff it.

Attachments

• IMG_2647.jpeg
    IMG_2647.jpeg
    482.8 KB · Views: 133
I don’t think you’ll find that Stopping Mode makes it any harder to park in your garage.

Thanks. Will just have to wait and test it out on arrival. So hard to wait. I wasn't even planning to order yet as I have 5 months left on my current lease but after test driving last month I didn't want to drive anything else and couldn't resist.

While I do not part into a carage, I currently have an outdoor carport, and I'm 'lucky' enough to have a spot with a support pillar on one side. I have no probems whatsoever with the accuracy of the guidance lines on the main rear camera (though I do like having the confirmation of the repeaters), and further have no issue whatsoever inching forward or backward with the car set into Hold Mode. However, some people have reported less-than-ideal behavior when the area on which precise maneuvers is not level or close to it. If your garage is level, you'll be fine. If it's not, do some testing before making a choice.

Have a M3 LR on the way (June 12-30). We have an odd garage and on my side length is very limited due to mud room jutting in. I have literally a few inches to spare on either end of the car when garage door closed. Yes my car choices are very limited due to this. I use a laser pointer parking aid to assist me with current and prior cars. The M3 will be even a slightly tighter fit than my current car (I did measure and it does still fit with 2-3” on each end). I love the one pedal driving (on test drives) but wondering if this is going to be problematic maneuvering into my garage and having to inch forward or backward very slowly. I guess I could always switch stopping mode just for parking. Anyone have experience with super tight spots and what stopping modes are feasible? Thanks.
Congratulations!

Similar situation here and I use one-pedal and sport, just takes a bit of practice. One thing I did add was a quarter sheet of plywood (leaned against the workbench) so the sensors have a nice flat object. I also know, based on how it's placed, that when I can't see the ground between the plywood and the bumper, (and when she 'yells' STOP!) I'm where I need to be.

Summon is great if I'm about to leave and need to access the trunk first.

Good to know, thanks. Assuming creep mode is the way to go for best inch by inch control I had wondered if setting a "garage" profile was an easy way to accomplish this but without having the car yet didn't know.

I am not convinced that creep mode would be easier to control, because this means you are constantly trying to stop a collision with the wall.

Once you get the car and get used to it you will see that it is quite easy to move the car an inch or 2 using only the accelerator. I personally use HOLD mode, which I prefer over ROLL mode, but the dynamics of moving slowly forward is the same.

The car does have obstacle-aware acceleration which will help in close quarters too.

I have a cement filled steel pole at the end of the garage (there to protect someone plowing into the hot water heater) that I wrapped in really thick (about 8inches thick) protective foam. My M3 fits in the garage with 4 inches to spare, and in order to make it fit, I have to inch forward until i touch the foam. It only took me a few days to get used to the one pedal driving in Hold mode. You’ll get the hang of it really quickly.

Once you have done it once the first time with a look out person and assist at the front put heavy paving stones against the front tires and you will go no further forward. I change the confg on my two garage parking spaces 2 times per year to accommodate a snowblower behind the car and other winter needs and I use these paving stones to limit the forward progress and they work well. They are about 2 inches thick by 8X12 inches so they are heavy and it stops the car easily.

Reactions: LionXng

I think this may be the last car I'm going to be able to get away with without having to look into modifying our garage. I've had several BMW 3 series in here (current models are now too long) and currently an Alfa Romeo Giulia but the trend is everything gets longer each model change. Not much else in this class fits anymore. Fortunately the model 3 will fit and is the car I really wanted but who knows what will be in a few years. My wife won't even park my car in the garage as she's too afraid to scuff it.

I have a pretty tight fit too, and dont have any trouble inching in with the car in normal one-pedal driving mode.

I am not convinced that creep mode would be easier to control, because this means you are constantly trying to stop a collision with the wall.
creep = the car creeps very slowly by itself. your modulation is the brake. at the absolute worst case scenario, the car stops.

hold = the car does nothing by itself. your modulation is the (sensitive) accel. at the absolute worst case scenario, the car puts a hole in the wall.

logically Creep makes it much easier to control at small distances.

Once you have done it once the first time with a look out person and assist at the front put heavy paving stones against the front tires and you will go no further forward. I change the confg on my two garage parking spaces 2 times per year to accommodate a snowblower behind the car and other winter needs and I use these paving stones to limit the forward progress and they work well. They are about 2 inches thick by 8X12 inches so they are heavy and it stops the car easily.
That sounds like a great idea. I think wood boards would do the trick too?
creep = the car creeps very slowly by itself. your modulation is the brake. at the absolute worst case scenario, the car stops.

hold = the car does nothing by itself. your modulation is the (sensitive) accel. at the absolute worst case scenario, the car puts a hole in the wall.

logically Creep makes it much easier to control at small distances.
I think the logic is flawed; worst case for both is a hole in the wall.

I would just create a specific driver profile for parking. Then you tap on it, far more convenient than having to go into the menus to change anything.

Having said that, I would also consider backing in, and using the cameras with the side cameras on. Paint some lines on the floor.

Lastly, or maybe firstly, I would modify the mudroom to create more space.