TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Storage & Charging Advice...

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Scene, Jan 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Scene

Scene Member

Due to a shoulder injury I've been unable to drive my Roadster for two months and possibly not for several more weeks yet :-(

I don't have a garage, and so it's left outside. Occasionally a friend takes it for a short drive.

I was leaving it unplugged and kept the charge level around 50%. However after several weeks outside it's been regularly refusing to commence charging except after a drive - due to the well known condensation error issue.

So, now I keep it plugged in constantly on Standard Mode but I'm concerned that it's sitting with a full Standard charge for such extended periods.

Should I put it in Storage Mode instead? Is Storage Mode ok when the car is kept outside over a (UK) winter?

Thanks!

2. MileHighMotoring

I'm sure this isn't inexpensive, but can you rent a garage for the duration of your convalescence? The one thing I've learned about these cars (and been told explicitly by my Service Advisor) is that Roadsters don't like to sit. They magically develop problems when they don't get driven. And can imagine that is even worse when stored outside in bad weather.

3. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Staying at full standard charge (83%) is not bad on the battery and will keep it balanced. If it gets too cold for the battery it will autmatically warm it up. Mine has been plugged in 95% of the time for the last 7 years and the battery is holding up well.