Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Storage in Cabin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello.

The only issue I have with my new Model S is the storage in the cabin. I usually keep some spare bags in the front door pockets but I can't do that. Putting them it he middle just causes a head ache when I try to get to my phone.

Anyone else got any solutions?

Tim

Hello.

The only issue I have with my new Model S is the storage in the cabin. I usually keep some spare bags in the front door pockets but I can't do that. Putting them it he middle just causes a head ache when I try to get to my phone.

Anyone else got any solutions?

Tim

The obvious answers are the frunk or the boot.

That's a fair point. However if you just want to store a couple of reusable shopping bags there's no obviously place to put them.

like you would leave you phone ,wallet ,loose change or anything you would normally put in little compartments in the frunk or boot...
mine has that stupid boat deck design i didnt think about it at first but now it really bugs me.
main faults

no door pockets
the arm rest is to high (with no adjustment)
the cupholders are where your elbow is (the designer must have no arms or never has a coffee in the car)
no hangers for a coat or shirt in the rear
no light for the vanity mirrors
intereior lighting is rubbish (too dark and not enough of it)

i could go on but they reall should have had a propper interior designer do the job for them.....

store a couple of reusable shopping bags

I stuff them in the cubby holes [at either side] in the boot (the ones that connect underground to the big recess once the boot floor-door is lifted)

My model (slightly before Refresh, but with whatever bits they had Inventory for fitted!!) has a central console - from arm rest going forwards I have flip-up-lid into a small compartment that will take wallet, coins etc. It also has a phone-charger dock. In front of that is a much bigger cubbyhole with a (horizontal) sliding lid/door. That has removable partitions for cups; I've never put a cup in there, but it keeps my keys in place (anything loose travels at the way to the front otherwise ... I could perhaps do a quick 0-60 just before my drive to move everything not nailed down to the back? :cool:)

Coming up from that, just under the central screen, is a shelf. Wifee didn't spot that that was there for some months, so maybe others haven't either. If you are feeling flush you can get a nice pull-out drawer from Carina

My door handles will also take a few small items. It doesn't seem to me to be a good place to put anything thought.

I have my screen-cleaning-rag/sponge thingie under my seat ... that's not brilliant either.

no hangers for a coat or shirt in the rear

I've been thinking of getting some coat hooks. Only possible if you have runroof though

'HookUp' Coat Hooks - Set of Two for Tesla Model S
T-Hooks for Model S (set of 2)

intereior lighting is rubbish (too dark and not enough of it)

Easy to fit replacement bulbs - pop the old ones out and the new ones in. Bjorn has a video on it. I've got a set here (from Abstract Ocean), just not got around to fitting them yet.

I also fancy some poncy door puddle lights ... can't make up my mind if they are a bit Boy racer for me, or whether passengers will assume they are standard and think "Why don't all cars have those" ...

I expect folk already know of Will Fealey's blog, but in case not it has a really useful set of articles, including plenty about accessories. Plus he's a thrifty guy :)

I also umm and ahh about:

3D-printed phone charger:

image.jpg

Central wheel wraps

cd0434_d0834838a2f44b8c809e664e1c88dcc4~mv2_d_2048_2048_s_2.webp

Yup, I don't disagree, but I suppose its just a viewpoint, and different brands see such things differently. There are several prestige brands that I just don't get on with, for one reason or another ...

I'd like intermittent wipers to work really well on a £100K car too, and feet-heat ... and FM radio reception on Radio 4 ... and a bunch more things if I put my mind to it

Trying to think of accessories I have bought for other vehicles, in the last decade. Air-pump-and-puncture-gunk is probably about it. Had to buy that for Tesla too ...

... but I'm saving over £200 a month of fuel so I have a bit of a budget (already spent on finance-savings of course but, hey, its allowed using my man-maths :) )

Reactions: busaman
I keep the shopping bags in the smuggler's hold under the floor in the back. I recently got seat covers and they have pockets on the back that will come in handy for some storage. The poor storage in the passenger compartment is a frequent complaint with the Model S.

It could be worse, I had a loaner that pre-dated the center console and I only had a few things to carry in the car (phone and sunglasses case), but they slid around all over the place while I drove. It was annoying.

Reactions: busaman
yeah i know but those little exras should all be part of a £100.000 car

Not everyone wants these things

I dont want door pockets - I only end up keeping junk in them anyway, I love the fact the car is clean and tidy
I dont have a problem with the armrest - the only reason I know some others do is a few complaints on here
I never have drinks in the car - too much risk of spillage ruining the interior
I have never hung a jacket up in the rear of my car as it obstructs the view
Vanity lights? - well talk about first world problems
I find the interior lighting is just fine

There are a couple of things I would want is one pocket to keep some loose change in and somewhere to put my phone safely.
(the pocket under the main display is pretty hopeless as with every WOT everything comes flying back out - so this would be the obvious place for a drawer)

The point being that just because a few people say they want lots of extra features that doesnt mean that everybody does.
I look a Merc interiors (and Audi increasily the same) and just cringe at the fussy bling details.

A major point here is that Tesla had to get the MS to the market and fast, this was really an existential issue for them. To do so meant that they simply did not have time to engineer countless widgets for the car, furthermore they have to maiximise profit too, in order to reinvest in the M3.
The fact that Tesla have always been supply constrained to date tells me that desipte some whinging by a minority they absolutely have made the right calls on balance.
If you want to see how to do it completely wring - just look at Faraday Future who essentially have done everything completely opposite and consequently seem doomed to fail.

each to thier own but the option would be a starting point.. and im not saying countless widgets are needed just pointing out whats missing from most luxury cars.
the armrest is very badly designed even worse than a bmw 1 series with no adjustment at all not everyone is 6 foot plus tall..

i drive on average 6 different cars every day (being a diagnostics tech) so i get to see all the nice touches and the bad ones.

I fully appreciate people want widgets and options. But again I say that I look back at MB and others and cringe at all the rubbish they put in them in the name of "luxury". I mean the latest fad for quilted seats ffs - I would run a mile from any car with quilted seats - just horrible imo.

The armrest is not very badly designed either. I find it just fine, though I do accept that a few dont, but then I could say I prefer it to the RS5 armrest - does that make the RS5 badly designed?

For Tesla these were things that would take time to design, cost money and time to produce, and likely as not yield a whole bunch of complaints with said widgets and options not working properly due to limited time in testing.

For those that are desperate for widgets and option - there are plenty of other cars out there.

For those who want 200mile+ range, high performance EV, well Tesla is the only one out there, at least for now.
What most people lose sight of is that Tesla is the only significant new motor manufacturer to come into existence in the Western hemisphere in living memory, and that achievement alone is quite staggering.

Widgets and options will come in time, for now just enjoy the car as a wonderful car to drive and own, and for the awesome and unique engineering feat that it is.

Reactions: paso904
As a slightly different slant on the above - historically whenever I changed car, my immediate thoughts on getting the new car would turn to, what am I going to buy next?

Try as hard as I can I simply cannot come up with a car that I would change the Tesla for other than another Tesla.
No other car has done that to me. Ever.

I have even been watching the new Alfa Guilia Quattrofoglio - nice car - but for me Tesla killed it, and makes it look like a dinosour.

I fully appreciate people want widgets and options. But again I say that I look back at MB and others and cringe at all the rubbish they put in them in the name of "luxury". I mean the latest fad for quilted seats ffs - I would run a mile from any car with quilted seats - just horrible imo.

The armrest is not very badly designed either. I find it just fine, though I do accept that a few dont, but then I could say I prefer it to the RS5 armrest - does that make the RS5 badly designed?

For Tesla these were things that would take time to design, cost money and time to produce, and likely as not yield a whole bunch of complaints with said widgets and options not working properly due to limited time in testing.

For those that are desperate for widgets and option - there are plenty of other cars out there.

For those who want 200mile+ range, high performance EV, well Tesla is the only one out there, at least for now.
What most people lose sight of is that Tesla is the only significant new motor manufacturer to come into existence in the Western hemisphere in living memory, and that achievement alone is quite staggering.

Widgets and options will come in time, for now just enjoy the car as a wonderful car to drive and own, and for the awesome and unique engineering feat that it is.

I completely agree and think we do need to look beyond the lack of, for example, a rear armrest and look at the achievement made so far. Before I made the decision to buy one I was comparing it to my existing 1 year old Lexus. The Lexus has all the of the bits mentioned as missing already, and the vanity mirror on S isn't illuminated either etc etc.

Then I compared the important bits, except I couldn't because the Lexus doesn't compete. The Lexus infotainment system is poor but at least Lexus do OTA updates to improve the car during my ownership. Oops, no that's the Tesla. For me, I'm accepting that it won't have the little bits and pieces that frankly I can live without.

That said, the Model 3 is going to have to some of that stuff if it's going to appeal to mass market and they are certainly going to have to improve their comm skills, handover processes, repair/servicing turnarounds etc.

And as for :eek: Faraday No Future! Not enough money to fund the factory build and display a car that didn't even demo properly at the same time.

Reactions: paso904

im not dissagreeing with the fact the tesla is a fantastic car but has its pitfalls like all other makes..i love mine i think its great as for the armrest surely absalutley no designer would put cupholders where your elbow goes..

Yeah I l know it has a few foibles, mostly stuff that doesn't really bother me, but no other car ... well is a Tesla.

Let's face it, if a few nits about armrests, cup holders and a bit of storage is all we can come up with, I'd call it a pretty good first effort at a mainstream ev from a new manufacturer really. Sure they'll have to up their game in future but I can see them doing this - and some.

Show me another 4/5 door car that can repeatedly do 0-60 in 4 secs and cost me 4GBP/100 miles a day whilst not polluting the air around it, and that I don't have to stand around in spilt diesel and sand refilling at a garage every other day, and I will be happy to take a look.

...and I'm still like a kid every time a software update arrives - no other car ever done that for me either!

:)

As a slightly different slant on the above - historically whenever I changed car, my immediate thoughts on getting the new car would turn to, what am I going to buy next?

Try as hard as I can I simply cannot come up with a car that I would change the Tesla for other than another Tesla.
No other car has done that to me. Ever.

I have even been watching the new Alfa Guilia Quattrofoglio - nice car - but for me Tesla killed it, and makes it look like a dinosour.

I'm about the complete opposite of the spectrum from you with new cars. The last car I bought before my Model S was in 1992 and I drove it for 24 years, not even thinking of replacing it until recently.

However, like you, I am put off ICE forever. I see cars on TV and the noise they make when they start I cringe a little. I was in a drive through last night and the car in front of me was spewing a lot of stuff from the exhaust pipe (it was very cold and most of it was water vapor, but it was still annoying) and I thought, "the guy behind me isn't experiencing this!"

I tried watching the first episode of The Grand Tour the other night to see what all the fuss was about. I had seen a little bit of Top Gear and agree with my SO that it was basically Jackass with cars. It was unwatchable, in part because the three of them come across as something that rhymes with "anchors", but they were also singing the praises of some very expensive cars that were IMO junk compared to Tesla. The Grand Tour struck me as Jackass with Cars with a bigger budget.

But I digress.

I am one of those who think the Model S could do with a bit more interior storage, but that's about my only complaint. It's otherwise just about as perfect as a car can get. If I ever end up with an ICE again, it's going to be under extreme duress!