Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Storage in "Sail Pillars"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was reading through the Cybertruck specs and saw:

"Storage capacity: 100 cubic feet of exterior, lockable storage including the vault, frunk, and sail pillars."

Including the Sail Pillars? So what, do they open up or something? Or maybe they're even REMOVABLE for better blind spot vision? If so, that sure woulda been nice to see during the reveal last night...

There's no evidence of the outside opening that I've seen - and those sail panels on the outside look like a critical portion of the structural solution, so I don't really expect them to open.

My guess is the inside of the sail pillars opens in some areas, into the bed side of the pillar.

...sail pillars...

Sorry, but what is a sail pillar? The slanty part alongside the bed?

From TechCrunch.com: Sail Pillars are critical structures for towing for both Tesla on the left and Honda Ridgeline on the right below:

sailpillar2.png

I have no idea how to create storage from sail pillars but it looks like there's potential room for this black triangle on the right side:

MotorTrend.com

Tesla-Cybertruck-Electric-Pickup-Truck-Exterior-Bed-Rail-and-Rear-Window.jpg

I was reading through the Cybertruck specs and saw:

"Storage capacity: 100 cubic feet of exterior, lockable storage including the vault, frunk, and sail pillars."

Including the Sail Pillars? So what, do they open up or something? Or maybe they're even REMOVABLE for better blind spot vision? If so, that sure woulda been nice to see during the reveal last night...

During the live unveil, you can see the Frunk , underbed storage, and Sail Pillar storage compartment open on a slide during the presentation.

Attachments

• 8j75zghdta041.png
    8j75zghdta041.png
    806.3 KB · Views: 489
During the live unveil, you can see the Frunk , underbed storage, and Sail Pillar storage compartment open on a slide during the presentation.

I can see the Frunk on the left, the underbed storage in the middle, but the slide on the right is a view from the front toward the rear and we see the left rear tire hub and the rear cargo door, on on that door there's a triangle which does look like a sail standing up from the two feet/posts on the door.

I thought that door is a buit-in ramp, so it is unlikely there's enough room to hide this sail into the door for other storage.

Ax3t10S.jpg

Last edited:
I can see the Frunk on the left, the underbed storage in the middle, but the slide on the right is a view from the front toward the rear and we see the left rear tire hub and the rear cargo door, on on that door there's a triangle which does look lie a sail standing up from the two feet/posts on the door.

I thought that door is a buit-in ramp, so it is unlikely there's enough room to hide this sail into the door for other storage.

Ax3t10S.jpg
It's a nice feature, hopefully its large enough to be usable to hold tie down straps, bungie's and small storage equipment. The frunk will be huge, so that's where I would imagine most tools, hitches and "truck stuff" will be kept.

It's a nice feature, hopefully its large enough to be usable to hold tie down straps, bungie's and small storage equipment. The frunk will be huge, so that's where I would imagine most tools, hitches and "truck stuff" will be kept.

Stuff that doesn’t get used much I’d probably put in the Trunk under the Vault. More frequently used things would likely go in the Frunk or Sails.

So many great options... :)

This entire area in the vault is going to be a huge WOW!!! session once you get the truck. Yes, the C-Pillar area is integral for structural integrity, towing, etc.. It is also part of the designed and built factory camping top.

14330FB2-9D89-4B86-8AEC-6FB2D1EC7678.jpeg

5535105F-A804-4678-91A8-CEB2E02DD891.jpeg

They'll fit, work, being highly functional with minimal stress to the drive.

Their R&D has integrated the greatest ideas from several industries, into one product; light duty trucks, the overlanders, campers, contractors, off-roaders, competition, and the soccer mom/dads.

Reactions: E Dizzle
I can see the Frunk on the left, the underbed storage in the middle, but the slide on the right is a view from the front toward the rear and we see the left rear tire hub and the rear cargo door, on on that door there's a triangle which does look like a sail standing up from the two feet/posts on the door.

Ax3t10S.jpg
The "feet/posts" are the hinges on which the door swings open, revealing the interior storage cavity. It (the door) is not verical, it is a little above horizontal to allow access without poking your eyes out. Perspective messs with our minds! :D

Storage on the sides of the vehicle is something that has been done in trucks for many years. The Ram truck has it (the Ram Box) and the Nissan Titan has it as well (I'm sure others have had/currently have it). Personally, I don't like them because of the way I use my truck and they also are very easy to break into.

Ax3t10S.jpg
Armed CyberTrk copy.jpg

Reactions: KBF and LionXng
The sail pillar storage could be a good place to stash the extra solar panels for the CT to get the charge rate up to/over 45 miles/day :) . Or, someone could design a custom toolbox that can secure frequently used tools that will raise up when you open the SPH (sail pillar hatch).