TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Store/Service/Delivery Center - Central Jersey - Lawrenceville NJ

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by FrozenSTIFF, Apr 14, 2018.

1. RDaneel

RDaneel Member

I checked the site a week ago and there is absolutely no visible progress compared to my photos from June. Unfortunately, something seems to have stopped the project. No idea if it is permitting, inspections, a shift in the target opening date, etc.

2. Cirrus MS100D

Cirrus MS100D Member

Argh! Thanks for the update - was hoping to be able to schedule annual service there this fall, but looks like we'll still be out of Devon, PA.

3. GNDSparrow

GNDSparrow New Member

I drove by on Saturday 9/15 looks like the building is done but, no equipment in the service area yet and no sighs on the building or in the shopping center. hope this opens soon.

• Helpful x 1
  4. RDaneel

RDaneel Member

Just to clarify, I think Sparrow means "exterior" is done. The building lacks interior walls, fixtures, etc., as well as any heavy equipment, furniture, IT gear, etc. that will need to be installed to begin operations. Unfortunately, the entire summer seems to have been wasted. I wonder if there is a permitting issue or something.

5. RDaneel

RDaneel Member

Unfortunately, I still see no visible progress on this location. I'll post an update when I see some movement.

6. Cirrus MS100D

Cirrus MS100D Member

Doh! Thanks for checking - I keep secretly hoping you will one day post, “Looks like they’re just waiting for the paint to dry!” But I suspect they’re still working through delivery hell and simply can’t/don’t/won’t divert resources to new stores and SCs at this time. Maybe end of Q1 2019?

7. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

I was here this past weekend. The building itself looks done aside from any Tesla branding. But the interior is no where close. There’s no shop equipment as an example.

It makes me wonder if they’re actually trying to transfer the dealer license as someone previously mentioned or if they’re in the background pushing for additional licenses.

8. nikolanj

nikolanj Member

I heard recently that the delay is due to government regulations that allow a limited number of Tesla stores in NJ, and so they either need to close/merge a store into the Princeton store, or they have to somehow get permission to add another location in the state. Not sure if that's correct or not, just relaying what I've heard.

9. Cirrus MS100D

Cirrus MS100D Member

I think New York has a similar restriction, but I can’t believe they’d put in the time and effort to buildout the facility, lease the land, etc., unless they were REALLY sure they could open it? While it might not be ideal, they could keep it as just a service center, though I’m sure that’s not ideal from their perspective.

10. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

That was discussed in the beginning of the thread. They will just turn another location into a gallery and not do actual sales there anymore. Or they could just use this one for service and not sales.

I suspect its just that they don't want to devote the resources, both cash and personal to opening a new facility right now.

11. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

Or more difficulty than anticipated in switching an existing dealer into a gallery. Due to “dealer” requirements and ownership.

The SC is definitely needed to bridge the gap between Springfield and Cherry Hill (both in NJ and PA) based on the online scheduler, it wasn’t uncommon for me to see Cherry Hill being a 1-2 week window, Springfield 1-2 mo, and Paramus 1-2 ml the away.

• Informative x 1
  12. wise82guy

wise82guy Member

Rolled through Mercer Mall today, no significant progress since ~September visible from the exterior of the building.

13. Cirrus MS100D

Cirrus MS100D Member

When I was at Devon the other week (and they were slammed...) I asked about the new SC and they said they weren’t totally sure what the hold-up was, but speculated a lack of resources to manage the project, hoarding cash for Q4, etc and presumed it MAY see progress in Q1 2019.

They stressed this was all their opinion, though, and had zero inside knowledge of specifics.

14. NJturtlePower

NJturtlePower Living the Dream, Driving the Future!

Still waiting on this Princeton/Lawrence Twp. location is seems... I heard from Springfield a rumor about a March 2019 opening, but take that with a grain of salt. :rolleyes:

15. jdccar

jdccar Member

It’s now 3/4 of the way through March. Amount of salt starting to wreak havoc with my blood pressure. Anyone heard any news?

16. Kentrock1

Kentrock1 Member

Now who knows since Tesla is closing dealerships/service centers. I hope we get this one because Cherry Hill is a bit of a hike.

17. jdccar

jdccar Member

Yeah. I use Springfield, but same diff. My understanding is that they curtailed closures, but who knows.

18. jdccar

jdccar Member

FWIW: Was just at Springfield SC, and asked about Lawrenceville. The tech said it is slated to open in July, and they are eager for it to help with their backlog. Fingers crossed, but only lightly.

• Like x 1
  19. Kentrock1

Kentrock1 Member

I was at Cherry Hill last week and they were saying September for Princeton to open. That they were still working on approvals from the town.

• Like x 1
  20. Cirrus MS100D

Cirrus MS100D Member

Thanks for the update, both! End of the summer at least sounds semi-reasonable. Crossing fingers!