Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Store/Service/Delivery Center - Central Jersey - Lawrenceville NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like Lawrence Township approved a store/delivery/service center last year. Building is on the corner of the Mercer Mall property, right next to the Porsche dealership. A quick summary:
  • Federal Realty Investment Trust purchased the property.
  • Tesla is leasing the property from Federal Realty for 10 years.
  • Three car showroom in the front right, delivery area to the front left, and service area in the rear.
  • Four non-super charging stations in the front, not public, used for Tesla purposes.
  • 113 parking spaces
Board meeting minutes - Tesla application starts on bottom of page one.
Google Street view of building on August of 2017.
Google Maps view of general location.

Took some photos today to show the state of progress, which you can compare to the Street View. Building looks like it is several months from completion.

Front Corner.jpg
Front of Building.jpg
Right Side - Front.jpg
Right Side - Middle.jpg
Right Side - Rear.jpg
Rear of Building.jpg
Left Side - Electrical.jpg

Interesting. This one will probably take the sales license from the Short Hills location just like the new Cherry Hill location took the sales license from the Garden State Plaza location.

Sounds great and would be convenient for me since I drive by there every day on the way to work. There is one glaring problem though - Lawrence Township's permits office is notoriously slow to approve and inspect building permits. I lived in Lawrence for 10 years and got so fed up dealing with the lazy and incompetent clowns in the municipal offices that I finally threw in the towel and moved to the next township over three years ago. I have several friends in the construction industry and some of them actually started avoiding taking jobs in Lawrence. It took a better part of a year for that Lawrence Porsche dealership remodel to be completed.

Bottom line, add an additional 6 months to any estimate you might hear to when the service center might open. I hope I'm wrong and maybe the township turns its act around for a high profile company, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

This is fantastic news! Every time I pass that Porsche dealership (at least once a week), I think "it would be so much better if that were a Tesla showroom..." This location is a bit less visible from Rt. 1, but is located very close to Rt. 295 and fills a big gap in the NJ service center coverage map. I'm hoping my car isn't there much, but knowing this will be an option is a BIG deal for me as an owner in the area.

There is one glaring problem though - Lawrence Township's permits office is notoriously slow to approve and inspect building permits.

I have to admit, I've come across the same feedback in a commercial real estate context in the past year... in our case we did not move forward for reasons unrelated to it. The gist was that things take longer than expected, but they aren't impossible to work with.

Did they close the garden state plaza store?

It may still be open as a showroom, but they wouldn't do sales there if they moved the sales license. They have only 4 for all of NJ.

Correct, the GSP location is remaining but they won’t be allowed to do actual car sales there anymore. It’s just a gallery location now. At least they should still be able to sell solar panels and power walls there.

Correct, the GSP location is remaining but they won’t be allowed to do actual car sales there anymore. It’s just a gallery location now. At least they should still be able to sell solar panels and power walls there.

That’s just so silly. A gallery/Internet cafe would probably be fine. Sorry we can’t sell you the car here, but here’s what we do sell, and here is a computer. The homepage is our Tesla configuration page...

Reactions: madodel