Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stories about buying a Tesla, which causes sale of 911, Ferrari, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know I've read dozens of stories on these forums about someone buying a Tesla for the wife, then end up loving it so much, while consequently driving their current 911 / Lambo / McLaren, etc. so little, that they sell their 911 and purchase a second Tesla.

Have a friend who's torn between a Tesla and a 911, and I'm trying to "help" him, and I think showing him these stories will sway him. I let him drive my P85+, and it gave him goosebumps (which the 911 did not). He just loves the exhaust, and manual tranny, Porsche name, etc.

Has anyone collected these stories, or have one of their own to share? Thanks!

If gas is running through his blood, needs to hear the rumble, and all that... he'll need fixes from a gas car so 911 it is...

Or maybe find a great race car soundtrack, from a movie or something, get that on USB... rehearse a drive cycle that matches the noise... and go for a drive that way.. Cue it up and whoosh!

Maybe let him borrow it for a day? That's how you catch him on the hook and reel him in. The longer he has the car perhaps the more it would convince him.

I already knew I wanted to get a Tesla, however, when I went for a test drive for the first time, that really really sealed it for me. You gotta have that experience driving and being in the car. Stories are not going to really do it justice.

I have both a 911, and an F80 M3. The Tesla is a commuter car, no more no less. The Tesla is not a sports car, nor is it trying to be one. Very strange to be cross shopping some very different cars.

No freaking way is this car just a commuter car... I highly recommend you find a long mountain road with twists, turns, dips, and dives and tell me this is just a commuter car. Nothing gets the blood pumping quite like taking an S turn at 45mph while driving with one pedal.

I have both a 911, and an F80 M3. The Tesla is a commuter car, no more no less. The Tesla is not a sports car, nor is it trying to be one. Very strange to be cross shopping some very different cars.

Agree to an extent. The Model S is a daily driver that can launch your heart and lungs into your throat, if you want it to...and it can do it with no nonsense. There is something to be said for that. If you have an interest tracking the car, or taking it on the twisties at the weekend, then I can understand why a Porsche may suit. However, your 911, nor your M3, are going to give you the same feeling of acceleration that a P100D can provide.

My personal opinion is that if I wanted a "vehicle" that could provide something the Model S could not, I'd purchase a sportbike.

The Model S isn't an enthusiast car, and I agree that you have to decide what that may mean to you.

Last edited:
Agree to an extent. The Model S is a daily driver that can launch your heart and lungs into your throat, if you want it to...and it can do it with no nonsense. There is something to be said for that. If you have an interest tracking the car, or taking it on the twisties at the weekend, then I can understand why a Porsche may suit. However, your 911, nor your M3, are going to give you the same feeling of acceleration that a P100D can provide.

My personal opinion is that if I wanted a "vehicle" that could provide something the Model S could not, I'd purchase a sportbike.

The Model S isn't an enthusiast car, and I agree that you have to decide what that may mean to you.

Agreed. While it ticks off some boxes for enthusiasts, such as instant torque and low COG feeling during turns, it's still a 4500lb car, that is not nimble on it's feet. For dialy commuting, where stop and go is king, it's the PERFECT car. I love it for that.

I have to clarify, that I bought my Tesla as my commuter. I don't expect it to feel like an M3 in the twisties, much less my Carrera 4.

No freaking way is this car just a commuter car... I highly recommend you find a long mountain road with twists, turns, dips, and dives and tell me this is just a commuter car. Nothing gets the blood pumping quite like taking an S turn at 45mph while driving with one pedal.

I would not put the Tesla in the same class as the 911 or other true sports cars. But it seems to me that it performs quite well compared with other sports sedans, especially the larger ones. Glancing over the Car &Driver road test summaries, the skid pad performance of the Model S was quite respectable.

But I agree that it is odd to be deciding between a 911 and a large sedan, or any type. Different machines, different purposes....

You forgot to write: "In my opinion".
I cross shopped 911 for Tesla in the past and know others who did too. And I personally think Tesla especially P models are a lot more fun to drive than 911 and M3. Not talking about track driving but legal driving on streets.

Last edited:
Reactions: OBX John
Bought my wife a P100D, and 3 weeks later traded my 2016 Z06 Vette for a Model X 100D for her and I am driving the S now. In 90%+ of driving time the Model S is more fun and for daily driving it is much nicer to drive. The torque from the P100D is just addicting even compared to the Z06.

I still have a Porsche, but rarely drive it. Porsche makes excellent performance cars that are terrific daily drivers. So does Tesla. Porsche is better on the comfort and luxury, but Tesla is the better car to enjoy driving with a smile.

I bought a 2016 MS P90DL new. To me, it was the best car I had ever driven (and still pretty much is). But, it still is not quite a 911. The P90DL actually handles quite well. I've driven Smoky Mountain roads pushing motorcycles through the twisties. But, the size and weight of the car still had me desire a 911 (991.2 C4S), which I bought 4 months later.

I'm not one that cares for the noise of a 911. But, there is nothing that beats the handling. For me, the only thing better would be an all electric 911. It will come...it has to since Germany is banning ICE by 2030.

Sorry Tesla enthusiasts, MS and MX are replacements for gas SUVs and premium sedans, but are no replacement for true drivers cars. I am lucky enough to be able to have a MS as a commuter (replaced a Range Rover), but it is nowhere near as exciting as my weekend driver’s car. Sure when I first got it, I skipped a few weekends in the performance car while enjoying the novelty of the MS. But now I’m back to looking forward to the weekend after the week with the, well, frankly, a bit sterile driving experience in the MS.