Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stories about buying a Tesla, which causes sale of 911, Ferrari, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A lot of people keep saying this. Keep seeing hundreds of these comments under every Tesla article in mainstream car mags "Im not buying a Tesla until I can run a full lap on Nurnburg Ring" Seriously? If this was that important to everyone, why is Ford F150 America's most sold car, can't take it to Nurnburgring any more than a Tesla.
Is this some sort of Don Quijote fantasy world that people live in? As fun as it is to drive on a track (yes I have raced both MC and cars on track) I have noticed that it is a minority of the population who take their cars to the track. And of that minority there is an even smaller minority who take big expensive family sedans to the track. Neither seen a Tesla, nor an S class or a 7 series on a track other than on youtube. Even the sports cars that this Thread was about, most of them never see a track.

You easily rack up $10k in repairs plus a month in the body shop at even the slightest touch with another car on the track if you want to bring a Tesla back to road worthy looks. Is this what all these commenters are doing after the weekend? Or do they store their Teslas banged up waiting for the next track day? Just curios because it must be a mass movement based on what I read in treads.

I would totally track my Tesla. I absolutely love my model S. However it just doesn't work unless you go Electric GT style which is so cool.

I do track my ICE car, about 5-6x a year and race cars as a hobby so I am not just a random commentator who isn't leaving the pavement.

The current Teslas don't satisfy that aspect for me. I love Ludicrous and the speed but I keep that on the track and not the street.

I do agree about the F150 comments and many others about Tesla can't be tracked by those who don't. It's not the market right now, just stating I have dual wants.

Reactions: comanchepilot
I would totally track my Tesla. I absolutely love my model S. However it just doesn't work unless you go Electric GT style which is so cool.

I do track my ICE car, about 5-6x a year and race cars as a hobby so I am not just a random commentator who isn't leaving the pavement.

The current Teslas don't satisfy that aspect for me. I love Ludicrous and the speed but I keep that on the track and not the street.

I do agree about the F150 comments and many others about Tesla can't be tracked by those who don't. It's not the market right now, just stating I have dual wants.
Agreed, it is fun. I have done it too, although not with a Tesla. I couldn't afford the risk of giving up the warranty or worse, salvaging the car right now and also and also imagine it be more fun to track smaller, sportier cars. Or purpose build race cars. If I win the lottery I'll see you at the track with my Tesla though :) especially if they make a more track worthy version.

If you've ever DRIVEN a 911 . . . . you're not going to be happy with a Tesla. And I mean DRIVEN a 911.

Tesla has thin tires for the weight. This is for energy efficiency. The tires are also low resistance, meaning they do not have soft rubber - so that 5700lb Model S might be a rocket off the line but you try to put that car in a turn at speeds, yeah, you're gonna get eaten alive by a 911 over a road course.

If you've ever DRIVEN a 911 . . . . you're not going to be happy with a Tesla. And I mean DRIVEN a 911.

Tesla has thin tires for the weight. This is for energy efficiency. The tires are also low resistance, meaning they do not have soft rubber - so that 5700lb Model S might be a rocket off the line but you try to put that car in a turn at speeds, yeah, you're gonna get eaten alive by a 911 over a road course.
I have driven both extensively, cross shopped and went with the Tesla in the end. Not for the grip of the tires, but for the long list of other benefits.

If you like spirited driving, here is one benefit we didn't realize until after we got the cars. That the outside world can't hear how you are driving. My friend and I were both shopping Porsche and ended up with P85s, 5 years ago. Never had so much fun in our lives! One day we took them to Seven Lakes Drive (At Bear Mountain, NY) and drove around there as fast as the cars would go. What a day it was, still smiling while remembering it.

The have a ranger standing out there listening for fast cars since this is arguably the best road close to NYC, a lot of people come. My friends had been there driving Ferraris the prior year, since they could be heard miles away, they all got busted after 20 minutes...

Last edited:
The Porsche Cayman S I’ve owned was the only car that gave me blood pumping feeling every time I got in it. The exhaust, engine noise right on your back, and the manual stick shift was just so engaging. It’s like a Go-kart. I would not cross shop a 911 and a S/X, but only as a complement for that occasion enjoyment. I still miss that car dearly.

Can’t say the same about the M3 with DCT or the Tesla. No doubt the tesla is great for daily driving, but it’s just not the same. It’s not always about acceleration.

You're about 1000lbs over on the weight of an S, the actual curb weight is between 4300lbs and 4960lbs depending on model.

• Informative
Reactions: Olle
Aha, like this you mean:

No - you will not be happy if you DRIVE it like Porsche and not like a minivan.

I've driven the 75D on a twisty mountain road here in SoCal. There is lots of body lean in tight corners and it feels like its will break loose as you close in on about .75g. The Tesla has rocket like acceleration - it would beat my Carrera 4 to 60 or 70 in a heartbeat. Handling not so much because its not tuned for driving like that. Well balanced? Sure.

My wife, who we ordered the car for, told me it reminded her of her Mercedes V8 CLK convertible. Smooth suspension sucking up the rocks and bumps but you're not really running it around a 180 degree freeway on ramp at 40. Even in sport mode. I can do a 180 on a ramp in my 911 at 40 and not even hear any tire chirping.

The Model S is a nice vehicle. It will do what we need it to do.