TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Stories of Tesla (Grin) Exchanges on the Road, (or in a Parking Lot)

Discussion in 'Model S' started by slovell44, Feb 20, 2014.

1. slovell44

slovell44 Member

I had a great exchange today on the freeway during a slow down. A black Model S pulls up beside me while I'm in my Prius. As this was the first time I've been this close to a Model S on the road I hurriedly grab the Tesla business card from my cup holder and hold it up to the window. He smiles and gives a thumbs up. I roll the my window down and he rolls his down. I say loudly "I just ordered mine! Estimated delivery March 26th!" To which he replied, "It will change your life! Congratulations!", and we were there for a moment with those grins on our faces and then he drove away. And now, I wait......and connect here on this fabulous forum!! Anyone else with stories from the road?

2. justaddsun

justaddsun Member

Man, I've had bad luck. I always seem to catch other owners off guard - no one waves. That's probably because I can spot a Model S from a mile away. I've also got tinted windows so maybe they can't see me so well, lol. But, last time I was supercharging, the two other owners I said hi to didn't feel much like talking Tesla. Oh well, I'll keep trying. ;-)

3. caddieo

caddieo Member

Too few MSs in my area for significant on-road encounters. But I've had it both ways at Superchargers. Some are open to entertaining or informative conversations and others go back into their shells after exchanging perfunctory greetings. Essentially no different from non-automotive social encounters.

4. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Just back from a 1,650+ mile supercharged roadtrip - college tour + family visit...

Drove from suburban Boston to the Greenwich, CT SC (operational but not on the map yet!) - empty
    Drove to Philly - drove through Temple U, went to Drexel U, charged during dinner with Drexel daughter
    and onto DE to supercharge again. Charged halfway at night since it was late.

Woke up the next day to continue the supercharge but since it was 22F the charging was slow!
    Drove to John's Hopkins and to the Bethesda, SC (met "GAS H8R" but he was pre-occupied with his son)
    and the Glen Allen, VA SC (met a nice couple who we passed on the road) and onto Norfolk, VA to visit my brother.

Left Norfolk after dinner the next day, back to Glen Allen to SC and met another couple on their way to RTP.
    Stayed near there overnight and drove to UVA (Charlottesville). On the way back from UVA I think we were alone
    at the SC or there was another car charging but unoccupied. Then onto Georgetown for dinner (and tour) with my niece
    and a second dinner in Bethesda at the mall with the SC with a college friend who lives 5 minutes away. We stayed near there.

The next day, a grand tour of UMD and we drove to the Delaware SC (empty) and ended up by Rutgers
    ironically (on the list of colleges but we chose this location because of the L2 charger nearby) Dinner with another college friend who lives a mile away.
    A wrapped Model S with lighted T charging next to me, never met the owner.

Yesterday, drive through the heinous NJ/NY traffic (pothole repair crews out) and pass the JFK supercharger,
    onto SUNY Stony Brook. Tour there, stop by Syosset, NY SC, meet nice couple with a CLEAN Mode S.
    Fight traffic to Greenwich SC (empty), leave. 30 mile traffic jam. Curse self for not checking traffic before leaving.
    Cut to I-84, slow down since the trip is longer. Make it home avoiding ice storm with 19 miles of range left. Phew.

5. jak

jak Member

I drove up and parked at a CVS near the holidays and there was a guy in uniform ringing the bell for the salvation army. I get out of the car and he says, "That's a fantastic-looking car! I have one on order!". To which I replied, "It's a great car; you will not regret it."

Then I went inside to pick up some medicine and while there, I thought... "Could a guy ringing that bell for donations actually afford one? Perhaps he can... whatever..." When I got back to my car, he asked me "Hey! What do you get on that car?". I replied, "excuse me?". He says "How many miles per gallon?"

6. NoMoreGas

NoMoreGas Member

I've had so many people come up and ask questions about my MS, my wife has asked me to be careful. One guy who I've come in contact with three times now always has different questions. Since he was a friend of a guy I knew, I gave him a ride so he could see how it felt. After two more times talking to this guy, who I now know as Mike, I was able to sale my first Tesla. He confirmed his MS 85 yesterday. Now if I could only get Elon or Jerome to cut me a check for my commission, I'd be happy. I've also have a couple friends of mine who are thinking of buying....one of which is serious. Commission please!!!

7. albiefett

albiefett Member

Great Story Jak! :)

8. MassX1317

MassX1317 Addicted to TMC

Aren't people who ring the bells volunteers? He is out there doing some good, why pass judgement about his finances? Maybe he was overseas for many years with nothing to spend his money on so he put it all towards paying off his mortgage and now has a bit of extra spending money. To say the car was on order he knew what it was because ICE cars are sitting on dealer lots. Maybe he was asking about MPGe and he is too busy volunteering instead of learning all the proper terminology here. He could have just ordered it because he could afford it and everyone has been telling him it's the best car you can buy.

9. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

+1!!! I have volunteered with Salvation Army for years. And just for the record, I paid cash for my Model S.