TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

storing second set of wheels

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by brianman, Aug 30, 2013.

1. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I wasn't sure which sub-forum to put this in, as it's a fairly general question.

I have two sets of wheels: 19 and 21. I plan to only have one on the vehicle at a time. ;)

Generally I expect to have the "not on car" set of wheels in "ready" condition (tires mounted and balanced).

For storing in my own garage, I was considering getting something like one of these:

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=164
    HyLoft 1000 Multi-Tire Rack Storage - Amazon.com

General Amazon search:
    Amazon.com: tire rack

I like the idea of keeping them somewhat via mounted storage like this. But if that's a bad idea for one reason or another, I'm open to being convinced.

Recommendations? Warnings? Thanks.

2. dave

dave Member

I'm keeping mine stacked on each other in the corner of the garage. Hopefully that's not bad for them...

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Tires should be stored flat, not vertical. Use a pallet to keep them off the floor. Lower the pressure to 10 psi.

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Can you elaborate (on both)? Thanks.

5. jerry33

Storing tires vertically can create a flat spot or worse a weak spot in the tread, this is particularly bad when there are just two points (if there was a curved shelf that fully supported the tire tread, then that would be okay--I've never seen one though.

The low pressure reduces stress on the casing. Because it's not carrying any load when stored, there's no reason to have it at the working inflation pressure.

6. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

So it's best to store the tires in their side maybe with cardboard separating the rims? Thanks.

7. jerry33

Yes, although the cardboard really isn't necessary for the tires. It might be necessary for the 21" wheels.

8. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

To emphasize this... the bottom wheel should not be touching the garage concrete. It needs to be on wood.

9. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

This is a great thread, as I'll be doing the same here soon. Switching to 19s for the winter... probably in October.

10. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

A picture is worth a thousand words... Stacked horizontally on wood:

2ive0xz.jpg

Tires from another car, not my Tesla.

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Both rears or fronts, I presume?

- - - Updated - - -

Due to the responses here, I started scouting for racks that allow you to store the tires horizontally. Either I'm using the wrong search terms or they don't exist. :(

Maybe I'll have to makeshift one from some shelving.

I'd really like to get the tires off the floor and out of the way -- i.e. reclaim some floor space, and avoid various critters getting comfortable in them.

12. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

13. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

I have homemade shelving in my garage. Two 2x12s wide - a lower, middle, and top shelf. This is perfect for storing tires, they hang over just a little. Very functional and inexpensive.

Totally random picture of my garage... you can see the lower and middle shelves in the background:
    Garage.jpg

My tire pic from the previous page is actually one rear and one front. Two rears dont fit as they are 13" wide rims!

14. LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke Model S P85DL

My "tire tree"
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378020375.200227.jpg

15. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Interesting idea, LuckyLuke.

I was considering coming up with a spindle method (think clothing rack in your closet).

16. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

I use a set of these for storing my off-season wheels. The picture is a bit inaccurate though. It actually comes with dolly wheels on the bottom for ease in moving it around.

CTC may not ship internationally though.

17. barbja

barbja Member

Is there anything wrong with storing them outside? They'd be covered and elevated off of the ground. I don't have nearly enough room to store 4 wheels and tires in my garage except in or on my car.

18. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I use. Mine does not have the dolly wheels, but I can see how that would be handy.

19. jerry33

If they are covered, elevated off the ground, and in the shade, that should be fine. the main problem with outside is ozone (and rain if they are unmounted). The cover and shade should keep the ozone and heat off.