TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Storing your UMC

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by ModelS8794, Jan 9, 2013.

1. ModelS8794

ModelS8794 Member

Curious for those already charging their Model S nightly, do you leave your UMC attached to the garage outlet when you leave for your daily commute, or take it with you all the time? I plan on leaving it at the house (very rarely travel more than 10 miles or so) and am trying to find the right storage solution.

Most importantly, if the UMC is left plugged into the 14-50 receptacle, does the Tesla end pose a hazard if left uncovered and my kids brush up against it (or jab it with metal implements, more likely?)

Ideally I'd like to find a storage solution like what comes with the HPWC:

doohicky.png

but haven't found one poking around on the interwebs just yet. Anybody know where to get something like this, to hang the cord around and that fits the Tesla end of the UMC snugly away from exposure?

Cheers,
    Alex

mods - please merge if I've missed where this has already been discussed

2. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Before my HPWC ships, it stays in the garage. After that, it will ride in its handy storage bag in the car.

if installed correctly, no. NEC and listing requirements ensure that the cord is not energized until connected with the Tesla safely, and must safely disconnect the power if something happens (like another vehicle breaking the cord in half). The UMC itself is a GFCI + contactor and will protect you.

That first 12" of cord between the 14-50 and the UMC's contactor are always live. As a result, I wouldn't recommend jabbing it with sharp metal implements.

I use a simple boat rope hook to coil the cord and I hang the Tesla end over the 14-50 adapter plugged into the outlet.

3. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

You really don't want to be plugging and unplugging a 14-50 outlet everyday. From what I understand the outlets are only made for a few hundred in and outs before they wear out enough to be a potential hazard so I leave mine plugged in all the time.

4. markb1

markb1 Active Member

It's looks like the same piece ought to work with the UMC. (Looking the the HPWC installation guide, that's called a cable dock.) Maybe if you ask Tesla they can sell you just that part.

5. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

Over on the Tesla forums, a fellow who got his HPWC said that he got no such cable dock with the charger. He was told that it was being redesigned and would be delivered later. So, it may be awhile before one would be available, if Tesla is willing to sell it separately.

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

The box in the cable is a safety mechanism. It has contactors that isolate the power when it is not plugged into the car. So the end of the cable should be very safe.

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

For the first few weeks (before I had the 14-50R and was using 110V/12A), I unplugged the MC and loosely laid it in the trunk (no winding or tidyness). In short, this was in range anxiety mode since 110V/12A never got me to a comfortable state of charge.

Since the 14-50R install:

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

After 2 years driving pure electric I can say the only thing you need in your car (possibly exceptions of road trips) is the J1772 adapter.

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Depends a lot on where you live. A little over a year ago J1772 adapters were pretty useless around here; when traveling I could only use my UMC. Fortunately that has all changed and the J1772 is now more useful.

10. bbmertz

bbmertz Model S: P4909

I leave the UMC in my garage and only keep the adapters in my trunk, unless I plan on a long road-trip. I unplug it after each use, perhaps erroneously thinking that it may still draw a small amount of charge or cause safety issues if left plugged in. While not in use, I loosely wrap it on a Racor hose rack installed near the outlet, which I ordered from Amazon:

Amazon.com: Racor SHR-1B SNAP2IT Hose Rack: Home Improvement

11. Ceilidh

Ceilidh Member

Glad to hear that one is working for you. Ordered it about 4 days ago myself.

Cheers.

12. rcc

rcc Model S 85KW, VIN #2236

My outlet is outside so it's on the side of the house and enclosed by a rain-box. The UMC cord isn't that long. I leave the UMC plugged in and drape the car-side end of the cord across the top of the box. That leaves the UMC connector face down. and the cord mess isn't too bad.

What I wish I had is a UMC connector cover just in case. But I think leaving the connector face down is pretty reasonable. I'm concerned about long-term sun damage to the rubber but we'll see how that plays out.

13. Andrew

Andrew Model S #6151

How about this one?

Our 240v outlet is being installed as I type this...so I'm excitedly Googling options for how to store our charging cable. Although this thread has been really helpful, none of the options so far really did it for me... I finally tracked down this one, designed for central vacuum hoses. Nice and small, inexpensive, and no sharp edges. I think we have a winner!

hanger-1.jpg hanger-2.jpg hanger-3.jpg

Found a few sources for these online - think I'm going to go with this first one 'cause they offer free shipping:... :)

http://www.ezvacuum.com/black-hose-hangers-for-central-vacuum-p-4241.html

http://www.centralvacuumfactory.com/product_info.php?products_id=41{1}27

Hose Hanger Central Vacuum Black Hayden | eBay

Also in white: Storage and Organization Items for All Central Vacuum Systems - MD Vacuum

(alternately - you could go SUPER fancy: http://www.hosehanger.com/ )

14. Andrew

Andrew Model S #6151

Just a quick followup on my last post. I ordered the "Hayden" Vacuum Hose hanger above from ezvacuum.com - but they sent me a different one (which happened to be hideously ugly), so I sent it back and then ordered one from "bbigdaddybboom" on eBay (as of right now, he still has 8 available, in case anyone else is interested). The plan is to keep it set up like this, unless we need to take it along for a road trip. :)

Attached Files:

15. Andrew

Andrew Model S #6151

16. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

Yes, indeed it does - just tried it. Be aware that the cable causes the connector to not sit very well in the holder. It's especially bad for the HPWC but the UMC doesn't appear to be much better.

17. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Personally, I just take good advantage of the ludicrous regulations that require a cut-out switch for the socket going to the safety device... (note the ridiculous electric car only sign).

IMG_2004.JPG

18. ElectricWeasel

IMG_20130819_121636_187.jpg The replacement HPWC cable holder works just fine with the UMC.

19. rlang59

rlang59 Member

Thought I would share my solution for this. Modeled and printed out on my 3d printer, I'm pretty happy with the results.

20130902_141226[1].jpg

20. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

@rlang59 - very cool! Any chance you would share the 3D files with other Tesla owners? My brother has a 3D printer and it would be neat to try making one. Also your hanger for the car end looks to be more functional than the HPWC hanger suppled by Tesla!