Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Storing your UMC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious for those already charging their Model S nightly, do you leave your UMC attached to the garage outlet when you leave for your daily commute, or take it with you all the time? I plan on leaving it at the house (very rarely travel more than 10 miles or so) and am trying to find the right storage solution.

Most importantly, if the UMC is left plugged into the 14-50 receptacle, does the Tesla end pose a hazard if left uncovered and my kids brush up against it (or jab it with metal implements, more likely?)

Ideally I'd like to find a storage solution like what comes with the HPWC:

doohicky.png

but haven't found one poking around on the interwebs just yet. Anybody know where to get something like this, to hang the cord around and that fits the Tesla end of the UMC snugly away from exposure?

Cheers,
Alex

mods - please merge if I've missed where this has already been discussed

Curious for those already charging their Model S nightly, do you leave your UMC attached to the garage outlet when you leave for your daily commute, or take it with you all the time? I plan on leaving it at the house (very rarely travel more than 10 miles or so) and am trying to find the right storage solution.

Before my HPWC ships, it stays in the garage. After that, it will ride in its handy storage bag in the car.

Most importantly, if the UMC is left plugged into the 14-50 receptacle, does the Tesla end pose a hazard if left uncovered and my kids brush up against it (or jab it with metal implements, more likely?)

if installed correctly, no. NEC and listing requirements ensure that the cord is not energized until connected with the Tesla safely, and must safely disconnect the power if something happens (like another vehicle breaking the cord in half). The UMC itself is a GFCI + contactor and will protect you.

That first 12" of cord between the 14-50 and the UMC's contactor are always live. As a result, I wouldn't recommend jabbing it with sharp metal implements.

but haven't found one poking around on the interwebs just yet. Anybody know where to get something like this, to hang the cord around and that fits the Tesla end of the UMC snugly away from exposure?

I use a simple boat rope hook to coil the cord and I hang the Tesla end over the 14-50 adapter plugged into the outlet.

You really don't want to be plugging and unplugging a 14-50 outlet everyday. From what I understand the outlets are only made for a few hundred in and outs before they wear out enough to be a potential hazard so I leave mine plugged in all the time.

It's looks like the same piece ought to work with the UMC. (Looking the the HPWC installation guide, that's called a cable dock.) Maybe if you ask Tesla they can sell you just that part.

Over on the Tesla forums, a fellow who got his HPWC said that he got no such cable dock with the charger. He was told that it was being redesigned and would be delivered later. So, it may be awhile before one would be available, if Tesla is willing to sell it separately.

For the first few weeks (before I had the 14-50R and was using 110V/12A), I unplugged the MC and loosely laid it in the trunk (no winding or tidyness). In short, this was in range anxiety mode since 110V/12A never got me to a comfortable state of charge.

Since the 14-50R install:
Before my HPWC ships, it stays in the garage. After that, it will ride in its handy storage bag in the car.

After 2 years driving pure electric I can say the only thing you need in your car (possibly exceptions of road trips) is the J1772 adapter.

Depends a lot on where you live. A little over a year ago J1772 adapters were pretty useless around here; when traveling I could only use my UMC. Fortunately that has all changed and the J1772 is now more useful.

I leave the UMC in my garage and only keep the adapters in my trunk, unless I plan on a long road-trip. I unplug it after each use, perhaps erroneously thinking that it may still draw a small amount of charge or cause safety issues if left plugged in. While not in use, I loosely wrap it on a Racor hose rack installed near the outlet, which I ordered from Amazon:

Amazon.com: Racor SHR-1B SNAP2IT Hose Rack: Home Improvement

• Disagree
Reactions: Beta V
My outlet is outside so it's on the side of the house and enclosed by a rain-box. The UMC cord isn't that long. I leave the UMC plugged in and drape the car-side end of the cord across the top of the box. That leaves the UMC connector face down. and the cord mess isn't too bad.

What I wish I had is a UMC connector cover just in case. But I think leaving the connector face down is pretty reasonable. I'm concerned about long-term sun damage to the rubber but we'll see how that plays out.

How about this one?

Our 240v outlet is being installed as I type this...so I'm excitedly Googling options for how to store our charging cable. Although this thread has been really helpful, none of the options so far really did it for me... I finally tracked down this one, designed for central vacuum hoses. Nice and small, inexpensive, and no sharp edges. I think we have a winner!

hanger-1.jpg
hanger-2.jpg
hanger-3.jpg

Found a few sources for these online - think I'm going to go with this first one 'cause they offer free shipping:... :)

http://www.ezvacuum.com/black-hose-hangers-for-central-vacuum-p-4241.html

http://www.centralvacuumfactory.com/product_info.php?products_id=41{1}27

Hose Hanger Central Vacuum Black Hayden | eBay

Also in white: Storage and Organization Items for All Central Vacuum Systems - MD Vacuum

(alternately - you could go SUPER fancy: http://www.hosehanger.com/ )

Just a quick followup on my last post. I ordered the "Hayden" Vacuum Hose hanger above from ezvacuum.com - but they sent me a different one (which happened to be hideously ugly), so I sent it back and then ordered one from "bbigdaddybboom" on eBay (as of right now, he still has 8 available, in case anyone else is interested). The plan is to keep it set up like this, unless we need to take it along for a road trip. :)

Attachments

• tesla-umc-hanger.JPG
    tesla-umc-hanger.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 1,281
  • tesla-umc-hanger2.JPG
    tesla-umc-hanger2.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 1,285
@rlang59 - very cool! Any chance you would share the 3D files with other Tesla owners? My brother has a 3D printer and it would be neat to try making one. Also your hanger for the car end looks to be more functional than the HPWC hanger suppled by Tesla!