Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Storm Watch Active in SF Bay Area - 2020-09-25

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Storm Watch is active in the SF Bay Area in anticipation of Red Flag Fire conditions later this weekend and early next week.

I was surprised to see my Powerwalls at 100% this AM.

Sam here. According to the energy graph, it looks like Storm Watch kicked in at 5am and my 3 Powerwalls are not at 99%, they were at 70% at that point, so it didn't take that long to get to 99%

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I am in Marin, North SFBay but I am not Storm Watch activated. I have SW turned on in my app.
My 3 PWs are at 27% and solar currently is going to the home and PWs with no grid being used.

SW must not be activated here because I see no alert and it is not drawing from the grid and I am connected to the grid. If it gets activated will PWs charge from the grid?

I am in Marin, North SFBay but I am not Storm Watch activated. I have SW turned on in my app.
My 3 PWs are at 27% and solar currently is going to the home and PWs with no grid being used.

SW must not be activated here because I see no alert and it is not drawing from the grid and I am connected to the grid. If it gets activated will PWs charge from the grid?

Since you are the North Bay they may not have activated Storm Watch for your area. I am in the Pleasanton in the East Bay.

And you will definitely see your PWs charge from the grid if it does get activated. I actually turn SW off this AM since I prefer to keep things topped off from Solar.

Last edited:

Yes, although there's a setting in the Customize section of the app to say whether you want your PW system to respond to Power Watch at all. If you have the toggle turned on (which I think is the default for new PW installs) it will do this.

Sometimes people don't want Storm Watch used at all, or they want finer control over when they charge from the grid (for example, not during peak pricing, or making sure they can still charge from solar).

Bruce.

No SW in Redwood City either. We were hit with some of the original PSPS but the last notice sent out excluded this area based on infrastructure, hospitals, etc.

We were also excluded because of the infrastructure designation on the recent shutdowns. Still, StormWatch is enabled. I don't know if Tesla's grouping matches PG&Es PSPS designations. I assume it is more related to NWS warnings and watches.

Perhaps this will add more information to when Tesla engages Storm Watch. Here is a snapshot of the red flag warning area at 1 PM Friday from Welcome to Red Flag Warnings & Fire Weather Watches. If you go to this page you can see they even split certain towns.

Red-flag-09-25.jpg

A Red Flag Warning is issued for weather events which may result in extreme fire behavior that will occur within 24 hours. A Fire Weather Watch is issued when weather conditions could exist in the next 12-72 hours. A Red Flag Warning is the highest alert. During these times extreme caution is urged by all residents, because a simple spark can cause a major wildfire. A Fire Weather Watch is one level below a warning, but fire danger is still high.

Last edited: