Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Storm watch active...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the same Storm Watch notification and also watched my Powerwalls charge at 6.6 kW. Kinda sucks to be sucking up that much juice during EV-A peak, but I already had set my Powerwalls to 80% reserve anyway (don't get much sunlight in the winter).

Oddly enough, when it said the Powerwalls were at 100%, it was still pulling around 2.4 kW... and then 1 kW... and now nothing. Maybe there's some auxiliary capacity it was also charging?

I got the same Storm Watch notification and also watched my Powerwalls charge at 6.6 kW. Kinda sucks to be sucking up that much juice during EV-A peak, but I already had set my Powerwalls to 80% reserve anyway (don't get much sunlight in the winter).

Oddly enough, when it said the Powerwalls were at 100%, it was still pulling around 2.4 kW... and then 1 kW... and now nothing. Maybe there's some auxiliary capacity it was also charging?

Same here. I'm guessing it was balancing all of the cells since for me it's been over 2 months since I've been able to charge to 100%. I like the idea of balancing all the cells if that is indeed what it was doing.

From what I have been able to discover is that the normal 100% on the App for battery capacity is actually 90% of the PW capacity. When Storm Watch mode is activated the batteries will charge to full 100%.

• Informative
Reactions: NuShrike
Commenting on the capacity, what was interesting to me is yesterday mine started out at 17% battery, and about 2pm PT it went into stormwatch mode and started charging from the grid. If I look at my all day charging, it put 13.3 kWh into the battery. The battery wasn't used at all during the day. I'm wondering with 17% battery and no other drawn usage, how would it report 13.3 kWh stored?

So, I did turn on Storm Watch last night. I have two Powerwalls and they started from 75% and charged at about 6.7kW from 11:20 to 12:30pm, then the charge tapered down until it was completely full at 1:50am. I turned off Storm Watch when I got up, so it started discharging during Peak at 2pm. It powered my house loads for more than 4 hours and discharged at least 3kWh (From Powerwall reading) before the reading dropped from 100%. I didn't catch exactly when it crossed over because I was driving at the time. By the time I checked it again it was down to 95% and 4kWh discharged.

2019-01-16_21-31.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Shygar
Probably 13.5 kWh as the original spec before it mysteriously dropped lower and proportionally the SGIP rebate also dropped.
It's a question of discharge rate. The higher the discharge rate, the lower the total useable energy. At the discharge rate that SGIP requires for the capacity measurement, the result was 13.2 kWh.

Cheers, Wayne

My understanding is that the duration of Storm Watch is not part of the ITC calculations which is why Storm Watch is automatically activated when the Feds issue the NWS alert. The duration of Storm Watch won't impact your tax credit, however it will impact your PG&E credits.
This is very interesting, and I wonder if there's any official tax documentation to corroborate this. Months ago, I turned off Storm Watch mode because I was concerned that it could interfere with our ability to claim the full ITC.

Last night, though, I had a change of heart. Our solar panels are now covered in snow and I unwisely left our backup reserve set to only 50%. We had a power outage last night that brought the Powerwalls' state of charge down to 43%, and much more snow is expected. I decided that I'd rather lose a bit of the ITC than risk our family going without power and heat, so I turned Storm Watch mode back on after grid power was restored. Like others, I had assumed that the Powerwalls would start charging from the grid, since there's a Winter Storm Warning in effect. But no charging has occurred; we don't have the highest level of NWS alert in effect.

I think I've just decided that a snow rake would be a good investment, after all. While only a small fraction of our overall, annual solar potential is lost because of snow covering the solar panels, we face a much higher likelihood of outages when snow and ice are present. We have a high roof, so a snow rake will need to have a very long pole to be useful. Any recommendations?

This is very interesting, and I wonder if there's any official tax documentation to corroborate this. Months ago, I turned off Storm Watch mode because I was concerned that it could interfere with our ability to claim the full ITC.

Last night, though, I had a change of heart. Our solar panels are now covered in snow and I unwisely left our backup reserve set to only 50%. We had a power outage last night that brought the Powerwalls' state of charge down to 43%, and much more snow is expected. I decided that I'd rather lose a bit of the ITC than risk our family going without power and heat, so I turned Storm Watch mode back on after grid power was restored. Like others, I had assumed that the Powerwalls would start charging from the grid, since there's a Winter Storm Warning in effect. But no charging has occurred; we don't have the highest level of NWS alert in effect.

I think I've just decided that a snow rake would be a good investment, after all. While only a small fraction of our overall, annual solar potential is lost because of snow covering the solar panels, we face a much higher likelihood of outages when snow and ice are present. We have a high roof, so a snow rake will need to have a very long pole to be useful. Any recommendations?

Just a question. I notice that many people are worried about meeting the ITC requirements.

Question: Are you worried because you're afraid that you don't have the data to provide should you get audited? I had thought the audits would go to Tesla and your local power company to provide data and not you as an individual owner?

From my understanding from some of the Tesla Energy folks, when the feds issue NWS alerts and the Powerwall so into Storm Watch, none of that time in the Storm Watch mode is part of your ITC requirements, so as long a NWS controls Storm Watch (either on or off), you're free and clear.

Realistically, with more and more households in the US submitting ITC rebates for Solar couple of Powerwall at the same time, I would think it would be impossible to audit every single one every year. They may choice a small sampling, but to be able to audit everyone single person would be not practicable (both from a time and money). I highly doubt that power companies would be able to provide data right away to the feds if asked too.

Even for my SGIP rebate from PG&E, Tesla had a hard time providing the needed data so that I could quality for SGIP. It was a long process, and when I hear from others in California who also got in on SGIP, there's took a long time.

My SGIP storm was documented very well here = Powerwall 2 "waiting list"

• Informative
Reactions: JES2
Normally, Powerwalls in the US are programmed by Tesla to only charge from solar, for customer who have solar. In the event of an audit, it doesn't seem that it should be difficult to provide the IRS with documentation to corroborate this.

The only concern is that Storm Watch mode entails charging from the grid. Oral statements from Tesla Energy employees, by themselves, probably shouldn't be taken as tax advice. If it's in writing from Tesla, then that would be a bit more solid. Best would be to have guidance in writing from the IRS. While the likelihood of being audited is low, you never know.

Perhaps one option in claiming the ITC could be to declare the Powerwalls as being 99% charged by solar, just to leave room for occasional use of Storm Watch mode. This would be a question for a tax accountant, of course. On the other hand, if those high-level NWS alerts are very infrequent, then perhaps this is truly not worth worrying about.
Just a question. I notice that many people are worried about meeting the ITC requirements.

Question: Are you worried because you're afraid that you don't have the data to provide should you get audited? I had thought the audits would go to Tesla and your local power company to provide data and not you as an individual owner?

From my understanding from some of the Tesla Energy folks, when the feds issue NWS alerts and the Powerwall so into Storm Watch, none of that time in the Storm Watch mode is part of your ITC requirements, so as long a NWS controls Storm Watch (either on or off), you're free and clear.

Normally, Powerwalls in the US are programmed by Tesla to only charge from solar, for customer who have solar. In the event of an audit, it doesn't seem that it should be difficult to provide the IRS with documentation to corroborate this.

The only concern is that Storm Watch mode entails charging from the grid. Oral statements from Tesla Energy employees, by themselves, probably shouldn't be taken as tax advice. If it's in writing from Tesla, then that would be a bit more solid. Best would be to have guidance in writing from the IRS. While the likelihood of being audited is low, you never know.

Perhaps one option in claiming the ITC could be to declare the Powerwalls as being 99% charged by solar, just to leave room for occasional use of Storm Watch mode. This would be a question for a tax accountant, of course. On the other hand, if those high-level NWS alerts are very infrequent, then perhaps this is truly not worth worrying about.

So this is where I get confused.

Your statement of "Powerwalls in the US are programmed by Tesla to only charge from solar, for customer who have solar." is only partially true. They are programmed to charge from only solar until the feds (NWS) issues a severe weather alert, which then tells the Powerwall that it is permitted to be charged from the grid.

I agree about the written statements from the IRS, however since both IRS and NWS are federal agencies, I would have to go with the notion that allowing Tesla to force Powerwalls to charge from the grid (when approved by NWS) is an agreement between all three (IRS, NWS and Tesla), along with the different power grid operator or maybe their association group.

In terms of calming the ITC, isn't this as simple as completing the 5695 (https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f5695.pdf) form? Maybe I'm missing something, but are you suggesting that we as homeowners need to attest to some sort of statement for ITC?

Note: In my case, I installed Powerwalls back in Sept 2017 and by themselves they do not quality for any sort of federal tax credit (including ITC). I did enroll in California's GSIP program which sent me a rebate check of $9200 back for my original $13,800 I spent on them (out the door with Tesla, including installation). I installed Tesla Solar in 2018, so the cost of my Panels + inverter was around the same, for which I plan to claim ITC. I just need to complete 5695 to get my 30% tax credit for my 2018 Solar install.

For those wondering, the reason why I split up my system is this.

My Powerwall installation (after all rebates) was $4600
My 3.2kw Tesla system (after all tax credits) was $9100 - I'm limited by roof space so 3.2kw is all I could install.
Total cost of my 3.2kw + 2 Powerwalls was $13700

Now I'm curious about this.

(a) How do people get audited for ITC? The ITC program has been running for over 5 years now, so I assume someone must have been audited or ask for evidence.

I leave my entire system, on Advance - Time Savings, and since I'm on the PG&E EV-A rate tariff, I set my peak, partial-peak and non-peak hours in the app, and let it do all the magic of when to consume from the Powerwall, grid, and solar, and when to sell back to PG&E.

as the famous infomercial used to say "set it and forgot it".

In terms of calming the ITC, isn't this as simple as completing the 5695 (https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f5695.pdf) form? Maybe I'm missing something, but are you suggesting that we as homeowners need to attest to some sort of statement for ITC?
My understanding, which may be limited as I'm not a tax professional, is that it is indeed as simple as completing that form. It seems that Powerwalls count as "qualified solar electric property" if they are coupled with, and charged by, a solar PV system. My impression is that you'd only need to provide additional documentation if the IRS should happen to conduct an audit.

In my case, it looks like I'm going to get zilch from SGIP unless Tesla is able to submit an application on my behalf at the eleventh hour. So I am keen to at least claim the ITC.

One quick comment: I believe the pro-ration of the ITC is only for commercial installations. For residential systems, I believe you need to charge only from solar. Ref: 2019 Energy Storage Tax Credits Explained | EnergySage

I think all of this info is correct, however there's no mention of NWS "severe" alerts that allow the battery to charge from the grid. This may be a new program or agreement between NWS and Tesla. I don't know if any other energy storage solution for residential use has something similar to StormWatch.

Dec - Powerwall OS 1.29 - Stormwatch was added for Australia and New Zealand
Aug - PowerwallOS 1.22 - Stormwatch was added a new feature.

I think we can all assume that time spent in Stormwatch is outside of the requirements of ITC, and that time duration will not impact any of the ITC formulas.