Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Storm watch and self-powered mode

jigs2008

Nov 29, 2020
Pennsylvania
So in central Pennsylvania, under a storm watch with tons of snow coming down. Just had Solar + 2 Powerwalls installed last month so it was a good experience to see what happens during a storm. A couple of questions, usually I have the system set to self-powered with 25% reserve, when storm watch kicked in yesterday, I switched it to backup mode only knowing that we will likely have outages (we usually do). This evening we lost power, the lights flickered (assuming it wasn't a clean outage) battery took over. However, I did notice that once the gird came back on, I changed it to self-powered mode with 50% reserve incase another outage happens, but it would not pull from the battery at all. It seems like when storm watch is activated you cannot operate in self-powered mode, is that correct? Also noticed that the power was out for about half-hour when it came back on it automatically topped off the battery back to 99% from the grid.

jedmo

Sep 9, 2020
Northern California
That is correct, if you are in the middle of a storm watch event, self-powered mode will not work if storm watch is activated. You would need to switch off storm watch in your settings for self-power mode to work. The app tends to error out when you try to deactivate storm watch (if you are in the middle of a storm watch event). Just close the app and reopen it, it should show storm watch deactivated. It will take 5 mins or so before self-powered mode will kick in.

Reactions: jigs2008

jboy210

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
Most important question. Did you have power when your neighbors did not? And did they notice??!!

We had an outage last week from 3 until 5 AM. We sleep through it and never even knew it happened except for a message on our phones when we woke up. My next-door neighbor's kids woke him up at 3:30 AM because the nightlights went out and they got scared. While stumbling around in the dark to find a flashlight for his kids, my neighbor noticed our outside lights. He stopped me the next to talk about Powerwalls.

jigs2008

Nov 29, 2020
Pennsylvania
Haha yes!! We have a family business right across the street but it must be on a different gride, when we lost power, I could see out the window they and down the street everyone lost power, it was pitch black with our house the only one with lights outside hahaha!

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC