Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Storm Watch Engaged NorCal 5/1/2021

wjgjr

May 11, 2020
Silver Spring, MD
Seems hit and miss whether or not you will be alerted I have seen ppl post no they just happen to see mode in app, some say notified.
Storm Watch puts your system in back up only mode with the added ”feature“ that this is only time majority of systems can and will charge batteries directly from grid, and it will do this regardless of time of day or grid charges. Once battery(s) full system will not utilize them at all unless an actual grid outage, no cost savings etc. batteries kept 100% until storm watch turned off or grid actually goes down
I wonder if maybe an alert only occurs in certain modes (and, in particular, not for backup-only) where it is affecting the current PW operation mode. I would still like to get a notice even in backup only, but that could potentially explain it if some are getting notices. I do get grid outage notifications, so I know they work but have never gotten an alert for storm watch.

Electrph

Aug 29, 2019
Central California
I wonder if maybe an alert only occurs in certain modes (and, in particular, not for backup-only) where it is affecting the current PW operation mode. I would still like to get a notice even in backup only, but that could potentially explain it if some are getting notices. I do get grid outage notifications, so I know they work but have never gotten an alert for storm watch.
I have read many ppl here keep storm watch off in fear of it charging batteries from grid at worst ($) possible time and would use it if it were more customizable

Mar 15, 2021
California
I have read many ppl here keep storm watch off in fear of it charging batteries from grid at worst ($) possible time and would use it if it were more customizable
When I used to keep mine on SW was triggered about halfway through my peak time. I'm glad I periodically check the APP just to see how everything is operating because I was able to catch it just as it started charging from the grid. I turned it off and a few minutes later it went back to normal, discharging the battery instead of charging the battery

Reactions: Electrph

wjgjr

May 11, 2020
Silver Spring, MD
Yeah, and that makes sense, which is why I thought there was no alert message, so if there is, that would certainly help people trying to avoid big electric bills, especially in places that tend to get a lot of these red flag warnings (but might actually not be at high risk for outages.)

It could well be Tesla is being lazy, but it may also be that they are intentionally keeping the options very basic because storm watch is potentially a bit of a gray area as far as the ITC goes (because it does involve grid charging of the PWs.)

RKCRLR

Apr 13, 2020
Garden Valley, CA
Storm Watch turned on for me and I got a notification (I use Cost Saving mode). The problem with the Tesla notifications is they are buried with dozens of other less important notifications. I don't look at my phone every time I get a notification.

aesculus

Still Trying to Figure This All Out
May 31, 2015
Northern California
On my Android phone my notification comes as an icon in the phones alert bar. I am in Cost Savings mode.

Yesterday the storm watch came when my battery was almost full (just an hour or so of peak period draw down), and I was producing good solar. So my grid impact to charge a few percent of the battery was minimal. My house is already geared to consume minimally during peak so I mostly exported energy during the peak until 7pm.

I will monitor it today and probably turn storm watch off for my peak of 3-7PM, and then back on again. Tomorrow, a week day, may be more interesting. It also depends on how windy it gets. It was breezy yesterday, but not windy. Per the NWS/NOAA I am not really in the RFW area but according to Cal Fire I am, so who knows what criteria Tesla actually uses to determine where SW takes affect.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
Seems hit and miss whether or not you will be alerted I have seen ppl post no they just happen to see mode in app, some say notified. (I suspect by notified they mean they went into app and saw it was in storm watch mode)
Storm Watch puts your system in back up only mode with the added ”feature“ that this is only time majority of systems can and will charge batteries directly from grid, and it will do this regardless of time of day or grid costs (how much excess solar production has to be available for system not to charge from grid I do not know) Once battery(s) full system will not utilize them at all unless an actual grid outage, no cost savings etc. batteries kept 100% until storm watch turned off or grid actually goes down (back up mode)

When stormwatch notifications work, I get a notification on my iPhones lock screen. As I mentioned, they dont always notify though. I thought I had a pic somewhere of what the notification looks like but I cant find it atm.

h2ofun

Aug 11, 2020
auburn, ca
What notification did you receive? If they have added something to the app, that is great news.
I just saw it on my phone, but before I totally read, I did clear. When I went back to try and seen where it came from, did not find. But then went
to the tesla app and saw SW on, so I turned it off, and still have it off. I will look more closely next time this happens.

h2ofun

Aug 11, 2020
auburn, ca
When stormwatch notifications work, I get a notification on my iPhones lock screen. As I mentioned, they dont always notify though. I thought I had a pic somewhere of what the notification looks like but I cant find it atm.
I think my android was on lock screen too when I looked.

SaveOurPlanet

Jan 6, 2018
San Francisco
For me I think storm watch is only beneficial during the low yield Winter months, I just went through 3 straight extreme foggy days and my 2 PWs only failed to charge to 100% yesterday, I still got 92%. I was tempted to turn on storm watch after 9:00pm to charge and keep PWs at 100%, but weather forecast told me that it would be sunny today and I only really need no more than 4 hours of decent sunlight to get 2 PWs to 100%. So I guess I would only turn on storm watch when I’m away.

Reactions: h2ofun

bjew

May 3, 2021
American Canyon, California
Anyone else in NorCal with Storm Watch engaged? I didn't see anything in my area that would trigger this.
Thank you for posting this thread. I'm a new Tesla Powerwall user and thought something was wrong with my system since Storm Watch seemed to be stuck when there is no rain in the forecast at all. I wish Tesla has a status page that shows when Storm Watch is on.

Reactions: jedmo

getakey

Jan 28, 2020
so I do monitor the site I posted and the red fire warning is over, but SW still shows in the app
I wonder if someone at Tesla has to manually turn on/off SW or if the data feed is a batch process that takes a while to update

Mar 15, 2021
California
so I do monitor the site I posted and the red fire warning is over, but SW still shows in the app
I wonder if someone at Tesla has to manually turn on/off SW or if the data feed is a batch process that takes a while to update
It’s automated. It usually takes a few minutes to a few hours to respond.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC