Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Storm Watch Engaged NorCal 5/1/2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whenever it turns on for me, I check the national weather service for my area and usually find some kind of warning in place that explains it.
Thanks for the Tip. I relied on weather.com which didn't show anything. Looks like a critical fire weather warning due to gusty winds and low humidity in the Sacramento area. This is in effect from Sunday into Tuesday

Reactions: jjrandorin
Thanks for the Tip. I relied on weather.com which didn't show anything. Looks like a critical fire weather warning due to gusty winds and low humidity in the Sacramento area. This is in effect from Sunday into Tuesday

Before I had powerwalls, I had no idea how many times I had "critical weather alerts due to high winds creating fire danger" in my area. I think stormwatch mode has been on 4-5 times for me this year already, sometimes for a day, sometimes for 2-3 days. Its usually high wind warning (creating fire risk) in my area.

Yes - its for fire danger. Mine is on too. There was a fire ~5 miles from us today. Luckily it was today and not tomorrow. They controlled it quickly and limited to ~100 acres. With high winds it could have done some major damage

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
Yep, mine turned on. Big wind and heat the next few days. But, disabled mine since during this time of year, I have plenty of solar so I want to stay off grid.

Same here. Last thing I want is for it to engage during peak time at 49 cents / kwh :( I'd keep it on if I could have "advanced" storm watch mode and choose not to charge during anything but off peak.

I did not notice this but mine was in storm watch too. Looks like it went on at 4pm so my batteries were fairly full then anyway. Probably only charged for 10 minutes or so, so no big hit on the power consumption side.
But, when in storm watch, it is in backup mode, so while grid on, the batteries, in case, were no longer changing the house and the solar going to the grid. So, I turned storm watch off.

Disabled meaning turning off main breaker? If so, what do you do with excess solar that battery or house cannot use?
As long as grid is up, things can work normal. I turned off in app. And then it went back to my normal balanced, house 100% batteries, all solar back to grid starting my 3pm peak. As of this morning, house still running off batteries 100%.

do you guys get a notification if storm watch turns on? or are you just checking the app. i am on iOS and i don't remember ever getting a notification, but for me it has only turned on 2 or 3 times in 6 months...
There are no app notifications for storm watch activating, though that would be a really nice feature.... We just had one out here on Friday for a high wind warning and I only noticed because we did have an outage (really just a couple momentary blips due to the wind) that prompted me to check the app.

• Informative
Reactions: astrorob
Yep. Red Flag Warning initiated
RF.JPG

This thread brings up a couple of questions I have and thought someone could answer them. I have storm watch on and I’m doing time based and cost savings. I run off my Powerwalls from 4 to 9pm which is my peak time. If storm watch is activated will I know and what happens with the Powerwalls.

This thread brings up a couple of questions I have and thought someone could answer them. I have storm watch on and I’m doing time based and cost savings. I run off my Powerwalls from 4 to 9pm which is my peak time. If storm watch is activated will I know and what happens with the Powerwalls.
When it turns on, as I saw yesterday about before 5, the battery goes into backup mode, so NO power to house. House went to solar and grid. When I turned SW off, went back to normal, all battery house, solar to grid

Seems hit and miss whether or not you will be alerted I have seen ppl post no they just happen to see mode in app, some say notified. (I suspect by notified they mean they went into app and saw it was in storm watch mode)
Storm Watch puts your system in back up only mode with the added ”feature“ that this is only time majority of systems can and will charge batteries directly from grid, and it will do this regardless of time of day or grid costs (how much excess solar production has to be available for system not to charge from grid I do not know) Once battery(s) full system will not utilize them at all unless an actual grid outage, no cost savings etc. batteries kept 100% until storm watch turned off or grid actually goes down (back up mode)

Last edited: