Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Storm Watch for 1/25/2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The thing is, the batteries are not a hassle at all for most people. It is only a extra workfor the minority (which is more heavily represented on this site) who really are interested in playing with the technology and/or are trying to squeeze all the value out of them. For most people, they make the decision to have backup power and/or load shifting, configure it, and forget. And it works well for that.

There are absolutely things Tesla could do to improve the software, including adding options to storm watch (which could include off-peak only options or options to only charge if below a certain threshold off- or on-peak) but these are, I suspect, not major concerns for most people. Additionally, while storm watch is great, it is worth remembering that it actually exists in a potential gray area with respect to the federal ITC, and adding more features such that it appears to make it easier to charge from, and potentially arbitrage with the grid, could invite more scrutiny - especially in areas of CA where storm watch is activating pretty frequently.
Yea, I love technology which is why I am here.

I guess the biggest issue is being forced to ev2-a tou. So for most folks it just seems not that simple. Meaning, with higher raters from 3pm to midnight, one could really get hit compared to tou-c rates.

Oh well, the fun is the game.

Yea, I love technology which is why I am here.

I guess the biggest issue is being forced to ev2-a tou. So for most folks it just seems not that simple. Meaning, with higher raters from 3pm to midnight, one could really get hit compared to tou-c rates.

Oh well, the fun is the game.
I think that is why a lot of us are here and are particularly attracted to Tesla solar, with its combination of great pricing and technology.

I have no doubt the calculations are pretty complicated for many of you in CA with the number of different rules and rate plans compared to here in MD, where I have essentially no choices right now. But, again, this is something most customers will look at once, configure their system appropriately (hopefully) and then not really touch. So, while the initial decisions are more difficult, once things are installed, I don't think most customers will spend a lot of time worrying about changing settings to maximize profit on a daily basis. That is different from this board where a lot of people do (and others like me might if we had access to rate plans or incentives where there was something that could be done.)

I think that is why a lot of us are here and are particularly attracted to Tesla solar, with its combination of great pricing and technology.

I have no doubt the calculations are pretty complicated for many of you in CA with the number of different rules and rate plans compared to here in MD, where I have essentially no choices right now. But, again, this is something most customers will look at once, configure their system appropriately (hopefully) and then not really touch. So, while the initial decisions are more difficult, once things are installed, I don't think most customers will spend a lot of time worrying about changing settings to maximize profit on a daily basis. That is different from this board where a lot of people do (and others like me might if we had access to rate plans or incentives where there was something that could be done.)
I agree that having TOU stuff, like in Calif, make this more or a challenge compared to where you life. But, it is great to share stuff here to see how we can make the best of it

We just received PTO for our Alameda (city) Solar Roof install w 2 PW. And of course, it's a pretty major storm tonight, with 40-50mph winds and power outages all over the region. I have the App set for Storm Watch on Standby but am confused why Tesla hasn't activated it for the greater bay area given the likelihood of widespread power outages.

We just received PTO for our Alameda (city) Solar Roof install w 2 PW. And of course, it's a pretty major storm tonight, with 40-50mph winds and power outages all over the region. I have the App set for Storm Watch on Standby but am confused why Tesla hasn't activated it for the greater bay area given the likelihood of widespread power outages.

Tesla is not entirely clear about all the conditions that trigger Storm Watch. However, it seems as though thunderstorms (even if the NWS issues a severe thunderstorm warning) are not guaranteed to trigger it. And my experience (on the other coast) is that it has seemed not to do so for me. From their website - Additional Powerwall Modes | Tesla Support -

Powerwall communicates with the National Weather Service to know when severe weather is on the horizon and automatically triggers Storm Watch. This mode pushes the limits and charges Powerwall to maximum capacity so it can provide backup power.
Note that Storm Watch only activates during severe storms that are likely to knock down power lines and cause outages, like hurricanes and ice storms. To best protect yourself from everyday weather events, keep a high reserve percentage or choose Backup-Only. As your Powerwall learns more about the type of storms that typically cause outages, events that trigger Storm Watch will be adjusted.

I do not know what NWS issued for severe weather alerts, but it is possible that even if one was issued that Tesla decided it was not the type they deemed "likely to knock down power lines and cause outages." I also wonder if it may not activate where warnings are not issued sufficiently far in advance (even though it seems useful even if you only get 15-30 minutes of charge.)

I do wish they were a bit more explicit - even something in the app noting there is a severe weather event that is not triggering storm watch would be useful to confirm it is not just a bug.

Tesla is not entirely clear about all the conditions that trigger Storm Watch. However, it seems as though thunderstorms (even if the NWS issues a severe thunderstorm warning) are not guaranteed to trigger it. And my experience (on the other coast) is that it has seemed not to do so for me. From their website - Additional Powerwall Modes | Tesla Support -

I do not know what NWS issued for severe weather alerts, but it is possible that even if one was issued that Tesla decided it was not the type they deemed "likely to knock down power lines and cause outages." I also wonder if it may not activate where warnings are not issued sufficiently far in advance (even though it seems useful even if you only get 15-30 minutes of charge.)

I do wish they were a bit more explicit - even something in the app noting there is a severe weather event that is not triggering storm watch would be useful to confirm it is not just a bug.
I lost power because of the winds knocking trim limbs down into power lines. Generator kicked in automatically. PW's would have been quieter

We saw some light flicker last night before bedtime. Didn't pay much attention. Today just checked backup history.
Yep, 23 sec outage yesterday, four 1 min outages today and one 5hr 8min from 1 AM. Electric clocks didn't show 0000, not phone answer machine. Great. Too bad it was after bedtime as I so want to turn on my outside lights and yard LEd lights at night when grid is down. :)