Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Storm Watch not charging!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Powerwall 2 entered Storm Watch mode last night due to a High Wind Warning in SoCal (interestingly, the prior Fire Weather Watch did not trigger it).

The app displays "Storm Watch" in yellow under "Powerwall" and "Active" in the customize settings. However, it is not charging from the grid and I'm stuck at my 35% power reserve due to the paltry solar production so far today. When I try to toggle Storm Watch mode it gives an error: "Failed to save Storm Watch settings".

Resetting the gateway and Powerwall does not resolve the issue. Storm Watch worked fine as recently as October. I'm on firmware 1.50.1.

Is anyone having the same problem, and/or ideas to try? Will contact Tesla support but not expecting much on a holiday.

To my surprise, I was able to talk to a very nice human at Tesla within one minute of calling.

He first claimed Storm Watch mode will not charge from the grid when there is any solar production (which I don't think is true, and doesn't explain why it wouldn't charge overnight).

Then he thought it wasn't charging because my home is pulling too much from the grid, which is only 0.9 kW (!).

He also claimed Storm Watch cannot be turned off once active. Again, not true from my experience.

That's 44 minutes wasted with a Tesla employee who knows less than the average user on this forum. I asked that it be elevated to tier 2 support...

To my surprise, I was able to talk to a very nice human at Tesla within one minute of calling.

He first claimed Storm Watch mode will not charge from the grid when there is any solar production (which I don't think is true, and doesn't explain why it wouldn't charge overnight).

Then he thought it wasn't charging because my home is pulling too much from the grid, which is only 0.9 kW (!).

He also claimed Storm Watch cannot be turned off once active. Again, not true from my experience.

That's 44 minutes wasted with a Tesla employee who knows less than the average user on this forum. I asked that it be elevated to tier 2 support...

Hopefully this gets resolved quickly. Keep us updated.

You should be able to toggle Storm Watch off and on. But don't do it too fast or you get that error. Wait for a few, say 5, minutes between state toggles. And then expect to wait more minutes before it has any impact displayed on the app.
You might also toggle the Customize setting to Backup-only since it sounds like that is what you are trying to achieve.

I thought Storm Watch should also charge ‘over’ 100% since 100% is really 90% so as not to overcharge the batteries but I’ve never seen that to be true (or it just doesn’t show a charge over 100 perhaps?).

Mine does charge when in SW but it’s always at 97 or above since it’s set to Backup mode.

Thanks for the help so far! Storm Watch still active now at night, and still no charging. Powerwall at 66% (from solar production in Back-only mode) with the home pulling only 0.4 kW from the grid.

SW error happens even if I've waited hours from last toggling it. Same error on both the iOS and Android apps.

@boaterva - Have you seen SW charging with firmware 1.50.1? That's the only change I know of to my system that may have broken the feature.

I have been on 1.50.1 since October 21st. I manually charged with Storm Watch on October 24 and 25 by toggling it on when I wanted it to charge. The Powerwalls charge at 3.3kW each in Storm Watch. They will take any available solar and will draw from the grid until they reach that charging power level. If you have Surplus Solar greater than 3.3kW per Powerwall, it won't draw from the grid at all.

Chart 2020-10-24.jpg

Thanks for the help so far! Storm Watch still active now at night, and still no charging. Powerwall at 66% (from solar production in Back-only mode) with the home pulling only 0.4 kW from the grid.

SW error happens even if I've waited hours from last toggling it. Same error on both the iOS and Android apps.

@boaterva - Have you seen SW charging with firmware 1.50.1? That's the only change I know of to my system that may have broken the feature.
Would have to have a storm... so, no. Last bad weather here was thunderstorms in the summer. :D. I’ve never seen SW work properly for my install and haven’t had the strength lol to get Tesla involved. Be nice to have the extra few percent of battery but would like to know if it’s supposed to show it’s charging to 105% etc or not.

Would have to have a storm... so, no. Last bad weather here was thunderstorms in the summer. :D. I’ve never seen SW work properly for my install and haven’t had the strength lol to get Tesla involved. Be nice to have the extra few percent of battery but would like to know if it’s supposed to show it’s charging to 105% etc or not.

When on SW, mine will charge to 97/98%. When not on SW, it goess to 100%.

Storm Watch stayed on for another ~36 hours after the wind warnings expired, and toggling the switch would not turn it off. Yet the whole time, it did not operate as if it was in Storm Watch (no charging from the grid, normal discharging when on Advanced mode).

It finally exited Storm Watch mode on its own and now I can toggle the SW option on/off without an error.

I still have no explanation for this, or any confidence it will work properly during the next Storm Watch event. Hopefully Tesla Tier 2 support will investigate and find the issue. Thanks to those that helped! I'll update the thread as I get more info.

I have the same issue in Long Island, NY. Severe storm, Storm Watch ON but no grid charging. I called and they pushed 1.50.2 to my Powerwall but to no avail. Then called again and they said many people are suffering and it's some systemwide issue. My case was upgraded to Tier 2, and now just waiting!!

Thanks @CMD1997!

I called Tesla again today to check on the status of the Tier 2 support ticket; no update. She recommended keeping Storm Watch turned on and using backup-only as an imperfect workaround. I'm expecting High Wind Warnings to take effect tomorrow so I'll have a chance to duplicate the problem.

I have the same issue in Long Island, NY. Severe storm, Storm Watch ON but no grid charging. I called and they pushed 1.50.2 to my Powerwall but to no avail. Then called again and they said many people are suffering and it's some systemwide issue. My case was upgraded to Tier 2, and now just waiting!!
Thanks @CMD1997!

I called Tesla again today to check on the status of the Tier 2 support ticket; no update. She recommended keeping Storm Watch turned on and using backup-only as an imperfect workaround. I'm expecting High Wind Warnings to take effect tomorrow so I'll have a chance to duplicate the problem.
I had that issue initially after PW installation. Called and it was resolved somehow. I only have 1.50.1 and after whatever fix they applied
it worked like a charm. When it was on, I toggled it to off as a test and as quickly as I could get to the right screen, it was off already.
Then, turning it on again, it was just as quick, lag of seconds only I speculate for time of signal to Tesla and back to battery.

Storm Watch activated again this evening for forecasted high winds. Working well now: charges from the grid and overrides Advanced mode (as it should). Turning SW off in the app still results in an error but when I quit/restart the app, it does quickly (~5 minutes) show the change (SW on or off).

Happy to have it back and still have the ability to control WHEN to use SW. Lately all of the SW activations have been during peak pricing periods so I prefer to wait until super off peak to charge from the grid.

Firmware is still 1.50.1 (today's Tier 1 rep reported 1.50.1 and 1.50.2 should have no effect on Storm Watch functionality).

If I had to guess, it seems like stormwatch essentially sets the PWs to backup-only mode + grid charging allowed. In backup-only, I always top out at about 98%. However, if I switch to time-based controls, it will push up to 100%.

Thats possible, sure. I use self powered mostly, which also charges to "100%" in the app, while stormwatch mode always charges to "99%". my area is under "psps consideration" due to high winds causing a red flag warning.

With Storm Watch (SW) active, my PW charged to 99% which then dipped to 98% by morning. There was no grid power loss so I assume this was the energy PW needed to run itself.

I turned off SW and the PW pulled from the grid in my normal Advanced mode, getting it to a full 100%. I visually confirmed this with the graph, so it doesn't appear to be a calibration difference between SW and normal modes.

Just turned SW back on and now we're ready for the winds (PSPS)!