Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Storm Watch not charging!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just experimented again with this SW, backup only, or self generating.
With SW on(not active, real storm) backup only goes to 99%. Changed SW off, no change, solar sent excess to grid, batt 99%
SW off, self powered selected, battery charging to 100% and still charging when 100% is indicated; been a few minutes, still charging. Spoke too soon, stopped charging finally, excess to grid.
Backup only, switched to SW. Battery at 100%, excess to grid, battery not discharging.
What a program.

While you are all here, where is the rule for not charging battery from grid except when SW on and activated?
Is it CA state wide, PG&E only? Nation wide in US?

I ask as people with Enphase system and Enphase battery on their forum are claiming they can or they are trying.

I just experimented again with this SW, backup only, or self generating.
With SW on(not active, real storm) backup only goes to 99%. Changed SW off, no change, solar sent excess to grid, batt 99%
SW off, self powered selected, battery charging to 100% and still charging when 100% is indicated; been a few minutes, still charging. Spoke too soon, stopped charging finally, excess to grid.
Backup only, switched to SW. Battery at 100%, excess to grid, battery not discharging.
What a program.

While you are all here, where is the rule for not charging battery from grid except when SW on and activated?
Is it CA state wide, PG&E only? Nation wide in US?

I ask as people with Enphase system and Enphase battery on their forum are claiming they can or they are trying.

Its currently a tesla rule US wide (so whatever enphase people are doing with enphase batteries isnt relevant for us here). Its unlikely enphase is selling the volume that tesla is, and has the scrutiny from a tax perspective that tesla will (my speculation). In any case, its US wide for tesla powerwalls.

Its currently a tesla rule US wide (so whatever enphase people are doing with enphase batteries isnt relevant for us here). Its unlikely enphase is selling the volume that tesla is, and has the scrutiny from a tax perspective that tesla will (my speculation). In any case, its US wide for tesla powerwalls.
So, it is not a utility mandate to not allow battery charging from grid when you have solar also and not in active SW in your area?
I thought it was a rule beyond Tesla after reading here. Maybe I am confused then.

So, it is not a utility mandate to not allow battery charging from grid when you have solar also and not in active SW in your area?
I thought it was a rule beyond Tesla after reading here. Maybe I am confused then.

Some utilities might mandate it, but tesla has chosen to basically say "no grid charging if you have solar with powerwalls" for people in the US as a blanket statement.

It is to be compliant with the Federal Tax credit

Thats what we think, yes... however (for example) whatever other battery storage system would have the same concerns, etc.

Its always been my (unsubstantiated) belief, that tesla unilaterally disables grid charging in the US if you have solar to ENSURE that people can simply claim the powerwalls under the tax credit, without having to jump through more hoops proving usage etc to do so.

Since tesla is the current leader in the US for residential battery storage, they (tesla) and people claiming the battery system (tesla customers) would likely be under more scrutiny during tax time without such a mandate by tesla. So, tesla just says "no grid charging if you have solar (and whispers, except for emergencies which is stormwatch).

Kind of like building codes that say so many of your home lights have to be XXX type so that the home meets certain energy standards, etc.

Anyway, those are my personal, no proof, unsubstantiated guesses as to what is going on, and why tesla does what it does regarding powerwall charging from the grid with solar, while some other manufacturers might not care as much (to get market share, etc).

My installer was not Tesla and they could install other brands. I asked them the differences and they said Tesla software far and away above the rest. Maybe the others do not have the features to (easily) prevent grid charging

My installer was not Tesla and they could install other brands. I asked them the differences and they said Tesla software far and away above the rest. Maybe the others do not have the features to (easily) prevent grid charging
That may be the case with Enphase as some folks on their forum are asking how to set battery top grid charge during low rates, usually after midnight. App is not seem to do it.

My Powerwall 2 entered Storm Watch mode last night due to a High Wind Warning in SoCal (interestingly, the prior Fire Weather Watch did not trigger it).

The app displays "Storm Watch" in yellow under "Powerwall" and "Active" in the customize settings. However, it is not charging from the grid and I'm stuck at my 35% power reserve due to the paltry solar production so far today. When I try to toggle Storm Watch mode it gives an error: "Failed to save Storm Watch settings".

Resetting the gateway and Powerwall does not resolve the issue. Storm Watch worked fine as recently as October. I'm on firmware 1.50.1.

Is anyone having the same problem, and/or ideas to try? Will contact Tesla support but not expecting much on a holiday.

I have the exact same issue. Does anyone know how to fix this? The storm is over! I want to go back to “Balanced” 4CCFF3C9-DB70-4DD4-AFBE-507D8EEB623B.png

I have the exact same issue. Does anyone know how to fix this? The storm is over! I want to go back to “Balanced”View attachment 615115

At least in my area of southern california, I have been in stormwatch mode since last wednesday, and the fire risk goes through next tuesday so I have no desire to turn it off.

Same issue happened to me just now. I had enough battery to get through the night (80%+) and yet Storm Watch wanted to pull during peak. I repeatedly tried to turn it off and kept getting the "Failed to save Storm Watch setting". Most settings occur fairly quickly for my setup, so it's odd that Storm Watch takes so long and/or doesn't set properly. The only solution was to turn off the batteries but that's no real solution at all. I've had Storm Watch before (during SCE's PSPS events and otherwise) and this hasn't occurred.

If I quit the app, it would show Storm Watch as off, but it kept pulling from the grid. It finally stopped at about 93%, but still shows the Storm Watch setting in Power Flow. Seems like there are some bugs to iron out for this setting.

Same issue happened to me just now. I had enough battery to get through the night (80%+) and yet Storm Watch wanted to pull during peak. I repeatedly tried to turn it off and kept getting the "Failed to save Storm Watch setting". Most settings occur fairly quickly for my setup, so it's odd that Storm Watch takes so long and/or doesn't set properly. The only solution was to turn off the batteries but that's no real solution at all. I've had Storm Watch before (during SCE's PSPS events and otherwise) and this hasn't occurred.

If I quit the app, it would show Storm Watch as off, but it kept pulling from the grid. It finally stopped at about 93%, but still shows the Storm Watch setting in Power Flow. Seems like there are some bugs to iron out for this setting.
Yep. You always have to quit the app to see the change when you toggle StormWatch off and on. Also, the change takes time as do a lot of things related to the grid. Usually, it is 5 minutes. But sometimes it can take up to 30 minutes before the batteries start or stop charging from the grid after you toggle StormWatch off or on.

Yep. You always have to quit the app to see the change when you toggle StormWatch off and on. Also, the change takes time as do a lot of things related to the grid. Usually, it is 5 minutes. But sometimes it can take up to 30 minutes before the batteries start or stop charging from the grid after you toggle StormWatch off or on.

I think the delay is fine but getting an error when changing the SM flag on the app is irritating.