Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

StormWatch Activated in NorCal [and parts of So. Cal.]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We lost grid power about 0200 here in Lafayette. Came back up around 0930.

Our 3 Powerwalls were in Stormwatch mode, so had about 98% charge at the time. We bottomed out around 0850 at 71%, at which point we had enough solar production to run the house and start recharging the batteries. Couple of observations:

1. In one of the 2019 PSPS events, we had some silliness with the TEG trying to raise the AC frequency to shut off the solar inverter...at night when there was obviously no solar production. This didn't happen last night/this morning. In fact it ramped the frequency down very gradually between about 0400 and 0500, to about 59.7 Hz. Not sure why it did that, but it didn't seem to have any adverse effect I could see.

2. This was all associated with a high wind warning that expired at 1000. Within a minute or so of that expiration, Stormwatch turned off.

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
I took some liberties with my mod status to change the thread title a bit so I didnt create a new thread (hope thread starter doesnt mind!), but stormwatch has been on for me for the better part of 4 days now due to fire hazard from high winds.

Just now, in fact (while powerwalls are in stormwatch mode), I got a notification from SCE that they had turned off power to parts of my zip code. My residence is not impacted yet, but parts of my zip code are:

SCE Safety Alert Public Safety Power Shutoff (PSPS) Notification.jpg

(edit: changed pic to thumbnail so it wasnt so huge)

Reactions: jboy210
Sadly I saw from noon news that there are fires in Santa Cruz Mts near Boulder Creek, Big Basin and Aptos, assuming from downed power lines. From what I saw last night on PGE’s Outage site no PSPS alerts were called. Also heard something about fire in Santa Rosa area; and that Milpitas and another area’s fires were put out.

The outage map had lots of pockets around the entire bay with power out. Strong wind events are likely to help push solar/battery back up install orders into the future especially if they become more frequent. Most people who have the ability to add the equipment will have a breaking point on outages before looking for stability. Given this wasn’t a PSPS event, I’m surprised they held off calling it one given the very dry nature of vegetation.

Our winds kicked up here and were pretty strong with gusts to 40mph. I know other areas were much higher. At one point heard I think a neighbor’s metal dining table or chairs crashing into something. Glad we built our backyard out with permanent structures including seating that will never be affected by the winds. Most is done in concrete and stone so provides a nice fire break for the house too.

Last edited:
Reactions: pilotSteve
Not sure why there was no PSPS in Sonoma county, we had major winds all day yesterday and still today. With the lack of rain this year and high winds not sure what the criteria is for a PSPS. Also my storm watch went off this morning even though we still have high winds.

I took some liberties with my mod status to change the thread title a bit so I didnt create a new thread (hope thread starter doesnt mind!), but stormwatch has been on for me for the better part of 4 days now due to fire hazard from high winds.

Just now, in fact (while powerwalls are in stormwatch mode), I got a notification from SCE that they had turned off power to parts of my zip code. My residence is not impacted yet, but parts of my zip code are.

With Powerwalls, other than a message on the app, how would you know the power went out? :D

With Powerwalls, other than a message on the app, how would you know the power went out? :D

Lol :cool:

In all seriousness, however, since my powerwalls are in stormwatch mode, its likely I would get a power blip during the swap over. I would be expecting lights to flicker, and my main TV (which draws too much power for me to put it on the UPS I have... lol) to possibly power off.

During the switchover, there's a UPS in my bedroom that will trip for a fraction of a second, and there's a click-buzz-beep sound before the Powerwalls take over and everything's silent again. That's usually how I know to go check my phone. This time, I completely slept through that part, but I woke up a couple hours later to the sound of my neighbor's gas generator. :confused:

Bruce.

During the switchover, there's a UPS in my bedroom that will trip for a fraction of a second, and there's a click-buzz-beep sound before the Powerwalls take over and everything's silent again. That's usually how I know to go check my phone. This time, I completely slept through that part, but I woke up a couple hours later to the sound of my neighbor's gas generator. :confused:

Bruce.

Gas generator, classic!!:p

Bruce.
Since no batteries yet, and I am losing power tomorrow for some power pole work, my generator will be running :(