Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stormwatch caught charging from the grid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last week, in Southern California, there was a high wind/red flag (fire danger) alert issued and many electric companies were preparing to proactively shut down the grid in certain areas as a precautionary measure.

This triggered a Stormwatch alert so my powerwalls started charging to 100% per the feature. Even though I am paired with a PV system, it looks like the Powerwalls used grid power in order to rapidly charge:
Screenshot_2018-10-15-22-58-23.png

I have 2 powerwalls so they can support up to 10kW for I/O and it looks like the gateway used grid power to supplement solar in order to get closer to that throughput.

I was under this impression that this was strictly prohibited for systems paired with a PV system. In order to meet the ITC and SGIP requirements, the system needs to store energy generated 100% by renewable sources (solar).

Does anyone know if there are exceptions to this (e.g. in case of a emergency/disaster prep)? Or is this a mistake on Telsa's part?