Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

StormWatch on in NorCal again! (September 2020)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah. I don't like the LRAPA.

But in the article you posted this statement appears:

It does not shift it anywhere as much as LRAPA when the numbers are so large as they are now.

All in all the air quality sucks. :(

Ah that's interesting...that statement about AQandU is part of an edit to the article that happened on 1 September. Last time I read the article was before that. Thanks for pointing this out.

I totally agree, no matter which measure you look at, the air quality around here is awful.

Bruce.

PS. I just realized that on my Mac that if I hold down the control key, the PurpleAir map can tilt and rotate in 3D. No elevation data though.

PPS. My solar production is slowly creeping back up from Wednesday (a.k.a. "nuclear winter day"). It's not back to normal yet but at least it's the right order of magnitude.

Solar is up today (4.5kW now), but according to the Purple Air sensor we installed in the backyard the air is bad, AQI is 190 now. Better than the 230 earlier this morning. Even with LRAPA Conversion, we were over 200 then, so this is definitely smoke particles. Also, some ash falling.

Noticed when I was looking on Apple Maps that it displays the Temp and AQI of the area you are seeing on the screen. Move along the highway between cities and see it change. Pretty dynamic and quick displaying.

That’s really cool. It’s even working for me here in Florida (My AQI is green and 21 right now, so I assume that’s good. I’ve never paid too much attention to AQI before.)

Noticed when I was looking on Apple Maps that it displays the Temp and AQI of the area you are seeing on the screen. Move along the highway between cities and see it change. Pretty dynamic and quick displaying.
There is a bug in it though for some places. We spotted a real low number (Placerville, CA) with a 51 for AQI and the surrounding areas were like 180. Turns out that sensor, when diving into the source, only had Ozone and not PM 2.5. So watch for this.

The other day I saw an intown purple air sensor very near another and the readings were quite far off. Turned out one was an outdoor sensor and the other was labeled indoors. So there is that too. Interesting enough the indoor air quality was worse than the current outdoor at this business.

Checking our Bay area to see if air quality has improved and before zooming in to our area saw this! Seriously! Fires everywhere? It’s actually more numerous when you zoom in.

37B34B8B-B542-4FC2-9445-25C982541F56.jpeg

Was the business a pot shop?

LOL No and actually a bike manufacturing shop. You'd think healthy air right?! I had to wonder if their A/C system sucked in outside air when it was really bad and over the holiday maybe systems were shut down to conserve energy and all that air stayed inside. Or maybe they have painting equipment inside. Really not sure what manufacturing they do there.

Airnow is still showing most of the Bay area in unhealthy red with the exception at the coast around Santa Cruz and up and down the Coastal Range there. We are finally seeing some winds from the west intown so hopefully this bad bay air smoke gets pushed out.

Last edited:
This from a temporary monitoring system used by the Forest Service near wildfires and is located just west and more or less in between the fires in northern Yosemite National Park and the Sierra National Forest near Fresno :eek: . Can’t imagine what the air looks there and it’s still aways from the actual fires. Definitely no solar production. Not complaining about Bay area AQ now.

E2A47D2F-EFE5-48B5-A0DD-65DBAFCB5333.jpeg

Last edited:
Had read in LATimes earlier in the afternoon that Mammoth Lakes was in 600s and officially beyond the index so decided to look tonight. Much worse than that.

F6CBCC03-4AC5-43E0-A088-E47D40947011.jpeg

Thankfully the off shore winds helped clear out air in most of SF Bay today and sure people are happy to be outside in the sun and seeing their systems charging. Our solar got commissioned yesterday and with the amount of sun then were able to get the units charged up some before turning off until PTO.

Last edited: