Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Story of my CPO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Final grades.

Ok, I picked up my S85 this afternoon at the Fremont Delivery Center. I bought a low miles (6700m) used/CPO with a 4 year warranty. It matched or exceeded my specifications. Silver, range, RWD, AP, pre-facelift, ... So I bought what I wanted which I wouldn't have if I bought new (RWD, pre-face lift). When I looked the S85 over, it was as it was in the pictures Tesla sent. There was rim rash in the photos and in person. Otherwise it was a very very nice S.

One thing that was startling. It came with a sunroof. I wasn't expecting that. I suppose panoramic roof means sunroof in Tesla-ese. I'm tall and I usually worry about sunroofs but this isn't a problem. I just wasn't expecting a sunroof.

Fremont Delivery is very comfortable and the folks are nice. The intro to the car is pretty perfunctory but I don't think that more would have helped. It's a dead simple car wrapped in a fair amount of software complexity. RTFM.

Paperwork and trade-in were handled very simply with a lot of signatures. Yeah, they were clueless about Multicode+Homelink. But I think I can figure that out. They were a more helpful on REG 1000 and getting the HOV sticker. Their suggestion was pestering the DMV by phone for the plate # in a few days and then filing.

I asked for and got the Maroney sticker. That was a little eye opening.

So everything at delivery went well. it took about an hour and I drove away, down Fremont Blvd. After awhile I pulled into an employee parking lot and took a look around. I saw Mt Hamilton in the distance and said, Ok. The ride is a little bouncy and that road is very curvy. But it was fun.

Next stop was the Supercharger at Computer History Museum. I didn't know how they worked and I actually thought what would be the right way to do it? Turned out that was correct. I should just be able to plug in, no cards, no authentication, no nothing. That worked.

Unplugging was a different story. The charge port wouldn't release. Eventually I called support and they had a work around, hold the fob next to the port, press the trunk key. This eventually worked. I haven't researched the problem yet but that's gonna get fixed.

All in all, I'm quite pleased. A low mile S85 exactly matching (well, I wasn't expecting a sun roof) what I was looking for. There are 48 85s on ev-cpo right now and it'd be the 7th most expensive but the lowest miles. Given how little time I spent searching, a weekend, I'm very happy. If I'd known I might have talked to a CPO adviser and maybe culled the back list. But this particular S was a couple of standard deviations of the mean away from what was available. So I just bought it and I wouldn't exactly call it an impulse purchase either.

Final grades.

Ok, I picked up my S85 this afternoon at the Fremont Delivery Center. I bought a low miles (6700m) used/CPO with a 4 year warranty. It matched or exceeded my specifications. Silver, range, RWD, AP, pre-facelift, ... So I bought what I wanted which I wouldn't have if I bought new (RWD, pre-face lift). When I looked the S85 over, it was as it was in the pictures Tesla sent. There was rim rash in the photos and in person. Otherwise it was a very very nice S.

One thing that was startling. It came with a sunroof. I wasn't expecting that. I suppose panoramic roof means sunroof in Tesla-ese. I'm tall and I usually worry about sunroofs but this isn't a problem. I just wasn't expecting a sunroof.

Fremont Delivery is very comfortable and the folks are nice. The intro to the car is pretty perfunctory but I don't think that more would have helped. It's a dead simple car wrapped in a fair amount of software complexity. RTFM.

Paperwork and trade-in were handled very simply with a lot of signatures. Yeah, they were clueless about Multicode+Homelink. But I think I can figure that out. They were a more helpful on REG 1000 and getting the HOV sticker. Their suggestion was pestering the DMV by phone for the plate # in a few days and then filing.

I asked for and got the Maroney sticker. That was a little eye opening.

So everything at delivery went well. it took about an hour and I drove away, down Fremont Blvd. After awhile I pulled into an employee parking lot and took a look around. I saw Mt Hamilton in the distance and said, Ok. The ride is a little bouncy and that road is very curvy. But it was fun.

Next stop was the Supercharger at Computer History Museum. I didn't know how they worked and I actually thought what would be the right way to do it? Turned out that was correct. I should just be able to plug in, no cards, no authentication, no nothing. That worked.

Unplugging was a different story. The charge port wouldn't release. Eventually I called support and they had a work around, hold the fob next to the port, press the trunk key. This eventually worked. I haven't researched the problem yet but that's gonna get fixed.

All in all, I'm quite pleased. A low mile S85 exactly matching (well, I wasn't expecting a sun roof) what I was looking for. There are 48 85s on ev-cpo right now and it'd be the 7th most expensive but the lowest miles. Given how little time I spent searching, a weekend, I'm very happy. If I'd known I might have talked to a CPO adviser and maybe culled the back list. But this particular S was a couple of standard deviations of the mean away from what was available. So I just bought it and I wouldn't exactly call it an impulse purchase either.

Glad everything went well. Enjoy your "free" pano roof, I have an inv. car and while it wasn't even in my "nice to have" bucket, I am using it way more than I thought I would.

Re. the charge port, make sure to wait for the light on the port to switch to white (it will cycle through green and blue as well (and red when something is wrong). There may be something wrong with your charging port, but I made the mistake early on to not wait long enough. Just something to try.

Glad everything went well. Enjoy your "free" pano roof, I have an inv. car and while it wasn't even in my "nice to have" bucket, I am using it way more than I thought I would.

Re. the charge port, make sure to wait for the light on the port to switch to white (it will cycle through green and blue as well (and red when something is wrong). There may be something wrong with your charging port, but I made the mistake early on to not wait long enough. Just something to try.
I was going to say just make sure the car is unlocked. When I was a new owner that got me all the time (that car has to be unlocked to unlock the charge port.)

Since this was my first supercharging session, I'd say the possibility of pilot error is well above 95%.
That said, as utterly seamless as starting a charging session was, open port + plug in handle,
I do think that Tesla could make ending a session better. I was clearly frustrated and fumbling.
But it kept restarting the session making me even more frustrated. End session should end the session and unlock the port.
It shouldn't then restart unless I specifically override and ask for that. Bluntly, it allowed me to screw up.
I never screwed up unplugging a Chademo or J1772 because it's not possible.
(Now plugging in the Leaf, I screwed that up quite a few times by leaving the car on.)

I'll do a little research and maybe start a thread and send some feedback.
Starting, awesome. Ending, needs improvement.
Basically, when I say end session in the driver's seat, I should be able to walk out, unplug and leave.
No buttons, no holding, no nothing. Done and done.

Yeah, the pano roof is pretty sweet. I can tell that even after only a day.

Last edited:
Congrats @EVChris! I’m glad to hear more success stories with the new CPO process.

ps since you love charging so far, you’re telling me you didn’t try the charge port Easter Egg yet? :p (repeatedly press the button on the handle upon insertion and the port goes into rainbow mode for a bit)

Since this was my first supercharging session, I'd say the possibility of pilot error is well above 95%.
That said, as utterly seamless as starting a charging session was, open port + plug in handle,
I do think that Tesla could make ending a session better. I was clearly frustrated and fumbling.
But it kept restarting the session making me even more frustrated. End session should end the session and unlock the port.
It shouldn't then restart unless I specifically override and ask for that. Bluntly, it allowed me to screw up.
I never screwed up unplugging a Chademo or J1772 because it's not possible.
(Now plugging in the Leaf, I screwed that up quite a few times by leaving the car on.)

I'll do a little research and maybe start a thread and send some feedback.
Starting, awesome. Ending, needs improvement.
Basically, when I say end session in the driver's seat, I should be able to walk out, unplug and leave.
No buttons, no holding, no nothing. Done and done.

Yeah, the pano roof is pretty sweet. I can tell that even after only a day.

One tip: hold the button down on the handle, don't just press/release. Hold button down until ring turns white (car must be unlocked, keep handle button pressed and unlock via fob if needed). Release button after handle is removed.

I struggle with this daily, thanks for the tips. I thought it was just dumb luck to get that ring to turn white.
A general truth is that if you are struggling then you're doing it wrong or something is broken. Everything is smooth and simple normally. And yes, sometimes there are temporary software bugs that make things wrong. And also, sometimes with things that aren't related to driving (like music) the broken software can stay broken for an unreasonably long time.

But, if you're struggling with anything, chances are you should ask about it and you'll probably find there's a better way to do it.

Famous book, The Design of Everyday Things has a concept called affordances. Basically if many people are walking into doors, the designer did something wrong. People at Apple are walking into doors, literally, because they're so perfect they don't notice them.

The person who designed plugging in got it 100% correct. I don't need no stinkin' badges. I don't need to run through no dialog. I just need to open my chargeport and plug in. Now I understand that unplugging has some car/people safety issues. So I need to request the charger+car to stop. I get that. But that should be it. Stop. Unplug. Leave. I don't need no stinkin' buttons.

Famous book, The Design of Everyday Things has a concept called affordances. Basically if many people are walking into doors, the designer did something wrong. People at Apple are walking into doors, literally, because they're so perfect they don't notice them.
I liked it better when it was titled The Psychology of Everyday Things. Of course Don Norman didn't invent the notion of affordances, but he does discuss what it means for good design.

And yes, great design from one perspective can only be ruined by us imperfect humans. Steve Jobs certainly believed that (e.g. "you're holding it wrong"). The new Apple Park campus was designed to be as perfect as possible, and there's going to be an adjustment period where they have to dial it back to accommodate humans. Personally, I am much happier to see that kind of approach rather than the usual aiming for a safe target that nobody will complain about.

The person who designed plugging in got it 100% correct. I don't need no stinkin' badges. I don't need to run through no dialog. I just need to open my chargeport and plug in. Now I understand that unplugging has some car/people safety issues. So I need to request the charger+car to stop. I get that. But that should be it. Stop. Unplug. Leave. I don't need no stinkin' buttons.
It works that way when everything is just right. Unfortunately there are many imperfections in the world. Among them are cold, heat, wet, dirt, ice, varying electrical supplies, damaged cables, poor manufacturing tolerances in the charge port, varying strength of users, bad parking at superchargers, etc. So coupled with the safety issues there are many circumstances where the process for termination of charging and removal of the plug don't proceed optimally. Plugging in sometimes has problems too, and you may run into some of them eventually. I have.

Obviously the primary consideration is never injuring the user. But keep in mind that outside of convenience some extra weight must be given to avoiding the two worst scenarios: not releasing so the car can't leave after charging; accidentally not charging when you think you are. I think that last one is the biggest issue in how we see charging restarting when for some reason plug removal doesn't work.

In short, good design is a constant battle against the real world. I hope to see the design of charging improve, but I have to admit that my biggest charging mechanics complaint to date is that it's too easy to forget to remove the J1772 adapter when you're finished charging at a destination charger. I've done that once, and almost done it a few times. I'd like the screen to flash a reminder to retrieve the adapter when you start up the car, one that will get noticed but not be too intrusive. I'm sure that will save quite a few unnecessary $100 expenditures.

Meanwhile, for plug extraction, the process of the charge port getting to white often seems to take longer than I'd like. I'm willing to believe (for now) that it's running through its protocol of safety checks, and much improvement isn't yet possible. When it's particularly intransigent, I've found that telling it to stop charging and unlock the charge port from inside the car has always worked for me.

Personally, I am much happier to see that kind of approach rather than the usual aiming for a safe target that nobody will complain about.

Yeah, I'm the same way when designing and the complete opposite when using. I am, in short, a complete hypocrite.
BTW, in the other thread in Battery and Charging, someone pasted the documentation.

stopcharging-png.301594

So this may in fact be a defect in my car. It's going in for service anyways to get the LTE upgrade and a recall. So I'll have them look at that.

Dunno yet but LTE is said to be around $326.

I SC’d at the factory and hit Stop Charging. It stopped and the handle was blue. It didn’t come directly out. I pressed and held for several seconds and it restarted.

A few iterations and I eventually got the handle off without resorting to the fob trick. I think it’s the port, not me and not SW.

So my three year old CPO/Used only had 6700 miles on it and I think I understand why. It is a rough rider and maybe the previous owner didn't want to deal with fixing that. Their problem now becomes my problem. On a stretch of 580 last night, the S was pretty uncomfortable to drive. However, I mentally budgeted for something like this and I've been reading up on the problem. It looks solvable. The most promising fix right now is to adjust the trunk and frunk to reduce buffeting. I think it will still be a rough ride but it will be much less uncomfortable.

It is RWD, Smart Air, 19", power hatch.

Last edited:
So my three year old CPO/Used only had 6700 miles on it and I think I understand why. It is a rough rider and maybe the previous owner didn't want to deal with fixing that. Their problem now becomes my problem. On a stretch of 580 last night, the S was pretty uncomfortable to drive. However, I mentally budgeted for something like this and I've been reading up on the problem. It looks solvable. The most promising fix right now is to adjust the trunk and frunk to reduce buffeting. I think it will still be a rough ride but it will be much less uncomfortable.

It is RWD, Smart Air, 19". I think th
Is the tire pressure correct? (As measured by gauge, not TPMS). If suspension is on low, try normal instead.