Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Story of my CPO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my three year old CPO/Used only had 6700 miles on it and I think I understand why. It is a rough rider and maybe the previous owner didn't want to deal with fixing that. Their problem now becomes my problem. On a stretch of 580 last night, the S was pretty uncomfortable to drive. However, I mentally budgeted for something like this and I've been reading up on the problem. It looks solvable. The most promising fix right now is to adjust the trunk and frunk to reduce buffeting. I think it will still be a rough ride but it will be much less uncomfortable.

It is RWD, Smart Air, 19", power hatch.
Wait a sec. Rough rider in terms of suspension harshness? Your “adjust the frunk/trunk” statement refers to wind buffeting. Is it both?

From what I understand and from what I've read, these are two related problems. If you have a harsh ride and you have misadjusted trunk/frunk, that will cause buffeting. Fix the buffeting because it's easy. That won't fix the ride but you won't be getting seasick from the buffeting. The harsh ride is a harder problem which there will be some back and forth with Service on. But fix the easy problem first.

I know suspension feel is a very subjective subject, but can you describe how the car was uncomfortable to drive? Does it bounce/undulate while driving down the freeway or is the harshness felt through the steering wheel? That will help in providing suggestions/areas to look at.
Personally, my P85D with the Plus suspension is perfect. I would never use harsh to describe it so I can’t imagine the S85 setup would be any worse.
Bent wheels, old/worn/leaking suspension, alignment out of whack... all those things can contribute to your issue, again, depending on what you’re really experiencing.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I just drove home on 580 in Oakland. I'd say that I feel physically ill. This is by far the harshest ride I've ever driven and I've driven 580 100s of times and never thought anything of it. 580 is concrete with joints and you feel every joint and you feel a rise and a fall with every segment. You feel everything. The rise and the fall cause the trunk lid to rise and fall, buffeting which is a rapid change of air pressure just hammering your inner ear. Seasick.

This is not slightly bad or subjectively bad. This is freakishly awful. I was going to drive out the Colorado and maybe I will in a loaner. Now that all said, I think it can be fixed, starting with the trunk/frunk buffeting and then talking to Service about the rest.

I just drove home on 580 in Oakland. I'd say that I feel physically ill. This is by far the harshest ride I've ever driven and I've driven 580 100s of times and never thought anything of it. 580 is concrete with joints and you feel every joint and you feel a rise and a fall with every segment. You feel everything. The rise and the fall cause the trunk lid to rise and fall, buffeting which is a rapid change of air pressure just hammering your inner ear. Seasick.

This is not slightly bad or subjectively bad. This is freakishly awful. I was going to drive out the Colorado and maybe I will in a loaner. Now that all said, I think it can be fixed, starting with the trunk/frunk buffeting and then talking to Service about the rest.

Yikes! Have you tried cracking both front and/or rear windows as a stop gap for the air pulsing?

Yes, cracking the window helps a lot with the nausea from pulsating. So I'm confident that can be solved pretty easily.
The ride, however, is a Service thing. I want to read up as much as possible on that before next Thursday.
I edited my Service request to add this. I'm going to send a note to SamanthaJoy today as well.

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
Yes, cracking the window helps a lot with the nausea from pulsating. So I'm confident that can be solved pretty easily.
The ride, however, is a Service thing. I want to read up as much as possible on that before next Thursday.
I edited my Service request to add this. I'm going to send a note to SamanthaJoy today as well.
Ouch. Wind pulsating is THE worst. The pounding on your ears/head is excruciating. I remember being able to recreate the scenario at will on my previous car via series of window lowering if I wanted to drive my passengers crazy. Hope the bumpstop adjustments solve that issue.
Before your service visit, I’d spend a little $$ and have a tire shop check the wheels/tires for balance. Does the car drive straight (alignment)?
Good luck!

My bet: alignment is way off and/or rear wheels are bent. Shouldn’t smell rubber after 400miles of driving much less 40. They are being scrubbed.
Does the car sit level or does it look like you have a trunk full of gear?

Car drives very straight but when I was at a supercharger last night the rear tires smelled like I'd been drag racing.
Actually I have acceleration set to Chill and I'd only driven 40 miles or so since it had been parked for 3 hours.

Just throwing things against the wall (since alignment has already been called out):
Tires or brakes? You might have dragging parking or service brakes. That could warp your rotors and cause pulsation. (really long shot is traction control is oscillating)
Rubbing on wheel well?

I have creep off (hate creep) and the car will roll at an intersection with even the slightest grade.
Also, it smelled like burning tire and on both rear sides. If it smells then it's probably rubbing somewhere.
I'm just going to try to collect data + symptoms. Rubbing on the wheel well should be obvious on inspection.

Now that I'm aware, I'll be looking for more symptoms to help diagnose/narrow/repeat the problems.
I sent a note to Fremont Service and copied SamanthaJoy. I'll drop by my tire place in the afternoon.

Just throwing things against the wall (since alignment has already been called out):
Tires or brakes? You might have dragging parking or service brakes. That could warp your rotors and cause pulsation. (really long shot is traction control is oscillating)
Rubbing on wheel well?
My Subaru drives straight but something is clearly off as my rear drivers side tire has worn insanely fast compared to the others. Just because you seem to be in good alignment doesn't mean you are. Worth checking out.

Reactions: hmmm and EVChris
I picked up my S last Tuesday from Fremont Delivery. So I called the DMV in Sacto this morning to see if they had the new plate number in order to get the paperwork started on the HOV sticker. They hadn't received the paperwork from Tesla yet. Grumble.

End session should end the session and unlock the port.
It shouldn't then restart unless I specifically override and ask for that. Bluntly, it allowed me to screw up.
Two reliable unplug techniques.

1. Use phone App Charge function. Tap button to Stop charge. Wait for ring to turn blue. Tap Unlock button. Or use buttons in Charge app on Center Display.
  2. Unlock car. Hold down button on charger handle until ring turns white.

Yep, chargeport was replaced.

upload_2018-5-30_16-24-20.png

Reactions: mongo
Its a been about 2 months since your last report. How did your service center visits go? Did you ever solve your harsh rides and LTE upgrades?

The wind buffeting was fixed by proper mating of the rear hatch bumpers. LTE was upgraded. Charging port was replaced+fixed.

Ride is still sporty/harsh. Tire pressure is at 45. I could drop it but I’ve gotten somewhat used to it.

Tesla Fremont Service is great.