Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Story Time! Day 3 Experience Of a New FSD Beta Tester.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't really had a good experience on these roads except maybe Summit Rd which is straight and was always fine.

I also find the car slams the brakes when it sees oncoming traffic on those curvy roads which can be dangerous, it also isn't centered that well. When the curve is really sharp (like the intersection of Summit/Mt Charlie) the car either goes 1mph around the turn while engaging blinkers or just stops and sits there.

The car consistently tries to drive into those white/green posts that separate bike lanes from the road too.

On one particular road it actually mistakes a driveway for the road and turns into it each time.

Honestly I was surprised by how unrefined the steering was and how many obvious mistakes it makes. The YouTube videos make it seem way better.

It's important to remember that currently FSD does not read exit speed limit signs. If it's taking the exits too fast, manually adjust speed before the exit, or disengage on the exit and reengage at the end of the exit.

There also seems to be an issue in this build with the planner which controls lane decisions. Hopefully will improve next build.

In 2019 I went through 2 months of white knuckle learning the ropes with EAP on freeways. It does REQUIRE a brain retrain.
It's a very different way of driving, kind of like your central nervous system supervising your autonomous nervous system doing the low level work. Or riding a horse.

At this point I'm totally comfortable with FSD on all roads and streets. I didn't spend the money to sneer and look for reasons to give the automation a bad grade because it's not Level 5. It's not. It's an amazing labor-saving and near perfect system once you take the reins.

I disengage as needed (rarely). I anticipate and I ride the max speed scroller, where a manual driver would use the pedals. I correct for issues like speed limit sign ambiguity ("phantom braking"), or mistakes. I giddyup with accel on lazy spots as a matter of course. I even curse on occasion. But most of the time we're just cruising. This horse and I know, and like, each other. We work well together. Very happy camper here.

But Beta newcomers who haven't yet brain-retrained should accept a period of learning, ideally get some demo lessons (I wish Tesla offered them), so we're not hearing a lot of judgmental *itching.

Last edited:
Hey fellow Capitola area person! Keep in mind this is my first version of beta, but I was shocked coming south at porter/soquel when it knew that the road splits, so keep right, then that lane you’re in splits and to keep left to go straight. It did it flawless for me.

View attachment 814270
Damn it’s hard to draw these situations, but here’s what I mean. This is facing south on porter and turns are on soquel. The left turn people usually back up to the single lane, so you have to split, then get back over. It did it like I would have. Did prior versions struggle there?

I’m going north today on it instead of hwy17 because I had so much fun yesterday, I’ll let you know how it goes!
Thanks for the response. Your drawing was clear to me. It appears that fsdb has some individual behavior. This is reasonable, given the same car and s/w sometimes behaves differently at the same location.

I am new to the FSD beta and have the car slow down suddenly for no apparent reason, take a left turn into the wrong lane and not slow down enough in curves from 55 to the suggested speed of 45 and appear to go to fast in my neighborhood. I know this is not an easy problem to solve and so I have two questions 1) does the system actually read suggested speed limit signs or working zone speed signs and 2) do yo really think the cameras are sufficient for full FSD?
The yellow suggested speed signs it ignores, and it should. The computer knows what the car can handle considering vehicle weight, and the physics of it. Neighborhoods, it does go a little fast in, but that’s not the cars fault. If the posted speed limit 25, it’s going to go 25. If you have your offset to +5mph or some percentage, set that back to zero, because 29-30mph is too fast for neighborhoods usually. I just quick scroll the scroll wheel down when the when the wheel evens out. I like my offset of 15%. Do your best to trust your car if and when it’s not going to endanger other drivers.

1. Depends on who you ask. Mobileye has the patent for reading street signs of all kinds, and specifically speed signs. They parted ways with tesla long ago and tesla is not paying them, so no access to that feature. But many people swear it reads signs. In actuality, it uses GPS map data for speeds. That’s why the speed doesn’t change till you actually reach the sign, not when the car actually is in view of the sign. It’s encoded into all maps.

2. Yes. The cameras are fine. Upgraded resolution cameras will give it a farther view to base decisions on, but it is good enough now as it is, otherwise this wide rollout wouldn’t be happening. In those cases where longer than average view distance is needed, like turning right onto a 55-65mph road, just disengage and make the turn yourself. Remember this is not supposed to replace you, it’s supposed to do the majority of your driving. Do be driven 100 miles in 6 days and probably driven 20 miles of it manually. Know your car, and know when it’s getting to a situation it might struggle with. When you disengage, press the camera icon to send that spots data in, and hope it’s an edge case they will prioritize. Keep in mind that every person thinks their situation/turn/commute is more important than the rest. There’s a lot of data being uploaded, and in time it will be solved.

In 2019 I went through 2 months of white knuckle learning the ropes with EAP on freeways. It does REQUIRE a brain retrain.
It's a very different way of driving, kind of like your central nervous system supervising your autonomous nervous system doing the low level work. Or riding a horse.

At this point I'm totally comfortable with FSD on all roads and streets. I didn't spend the money to sneer and look for reasons to give the automation a bad grade because it's not Level 5. It's not. It's an amazing labor-saving and near perfect system once you take the reins.

I disengage as needed (rarely). I anticipate and I ride the max speed scroller, where a manual driver would use the pedals. I correct for issues like speed limit sign ambiguity ("phantom braking"), or mistakes. I giddyup with accel on lazy spots as a matter of course. I even curse on occasion. But most of the time we're just cruising. This horse and I know, and like, each other. We work well together. Very happy camper here.

But Beta newcomers who haven't yet brain-retrained should accept a period of learning, ideally get some demo lessons (I wish Tesla offered them), so we're not hearing a lot of judgmental *itching.
Brain training is important. Our minds have a hard time releasing control. FSD Beta performs beautifully the vast majority of the time. Eventually, new people will learn where it struggles, and disengage while sending in a report when needed.

Thanks for the response. Your drawing was clear to me. It appears that fsdb has some individual behavior. This is reasonable, given the same car and s/w sometimes behaves differently at the same location.
I did that route north the other day all the way up to the 17. It slowed more on curves going uphill oddly enough, but it never went below the suggested yellow speed limit signs or crossed over the center yellow line. Coming down, it never went below the white speed limit signs and ignored the yellow ones lol. I was happy in both cases. Never felt like I was a bother to people behind me.

The yellow suggested speed signs it ignores, and it should. The computer knows what the car can handle considering vehicle weight, and the physics of it. Neighborhoods, it does go a little fast in, but that’s not the cars fault. If the posted speed limit 25, it’s going to go 25. If you have your offset to +5mph or some percentage, set that back to zero, because 29-30mph is too fast for neighborhoods usually. I just quick scroll the scroll wheel down when the when the wheel evens out. I like my offset of 15%. Do your best to trust your car if and when it’s not going to endanger other drivers.

1. Depends on who you ask. Mobileye has the patent for reading street signs of all kinds, and specifically speed signs. They parted ways with tesla long ago and tesla is not paying them, so no access to that feature. But many people swear it reads signs. In actuality, it uses GPS map data for speeds. That’s why the speed doesn’t change till you actually reach the sign, not when the car actually is in view of the sign. It’s encoded into all maps.

2. Yes. The cameras are fine. Upgraded resolution cameras will give it a farther view to base decisions on, but it is good enough now as it is, otherwise this wide rollout wouldn’t be happening. In those cases where longer than average view distance is needed, like turning right onto a 55-65mph road, just disengage and make the turn yourself. Remember this is not supposed to replace you, it’s supposed to do the majority of your driving. Do be driven 100 miles in 6 days and probably driven 20 miles of it manually. Know your car, and know when it’s getting to a situation it might struggle with. When you disengage, press the camera icon to send that spots data in, and hope it’s an edge case they will prioritize. Keep in mind that every person thinks their situation/turn/commute is more important than the rest. There’s a lot of data being uploaded, and in time it will be solved.
Thank you for your answer!

I guess I'm one of those people who swears my car (2022 M3LR) reads the signs based on my following experiences:

1. When getting on SH-130 in Texas, it knows the speed limit is 85 mph (presumably because of map data), but as soon as it sees the first speed limit sign that says 85 mph, it reads it as 65 mph (renders it as 65 mph and updates the speed limit value to 65 mph), presumably because the AI isn't trained to read 85 mph signs yet. It's worth noting that it doesn't limit AutoPilot to 70 mph at this point, so I wonder if they get around the Mobileye patent by it being a cosmetic-only feature.

2. While driving on an interstate highway, I've seen it read a speed limit sign that was intended for the access road (sign was on the left and right sides of the access road for some reason).

3. I've seen it read temporary construction speed limit signs which would not show up on map data.

4. I've seen it read brand new speed limit signs which would not be on map data yet and were not being reflected the day prior.

5. I've seen it stop updating the speed limit when a sign was removed/knocked down (this one could be explained by it using the sign as a trigger to update the UI with what the map data says).

6. On roads where it has bad (or possibly missing data), it will initially show one value and will then show a new value once it passes a speed limit sign (this one could still possibly be explained with what you said if the map data was just really, really bad for these roads I've seen this happen at).

I've seen all of these happen multiple times. A couple of them have possible explanations. I think the second one is the most conclusive. The rest could be explained by the map being updated like ridiculously fast, I guess.

I tend to agree on the sign reading.

There is a 4-lane 35-MPH area that migrates to a 50-MPH divided road. The 50 MPH sign is 100 yards past the start of the divided road, well into the 50 MPH area. But the car won't change speeds until actually at the sign.

• Disagree
Reactions: !igs
just checking in..is it parking itself in parking lots yet after it drops you off at the door of the business, like Elon said it would a couple years ago? Just checking on progres..
Haha no… I had to disengage to park. So not parking spot to parking spot. That drop off feature is probably my most looked forward to feature. I’m in the Bay Area so FSD performs wonderfully (with supervision). I just want the next features lol. If Elon is right about 10.13 being better In parking lots and tunnels, I’m guessing it’s not far off. 11.0 or 11.1 probably.