Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Story Time! Day 3 Experience Of a New FSD Beta Tester.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What Bay Area do you live in where it performs wonderfully?

It's absolute trash for me. Best I can do is one disengage every 5 miles. FSD is laughably bad.
All over between Santa Cruz and Sacramento. this map is just the last 3 months for me.
IMG_3280.jpeg

it has some intersections it struggles with but if you anticipate them, there's nothing wrong with disengaging for 1/8th of a mile. Its not a robotaxi, it just does the majority of my driving. If your expectations are LVL 4 or 5, of course you're going to be disappointed. And by majority I mean greater than 90% of my drives. I drive 150-350 miles a day to different locations each time. Around 70% of my daily drives is freeway, and the rest is city.

And yet if you actually Owned FSD your input might have value. As it stands That value is Zero.
My input has nothing to do with the abysmal 7% take rate of FSD. 🤣 🤣

I pass on experiences like this from this thread:

"have the car slow down suddenly for no apparent reason, take a left turn into the wrong lane and not slow down enough in curves from 55 to the suggested speed of 45 and appear to go to fast in my neighborhood."

For $12k. 🤣 🤣

My input has nothing to do with the abysmal 7% take rate of FSD. 🤣 🤣
I imagine the (stupidly) high cost has something to do with it. Others here have already noted the decline in take rate as the price went up.
I pass on experiences like this from this thread:

"have the car slow down suddenly for no apparent reason, take a left turn into the wrong lane and not slow down enough in curves from 55 to the suggested speed of 45 and appear to go to fast in my neighborhood."

For $12k. 🤣 🤣
Again, this is the beta. You have to apply to be in the beta program, drive like a grandmother for a while, and agree to a lengthy legal document to even be allowed to have it. What the $12K will eventually buy you is something that's hopefully much more competent, but it's disingenuous to suggest that the beta is what you're paying for.

Reactions: BnGrm and Dewg
I imagine the (stupidly) high cost has something to do with it. Others here have already noted the decline in take rate as the price went up.

Again, this is the beta. You have to apply to be in the beta program, drive like a grandmother for a while, and agree to a lengthy legal document to even be allowed to have it. What the $12K will eventually buy you is something that's hopefully much more competent, but it's disingenuous to suggest that the beta is what you're paying for.
There is no legal document. Do you even have the beta? Lol

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Great post, agree with much of it, disagree with some, but enjoyed your post.

I live in San Jose, have driven 72k miles with AP1 in 3 years, 4k miles with FSD last 2 months, and got to be an FSD beta tester 2 weeks ago with a Safety Score of 95 on June 15, 2022. This was after 8 weeks of driving like a 90 year grandma. Love FSD Beta 10.12.2, it is so much fun! FSD was disappointing, FSD beta is very cool..... but nowhere near close to Level 5 autonomy on city streets. Very good on the highway, but sorry, it's not even close on city streets. imho, the Youtubers (is it ok to name them?) touting that it is almost ready are...........not truthful.

Reactions: sjg98
I injured my hand a few weeks back, received the 10.12.2 update the day of my surgery.

It's been a welcome tool for driving the errands I have to do. Yesterday it did a round trip to a small urban error, no disengagements.
No idea about reports of high disengagement rates but I think some folk may have issues with the car doing maneuvers that though not wrong, may differ from what the driver would do.

Level 5? No-but that's for cars with no steering wheel. Level 3 as implemented by Mercedes? Navigate on Autopilot was at that level last summer. Level 4? Very close.

Reactions: timberlights
Great post, agree with much of it, disagree with some, but enjoyed your post.

I live in San Jose, have driven 72k miles with AP1 in 3 years, 4k miles with FSD last 2 months, and got to be an FSD beta tester 2 weeks ago with a Safety Score of 95 on June 15, 2022. This was after 8 weeks of driving like a 90 year grandma. Love FSD Beta 10.12.2, it is so much fun! FSD was disappointing, FSD beta is very cool..... but nowhere near close to Level 5 autonomy on city streets. Very good on the highway, but sorry, it's not even close on city streets. imho, the Youtubers (is it ok to name them?) touting that it is almost ready are...........not truthful.

Is FSD Beta even used on the highways? I don't think it is, I think it switches to old EAP on the highway.