Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stow-able level platform for camping/sleeping in Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Attached is a description of, and dimensions and (minimal) materials required to build a level bed platform for Model S (2021 refresh) that folds and stows in the car, allowing back seats to be raised and access to the deep trunk compartment while taking up minimal extra space. Part of the platform detaches and folds to fit the slot for the cargo cover shelf.

I am 6'1" (185 cm) tall, and my wife and I have found it almost as comfortable as a tent. The low roof of the car is the primary drawback. It is more convenient than dealing with a wet tent because, even on a rainless night, condensation requires drying time. Most recently we used it on a road trip to the Arctic Ocean! Not the Ritz, but by all accounts better than the accommodations at Coldfoot Camp! Feel free to use and share widely without attribution. Let us know of your mods and experiences with it!

ModelSBed.jpg

Attachments

• Level Bed Platform for 2021 Model S.pdf
    313.7 KB · Views: 575
We car camp in our Tesla Model S's quite a bit over the years. From that experience, the first thing I see how how much space you are giving up between the floor and the bottom/back hatch where the taillights are. To me, this is the most critical aspect of clearance and I can't imagine how a raised platform would help that. Maybe it's because I wear a size 15 shoe but this is the least comfortable aspect and I'm curious how you find any room at all for your feet with that platform in there.

Clever idea, and nicer looking than my foam insulation board and 1/8" masonite solution. Mine is pretty lightweight though. When I camp, I leave the seats folded down for the whole trip and load things on top of the platform. I've tried sleeping with my head by the back seats and the tailgate. I prefer the tailgate so my feet hang off. Otherwise I end up losing my pillow behind the front seats.

Some kind of support system to put into the void would help alleviate this pillow issue, but having my head at the tailgate works for me.

We car camp in our Tesla Model S's quite a bit over the years. From that experience, the first thing I see how how much space you are giving up between the floor and the bottom/back hatch where the taillights are. To me, this is the most critical aspect of clearance and I can't imagine how a raised platform would help that. Maybe it's because I wear a size 15 shoe but this is the least comfortable aspect and I'm curious how you find any room at all for your feet with that platform in there.
No problems, but I have dainty feet. I think the extra space that the platform gives over the edge of the folded back seats allows for more room at the feet too. The total length of the platform is something like 87" (221 cm). I prefer a level surface over having the extra clearance at the liftgate.

Last edited:
Clever idea, and nicer looking than my foam insulation board and 1/8" masonite solution. Mine is pretty lightweight though. When I camp, I leave the seats folded down for the whole trip and load things on top of the platform. I've tried sleeping with my head by the back seats and the tailgate. I prefer the tailgate so my feet hang off. Otherwise I end up losing my pillow behind the front seats.

Some kind of support system to put into the void would help alleviate this pillow issue, but having my head at the tailgate works for me.
We tried those accordion style sleeping pads first and acheived reasonable results. We cut and folded I think about 4 of them, but could never seem to reproduce how we initially fit them in! Using the space past the top of the folded back seats was always a tricky part; and getting the surface nice and level. This solves those problems.

I'd like to hang a hammock diagonally or 4point inside. It would save on charging time in warmer climates because the tight fabric cools you off and you don't need a/c. Underquilt required in cold weather.

Seasuckers on the inside of the windshield might damage the safety film or tinting.

I'd like to hang a hammock diagonally or 4point inside. It would save on charging time in warmer climates because the tight fabric cools you off and you don't need a/c. Underquilt required in cold weather.

Seasuckers on the inside of the windshield might damage the safety film or tinting.
Go for it!! Sounds great! Dreamcase uses magnets to secure their window shades. I've a set on order...

Attached is a description of, and dimensions and (minimal) materials required to build a level bed platform for Model S (2021 refresh) that folds and stows in the car, allowing back seats to be raised and access to the deep trunk compartment while taking up minimal extra space. Part of the platform detaches and folds to fit the slot for the cargo cover shelf.

I am 6'1" (185 cm) tall, and my wife and I have found it almost as comfortable as a tent. The low roof of the car is the primary drawback. It is more convenient than dealing with a wet tent because, even on a rainless night, condensation requires drying time. Most recently we used it on a road trip to the Arctic Ocean! Not the Ritz, but by all accounts better than the accommodations at Coldfoot Camp! Feel free to use and share widely without attribution. Let us know of your mods and experiences with it!

View attachment 844723
Can’t view the attachment