Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

StowAway Max rear luggage carrier - my experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought the StowAway MAX Cargo Carrier ($760) for my X to go on a road trip from the LA area to the Colorado river in Laughlin, recently. I was a little worried about how it would work out, so I thought I'd share my experience here (which was good).

IMG_4763.JPG

It holds 16 cu. ft. andup to 200 lb of luggage inside. You can get the version of the carrier that swings away from the car (which I did). Makes it easier to load stuff into your trunk with the carrier attached. However, I was able to open and close the trunk, even without swinging the carrier out of the way.

IMG_4760.JPG

You will likely need to have the full tow package installed, as the carrier itself weighs 94lb, and with it fully loaded, you're talking about holding up to 300lb of tongue weight. I believe that is over what the "accessory hitch" is able to handle?

The carrier comes with an electrical connection for brake, left/right blinkers, but is in a wiring configuration known as "4 flat." The Model X electronic connection is what's known as a "7 way round," so you'll need an adapter. I used this one for $8. The carrier comes with a standard bolt to hold the carrier safely on the X's tow hitch, however if you're planning to leave the carrier attached during your travels, you'll probably want to do what we did, and spend $20 to get a receiver lock.

My primary concern was whether I would have a hard time Supercharging, due to the increased depth. My route to Laughlin was set to take me to the Barstow and Needles SC. Barstow has 8 stations, 4 are pull-through, and 4 are back in. We arrived here, and were able to use one of the pull-through spots, so no worries there.

Needles SC was a bit scarier, because I couldn't really tell from the photos online whether or not the SC cable would reach, but we had no problems!

IMG_4781.JPG

On the way back, the X took us on a different route, going through Primm, NV instead of Needles, and then back through Barstow. Primm, like Needles, only had back-in stations, and when we got to Barstow, all pull-throughs were taken, so we had to back in here as well. In all 3 locations, we had no problems backing in to charge! Forgot to snap one on our pass back through Barstow, this is Primm:

IMG_4828.JPG

I can't guarantee it will work at all SC, I could see where it might be difficult if the Tesla parking sign was too far forward or something, but one other option you might have in that situation would be to have a passenger swing the carrier out completely, opening up more of the rear/center of the vehicle area to allow for backing in further. We didn't have to do it this trip, though.

Hope this helps.

In terms of impact on range, it's hard for me to say for sure, because I've never taken the X on that route before, and there were a lot of variables that likely also played into my range during the trip: temperatures of 100º-110º on the drive through the desert, heavy side-to-side wind, etc. I did need to charge at each stop for about 25 minutes, and the total trip distance was about 250 mi. I arrived in Laughlin with about 30 miles of range left.

The carrier had no impact on how it felt to drive the X, you couldn't feel it back there, except when backing up (rear camera view blocked of course).

On the trip out, I let the X automatically put me into full trailer mode, which disables Autopilot, and only radar-assisted cruise control is operational. On the way back I decided to manually turn off trailer mode to allow for Autopilot, but I disabled automatic lane changing, as I deemed that was the only real Autopilot-related risk with a longer tail and impeded rear sensors. Used AP for most of the trip back with no issues at all (manual lane changes).

Since the X still detected that something was connected to it electronically, it still shows the trailer dash light, but in orange instead of blue, to let you know that trailer mode is technically off, though the blinkers/brake lights should still function.

In terms of impact on range, it's hard for me to say for sure, because I've never taken the X on that route before, and there were a lot of variables that likely also played into my range during the trip: temperatures of 100º-110º on the drive through the desert, heavy side-to-side wind, etc. I did need to charge at each stop for about 25 minutes, and the total trip distance was about 250 mi. I arrived in Laughlin with about 30 miles of range left.

The carrier had no impact on how it felt to drive the X, you couldn't feel it back there, except when backing up (rear camera view blocked of course).

On the trip out, I let the X automatically put me into full trailer mode, which disables Autopilot, and only radar-assisted cruise control is operational. On the way back I decided to manually turn off trailer mode to allow for Autopilot, but I disabled automatic lane changing, as I deemed that was the only real Autopilot-related risk with a longer tail and impeded rear sensors. Used AP for most of the trip back with no issues at all (manual lane changes).

Since the X still detected that something was connected to it electronically, it still shows the trailer dash light, but in orange instead of blue, to let you know that trailer mode is technically off, though the blinkers/brake lights should still function.

Excellent write up and pictures. Back in Jun 9, 2015. I started the thread below as I have had a stowaway2 for several years.

Any StowAway2 owners wondering about range impact on Model X?

One major critical thing you determine was that you could still use AP. I didn't know you could manually turn off trailer mode. Hopefully the blinkers and brakes lights work on the stowaway2 as you didn't seem sure about that. I would have zero problem still doing my own lane changing as well.

The second major thing you clarified was being able to charge with it attached. Unlike a trailer these things would not be practical to "unhitch".

Thanks much.

Nice review.

I have a similar setup for my Volt, with an Ecohitch 2" receiver and Thule Transporter 665C Combi hitch mount cargo box instead. The Thule box cost me $450, and can hold 13 cubic feet and 150 pounds of stuff. The Ecohitch is rated for a 200# tongue weight, and the box itself weights 55 pounds, so theoretically I have 145 pounds of stuff I can load in the box, though I usually keep it under a 100 pound payload.

I've found there is almost no efficiency hit with just the Thule box attached. If anything, the only hit comes from the increased weight of the box and its payload.

DSC_0132_zps7ihujasx.jpg~original

20160416_163657_zpsecjywpdm.jpg~original

DSC_0133_zpsr5qajmcj.jpg~original

That box appears to come with a rear license plate holder. Did you decide to not use it or did it not work with the X?

I got it and planned to use it (since I haven't mounted my front license plate I was just going to use that ;-) but then totally forgot!

While parked at a restaurant, a police car rolled up and slowed down. I thought he was going to ask me where my license plate was, but instead he just said "cool doors." ;-)

Great review, thanks for this as I am concerned about luggage space in the X.

Are you able to share a picture of what the back of the X looks like without the box attached - do you always have to have the hitch and bar showing or can they be removed when not in use?

Thanks again

I have it off now, and didn't think to take a photo without the box attached. The box attaches to the swing out bar with 4 nuts/bolts. Because the bar is so heavy, I decided to detach the box from it when storing it. You can also get different accessories to attach to the swing out bar, e.g. I think they have a bike rack option, a grill, etc.

Once the StowAway box and swing out mount is removed, you're left with the typical tow hitch receiver sticking out of the back of your X. Not a great look, so unless you plan on re-attaching something to it soon, you'll probably want to detach it. Luckily, it's pretty simple to detach it and put the cover back on underneath. (When I first picked up the X the service center gave me the tow hitch in the bag and said I could bring it back for installation, but it's pretty simple to install it, so never bothered.)

Let me know if I misunderstood the question :)

I have heard that the tow package hitch maybe the same as the accessory hitch. due to the following: They currently have an option to install the tow package after the model x has been delivered. It specifically states that the tow weight is 5000 lbs and the tongue weight is still 120lbs.

Have you any doubt that your box can safely be supported by your original tow package? Any problems noted so far by carrying over 120 lbs?

I have heard that the tow package hitch maybe the same as the accessory hitch. due to the following: They currently have an option to install the tow package after the model x has been delivered. It specifically states that the tow weight is 5000 lbs and the tongue weight is still 120lbs.

Have you any doubt that your box can safely be supported by your original tow package? Any problems noted so far by carrying over 120 lbs?

The tongue weight max may be higher for factory-installed tow hitches. The manual clearly lists a tongue weight max of 500 for 20" tires and 350lbs for the larger tires.

There are many threads on tongue weight and hitch carrier weight limits. Believe it or not, it's not the same. Tongue weight with a trailer is 350lbs w 22s and 500 w 20s. But according to the hitch manufacturer the hitch carrying weight limit is 105lbs regardless of what wheels you have.

I think the limit is total BS. And the fact you made your trip without issue confirms that.

Model X hitch accessory overload ?

Lastly and most importantly, what's the deal with the lifetime supply of Rid X you got going on in your garage?

Last edited:
There are many threads on tongue weight and hitch carrier weight limits. Believe it or not, it's not the same. Tongue weight with a trailer is 350lbs w 22s and 500 w 20s. But according to the hitch manufacturer the hitch carrying weight limit is 105lbs regardless of what wheels you have.

I think the limit is total BS. And the fact you made your trip without issue confirms that.

Model X hitch accessory overload ?

Lastly and most importantly, what's the deal with the lifetime supply of Rid X you got going on in your garage?
Agree with you @Racerx22b. I'm getting the same StowAway box @tsw4life got for our X as we plan to use it to take a family trip from Denver to San Diego later this summer. I'll definitely report back on how it goes.

The amount of stress put on a trailer hitch when towing, across all axis, is much higher than the 105lb max for the accessory hitch. I think the max tongue weight according to tire size has more to do with the stress put on the suspension and wheels (and the difference in weights) than the actual stress put on the tow hitch.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cowby
I bought the StowAway MAX Cargo Carrier ($760) for my X to go on a road trip from the LA area to the Colorado river in Laughlin, recently. I was a little worried about how it would work out, so I thought I'd share my experience here (which was good).

View attachment 189916

It holds 16 cu. ft. andup to 200 lb of luggage inside. You can get the version of the carrier that swings away from the car (which I did). Makes it easier to load stuff into your trunk with the carrier attached. However, I was able to open and close the trunk, even without swinging the carrier out of the way.

View attachment 189917

You will likely need to have the full tow package installed, as the carrier itself weighs 94lb, and with it fully loaded, you're talking about holding up to 300lb of tongue weight. I believe that is over what the "accessory hitch" is able to handle?

The carrier comes with an electrical connection for brake, left/right blinkers, but is in a wiring configuration known as "4 flat." The Model X electronic connection is what's known as a "7 way round," so you'll need an adapter. I used this one for $8. The carrier comes with a standard bolt to hold the carrier safely on the X's tow hitch, however if you're planning to leave the carrier attached during your travels, you'll probably want to do what we did, and spend $20 to get a receiver lock.

My primary concern was whether I would have a hard time Supercharging, due to the increased depth. My route to Laughlin was set to take me to the Barstow and Needles SC. Barstow has 8 stations, 4 are pull-through, and 4 are back in. We arrived here, and were able to use one of the pull-through spots, so no worries there.

Needles SC was a bit scarier, because I couldn't really tell from the photos online whether or not the SC cable would reach, but we had no problems!

View attachment 189918

On the way back, the X took us on a different route, going through Primm, NV instead of Needles, and then back through Barstow. Primm, like Needles, only had back-in stations, and when we got to Barstow, all pull-throughs were taken, so we had to back in here as well. In all 3 locations, we had no problems backing in to charge! Forgot to snap one on our pass back through Barstow, this is Primm:

View attachment 189922

I can't guarantee it will work at all SC, I could see where it might be difficult if the Tesla parking sign was too far forward or something, but one other option you might have in that situation would be to have a passenger swing the carrier out completely, opening up more of the rear/center of the vehicle area to allow for backing in further. We didn't have to do it this trip, though.

Hope this helps.
Great review! I have the older, smaller version of the StowAway that I bought a long time ago to use on my old Yukon XL. Believe it or not, I needed it a few times, even with that hulk of a car, when traveling with my daughter's family. I was wondering how it would work on my coming-soon MX90D and I'm glad to see that it will do fine. With a 6-seat version, I think I will need it more with the Model X. One question, couldn't tell for sure from the first photo, but are the X's rear lights visible enough over and/or to the side of the StowAway?

• Helpful
Reactions: Cowby
The lights seem just visible to me... But not the license plate. Here is ours with the optional license plate bracket... On the tow hitch

https://goo.gl/photos/4LkJTxBg4hMtLXm38

cn0dML3uQV_ufBIbcuEDkQB4aecerxTuC6sbe8Ify7A85BFA_m446Rizeh57oOc2CGQCHH2uqYUsH_UHuO1COZcLq5f9cM1S-eflTVMKbW2o-xxAMgTdwKfF4Hu3f2lclU_Ho512HRT9nZyKeh8ZG3Jonc_3tSCnDDXmpW7kVIepIuLAcjJJN3cUgFLWdj73vV0jk46XHXWtaIOB75umDntEjL4hlPXIGAPROYqqXLDjLCUDXGBLxHHw6zbzX2V0Bmce6TuCmj8xm8_vrtegrI4FyrMtTtPIsiaBEg66LOzQ7ctp6L4oKSZkjuMWTEuiOSwEcAXgRZFo-2JeBXGc9vu6Ez1ZoLpYRD9opaW8avLJmTVt740vEBsYHw4hNoJVJngRAMs78tpxGzsgZwGoPKrv8JnmHXbz0LikXEugb6M310ZunMhhLEOgN-jgQT0fTDY2gJSmepeE_rfmeCDmDerdS7RQRYIyz-eWrdq3core0BDytlAdG1nW6806xzfBUdyopLu-CtAmpWH--XXd39sPuLH13hXCawChguwdabNY9hUdjzVHbQ8lxq9Zs1yF-eMuAlCJiMySTQIxHnCTdtIyqi_tGoyqH2Z9UzkLXTfYdVcl29WkeLlUkTX2IkgsIbmpq_fPzBkFZ5rfN22CceW9lZeMBC-V_mNEs1OszjM=w3430-h2573-no

I actually took the photo to demonstrate that there in plenty of room to fit and charge at the Folsom paladio supercharger. It looks like front in superchargers are always fine and back in ones usually are.
Had no issues going to Tahoe from the peninsula and back in the snow last week.

eixQhPj1uPoMfFcOxLmXKniogyhZGK8xvik6_3Dxnb989C6pa6RNTu-xDh9GZq4En8t-s37cUvrcOq9_8HNEqext2QV9RAiD_Vn1ITgFy0WfmKVdRLwDRE4ksmfNi2FS3lGEMwfA2HD95iLH7ZOQvBVbWrv2m4Wdf1Ep1vGDVWuJuSLB5kwj2YPuTo6wqGYvYty1y-ioipggyf4joq0XXPjalV72acPwM45N4HIYDCn7MLADWwiu9-PDW4MJRuv4t4NLwPNFMw6ZkTSoYcTFSuhq5CHMOKN-IfgLkL0rZmbfGSMlwZ_Tr4NNqClpWp9GM0MkpzrRGcapIn7K9zdCAm0w9ZjEhG4zdkHolmpjNo99r6iRab7h3-AeJJYabTwP-it1YoS6I6lbB3FHqRg_x_GjXXseUDjIFAJGuc8Xxwg39E35iEszjM2CeMBzYiKWFwZWVJVt9pH5wAi9r9qhcrXDt6a4-M0rYu0kaGyTSmPCP_5iDB5iWlBO6o6L2Xw42qp5A7swfZqQYMCNIMPpf6GuwWZA69H2Q6GV_dzlFnPXKeK9e8FN0wFCt68GczXqm50oaYNbNWbhSQz1JF5q30qZf2dd0tP1cthJqVBkYs_FgdwM18cYHaLvVUIXegNwSnBvSL5CxaKg3ksSsqeCSzGKx-ESmTNE9mcxsnDt6UI=w3430-h2573-no

VLBbB7XNvRBztZ02o12ucP8b6Fh1ZL0SNTuUozWjt4Wi3ht3D5jwfmF-sKfWB3wLhvOS5FL4gAgrTcfEIQBTJ1_LJ4GedNywWP_gl79wJ4FUN1xE-K3JrHyohI3qWInWpWIBeOVZKVA6NuEC0HPSfflEGEKypkvI_VBfYiM7p9drvAyKgMOK-MAkRewB6pIQkeVMkpW57dCwvXGD0-C2ZitshCBBkwYeGBC34Cd0jxLA-JcBmv4po_DokbeGehb9g2Tr6td4kmfueWB235h2WdU8H60537K1pIGMndZSTMlBXtyfxYMB_0ykxFvdjMj4kr_zJxmU60GsVyu-nusVIHL1H53SvD-QZo0uoiPC9sh0jArmEezQBO1vZS8FehXeBUvdISBb9Fvv8SdZ10L0jFVuwVkfHQbqsyd9qFVx6VoiZkpnBgw6iTs_ywcKHGaBwKLNlZ-dlRT9pzl60Dvbu407ZLEnXUHyck8fX7mT8UQR27TEW-8YgYe7q0CJcckGf6EQAi8toNLeG0SdgJ3gPOVcIhJaiDhfiQ0DIkr6_8bcJTzNacdUbzHCnOFmFMfKvcz2dmeQjIlwSAodl_HYpUlsdC8Jel3UHLw_5bSPIE4KsBGjq45k-urtPCjZgCDqbiBClorNCam4GVxGd-Eqov1Mu8hgvF_P21AzX_0vwOg=w3430-h2573-no

I emailed Tesla and got a reply that 120lbs is "the maximum vertical loading weight" for any Model X hitch, regardless of whether you have the accessory hitch or towing package.

I had also asked how this can differ from the tongue weight of 500lbs, but I didn't get an answer to that question.

I'm going to stay within the 120lb limit.

Reactions: CarsonGallo