Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stowing manual wheelchair in Tesla X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

UncaNed

Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2015
East coast
Surely there are wheelchair guys driving Model X's, where does your wheelchair fit and how do you load it from the driver's seat?

Thinking the X was a big car, I visited the store but was disappointed there's little room on the floor in front of the second row seats, and only 28" under the FWD mounts down to the back of the folded second row seat; I expected more room over the folded second row. If I could remove the second row seats entirely, or there was a 4- seat or an empty Cargo Model X without second row seats, there'd be room and I could configure my X and finally use my 3 year old deposit.

Worse yet, the latest model Y renderings resemble Models S, X, and 3, not vans; a hopeless state of affairs for me owning a Tesla.

Chair-stowing experience, anyone?

Not sure I understand what you want. My wife is totally disabled and I use a manual wheelchair or transporter to get her around. There is ample room in the back (least in the 5 seat configuration) for the wheelchair. I could put 3 of them in there. Is the chair for you or the passenger? If you need to reach it from the drivers seat, that could be more difficult. Any reason why you would not just fold the seats down and put it right behind the drivers seat? Just stay away from the 6 seat configuration and you should be fine. Both the 5&7 seat configs allow for folded rear seats.

I'm not a wheelchair guy, but I do have a 6-seater X. Have you tried looking at that configuration? The space between the 2 seats in the 2nd row is quite substantial. You should be able to fit a folded wheelchair vertically in that position. If the wheelchair doesn't fold, then working with a customizing shop (like Unplugged Performance or TSportLine) could result in a solution, like removing a seat. But they are both on the West coast and I know of no customizing shop on the East coast.

The 5-seat configuration with all floor boards removed behind the 2nd row has ample space and may be another option.

I need a place to stow my wheelchair, folded if necessary, after I get in the driver's seat. Later, at my destination, to get it back alongside the open driver's door; yes it is for me, the driver. I could improvise to slide it up and in directly behind my drivers seat, but there appears to be so little room (28-1/2", unless I measured wrong) -atop the folded second row seat once the FWD is closed; can't imagine lifting it up and over more than that though. Thanks for taking the time to try to help me!

It seems much larger than that to me. I suggest going to a showroom with an extra chair and simply trying it on a 5-seat model. I think you will be surprised how roomy and accessible it is when the FWD are open. Blessings to you--the disabled are so creative and naturally problem solving. I thing the VLOG "How you know” has a segment on the MX and disabilities.

Thanks, Big John. Please tell me more about that VLOG segment on the MX and disabilities - is it called "Now you know”? My searches are coming up empty... Maybe I do need to take my spare chair to the Tesla showroom.

The one advantage of the 6-seat variant is that both seats in the 2nd row can be controlled from the touch screen. You should be able to move the 2nd row seats back for maximum space and slide a folded wheelchair in. You may be able to then adjust the 2nd row seat to move forward and keep the wheelchair snug against the driver's seat.

Just throwing out some ideas...

Reactions: FarmerDave