Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strage errors on start (grounding issue?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently started getting errors from basically all equipment on when starting the car (regen, ABS, ESP, parking brake and maybe 5 more errors.
I attach a photo of the errors.
The car is a Model S 2013 P85.

Then I go out of the car, lock the doors, open the doors and start it again, now most error disappear except Regen, steering assistant and ESP.
Then I put it in park, wait half a minute inside the car and put it in drive again and all errors are gone.
The errors do not appear while driving just when starting.

I looked online for strange things like this, and some suggested grounding errors in the ground connectors or broken ground connectors.
One of the ground connectors was very rusty and I polished it, but no change.

The strange this is that these errors occur only when the car has been staying idle for a long time, like over night or during work, not when frequently used.
I tried turning off the energy saving feature so the computer system would stay on all the time, but still the same issue.
I tried hard rebooting the car, no change.
I tried also having the car in camp mode during my work day, and now when I got back to the car I got no error on start so that's a good sign.

It seems there is something being shut down after a while and not being able to start back up without making my car thinking that everything is broken.
I had the 12v battery changed some months ago in a normal (non-Tesla shop), and the Air con is currently broken (not that it should matter).

Does anyone have some ideas left what to check? Could it be a software error?
//Simon

Attachments

• tesla_errors.jpg
    tesla_errors.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 203
Okay I have the solution to this story now, it has taken some months to get this solved.
First I got the errors whenever the car has been sitting for a while but they disappeared after some minutes, and eventually I got rid of the alarms all together.
I still went to service and they did some diagnostics but could not really find anything so they wrote in the service report that if the errors occur again I need to replace the steering rack.
Since then I have not had any problems for about 2 months, and then suddenly when I was at a supercharger it happened again.
This time it was more persistent and I could not get rid of the errors. I could not even get the car in N or P and creep mode was on so if I let go of the break the car was starting to roll and I could not even get out of the car.
I found out that if I opened the door while the car was in D, it shifted to N as a backup safety (which was handy here).

Well I got the car to service again and now they concluded that the problem is a faulty tire pressure system module. It somehow affects everything on the car and makes it immobile. So the price tag to fix it is 330€ which I am more than happy to pay to get this issue solved!

Reactions: KalJoMoS
It has happened twice for me during this time that I am unable to shift to any other gear while in D. I am as surprised as you that it actually is not always possible to shift, especially when creep is on. I must have tried a 100 ways of reboot, lock door hold/pres gear shift etc... nothing worked.
The person on the emergency line has a hard time to understand that it actually is not possible to put in P or N during the fault I experienced and she repeatedly asked me to power off or change wheel type to force a hard reset and I had to explain many times that the car cannot shift gears!
She even asked me to go out of the car while in D+creep and lock the door from outside, and this was when I noticed that opening the door while in D has a fail safe to put it in N.

It seems the faulty tire pressure units somehow floods the CAN bus with error messages and that in combination with bad luck somehow disables everything on the car. Still this is not a safety-critical issue per se because I can always press the break pedal to stop the car and that prohibits injury because of the fault, but it is an extremely stressful situation.