Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Straight to warning beeps on Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 3 week old Model 3 LR and when on autopilot it seems to go straight to alert beeping to instruct me to “apply slight steering input”. I don’t get any of the “pulsing blue banner” at the top to warn me to apply some slight force. This is all with me constantly with hands on wheel. The problem is it wakes my 6 month old as the alert is really quite loud. I don’t really expect to hear that alert unless I’ve ignored the “blue pulsing banner” but that never appears. Has anybody else experienced this?
Sorry if it’s been addressed before but I couldn’t find anything on it.

I have a 3 week old Model 3 LR and when on autopilot it seems to go straight to alert beeping to instruct me to “apply slight steering input”. I don’t get any of the “pulsing blue banner” at the top to warn me to apply some slight force. This is all with me constantly with hands on wheel. The problem is it wakes my 6 month old as the alert is really quite loud. I don’t really expect to hear that alert unless I’ve ignored the “blue pulsing banner” but that never appears. Has anybody else experienced this?
I have exactly the same problem. Not all the time mind*, I’ll put autopilot on and immediately it will flash red and ask me to put my hands on the wheel (yet I’ve been steering the whole time before this)

2021 M3 as well. It’s got better as of the latest update I’ve noticed however.

Reactions: DblOSmith
On a trip back to Southampton last Saturday evening down the M3 using Navigate on Autopilot I tried lightly holding the wheel and got the usual "hands on" nag message every 15 seconds. After a while I tried an experiment resting my hand on the right steering wheel "spoke" giving the wheel a continuous moderate force and I didn't get any more nags for quite a while until I reverted to light holding again.

From my experience it is easy to miss the initial nag message on screen but should do the blue flashing thing quietly only getting noisy if you miss that as well.

Reactions: Advocate
I found that if you are not central in your lane when engaging AP it will moan. If you are only slightly to the side it will quite aggressively move you in the middle, if it is too much it doesn't engage. Not sure if that could be the reason.

I believe that someone on here said a while ago that if they would drive themselves, they would choose to be slightly off center to the right in their lane - and I would do the same. This is partly due to not wanting to be too close to lorries, but also on single lane roads, the left edge is often a chain of potholes and other issues. Autopilot sticks to the middle.

Best place is to rest your hand, gripping the lower spoke of the wheel, so you’re sortof applying slight downward pressure. I don’t experience nags driving like that unless I’m making a point of not doing it, if that makes sense.

As the others have said it’s trial and error until you find the best spot for you and even then randomly it still beeps. It’s easy to miss the blue flash if your not specifically watching the screen and the timing between engaging autopilot and it flashing initially seems to vary (I haven’t actually timed it just my perception).

It’s surprisingly the amount of resistance you have to provide - initially I was worried I would accidentally disengage autopilot but eventually you get used to it (especially after watching all the US videos where you just have to hold the wheel or wedge an orange between the spoke and outer ring - I presume they changed something for the EU models).

I prefer holding it at the bottom but on long straight roads where the cars not trying to apply any turning force it beeps at you occasionally.

I tried it out again today and observed it closer. It’s engaging fine and then often alerting me with the warning beeps accompanied by a red warning triangle and a sign saying “apply slight turning force” and as it’s flashing that warning up it starts the blue banner. It’s like the warning is coming up a bit too early. It never shows the blue banner before the warning beeps and red triangle warning.

I still haven’t tried a reboot so I’ll give that a go.

Best place is to rest your hand, gripping the lower spoke of the wheel, so you’re sortof applying slight downward pressure. I don’t experience nags driving like that unless I’m making a point of not doing it, if that makes sense.
This method worked for me.....
I sortof wish there was some kind of "I want to break the Law, and take full responsibility for my actions" toggle on the car, so we could bypass the UNECE regulations, etc. :( Would make things so much simpler.
I sort of agree, but my goodness can you imagine how excited the objectors/doubters would get if that were an option

Reactions: DblOSmith
I tried it out again today and observed it closer. It’s engaging fine and then often alerting me with the warning beeps accompanied by a red warning triangle and a sign saying “apply slight turning force” and as it’s flashing that warning up it starts the blue banner. It’s like the warning is coming up a bit too early. It never shows the blue banner before the warning beeps and red triangle warning.

I still haven’t tried a reboot so I’ll give that a go.
Mine was doing the same but improved after a re-boot. Started after the latest update to 2021.4.12. The second you engage AP then a loud alarm sound and warning message just as you explained. Thankfully now a bit quieter since a re-boot.

Reactions: Sgreenham
Looks like this may be new/changed in 2020.4.12 - Updated to .12 today and for first time ever, just the once I got a red warning triangle, bong and the message to apply slight turning force - too coincidental in my book. I had hoped that it was a replacement to the nag to make it more obvious - easy to miss, but alas, the nag occurred later in the journey just as easy to miss (as I did) as before.

I have the same issue. I have a 2019 M3 and it just started happening randomly to me a few weeks ago

Mine does it but only very occasionally. The were a few random times in my journey on Sunday where nag was ignored and it went straight to alarm. I wonder if road conditions have something to do with it? Does it do it on a tight curve? or When there are lorries vaguely on your left, two lanes away. It doesn't like either scenario.