TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Stranded. Feeling like George Clooney.

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by walla2, Jan 31, 2014.

1. walla2

walla2 Member

Not happy. My car was cruising along today fine. Then suddenly I got a ton of warnings saying the car was shutting down. Got close to my house but now it is "unable to drive." Also getting 12 V warning. Needs service. The battery port is red and won't allow plugging in. I just had my 12 V replaced roughly 3 weeks ago and a full service. Tesla service can't tell what's wrong so they are coming 250 miles to get the car tomorrow morning. Likely gone at least a week given the range. They were going to bring a loaner but don't have any to loan. Service was thorough and thoughtful, but my car is sitting lonely about a 1/4 mile from my house until 11 am. Ugh.

2. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

Ah, rats. Sorry for your troubles, walla2.

BTW, you don't look like George Clooney. :biggrin:

3. GDH

GDH Banned

Do you need a ride somewhere?

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Well said, GDH. I was thinking the same thing.

5. walla2

walla2 Member

#5 walla2, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
    Gonna have to drive the Roadster a while I guess. First world problems.

Yeah, just feeling like him. Not looking like him . . .

155419672W.jpeg

6. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

A least it sounds like you will get a new "b" battery out of the deal.:wink:

7. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

My immediate reaction as well. But I'm sorry to hear about getting stranded. At least you were close to home.

8. mhpr262

mhpr262 Member

I must have missed this despite being on the forums quite frequently but this is not the first time I have heard about this ... what exactly are "a" and "b" batteries? Was there a major design change lately?

9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

At some point early, relatively early in production Tesla improved the battery design in a way that allowed for faster Supercharging. This is reflected in a label on the battery that includes the letter A (old), or B (new). Earliest adopters have A batteries and can only charge at 90kW (funny how expectationscharge).

10. mhpr262

mhpr262 Member

Ah, thanks.

11. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

I was not driving so my car was merely dead in my garage, but i too had a 12 volt battery die within a couple of weeks of having it replaced.

12. walla2

walla2 Member

It was "nice" to get stranded 1/4 mile from the house, but I did have a 5 yo and groceries, and it was raining some.

I've been researching. I wonder if it's actually a drive train problem. That seems to fit my error sequence the best from these forums. Main battery replacement of the main has been done for some with this same story but not all. 12 V failure while driving sounds odd. They are also borrowing the car and not just changing the 12 V and/or the dc/dc inverters which they could do via ranger.

13. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

Interesting. Perhaps the DC-to-DC charger only operates when the car is being driven?

14. patp

patp Member

Got the same issues last February after a couple of 12V replacements. I also have a Sig. The good news is that Tesla replaced the whole battery pack so I technically have a B (haven't checked it yet as my car is stored for winter).

Car has been reliable since that change.

15. walla2

walla2 Member

A Tesla tech arrived this morning ahead of schedule. He doesn't think it's the 12V. I'll update people when my car has some progress to report.

16. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

Definitely not. It charges the 12V when it reaches a certain threshold(verified with multimeter).

17. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

Clearly, that makes more sense.

18. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Yes, that was apparently the source of Whiny Noland's lingering vampire problem: with the 12V failing, systems were woken up to charge from the traction battery, and that led to excessive battery management drain.

19. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

Wouldn't mind feeling like clooney. Maybe on one of his date, payday or oscar night

20. 100thMonkey

100thMonkey Member

sorry to hear about your issue, I know it's frustrating. our first S had a very similar issue, they said it was the inverter, which in turn blew a fuse in the traction battery. they told me it's Tesla's policy to swap out the battery and inverter in such cases and send it all back to the mother ship for forensics. I suspect you will get a new battery out of the deal, which should help overcome some of the frustration.