Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stranded. Feeling like George Clooney.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've reserved Sig X #2. And I have every reason to believe that if something isn't right, Tesla will make it right.

I'm just hoping for a Model X "signature special" program by which I get mine before those people who didn't buy a Model S. *looks at bonnie and smiles* Okay, we'll throw in the Roadster owners. And heck, I'll even let those who had an R and S go before me in getting their X. :)

Now you can call it off-topic and reel it in. :)

I have flashbacks to a conversation I had very early on in this forum. I was concerned that Tesla might try to screw me, after all, that's what every other car manufacturer does. Bonnie (the wonderful woman that she is, and no she didn't pay me for this) encouraged me by telling me stories about her service experience with Tesla on her Roadster. In the 15 months I've gotten the car, I can say that I certainly understand why she raved the way she did about the experience. Now it's my time to pay it forward: Tesla has always been very straightforward with me, even if communications challenges have been somewhat frustrating.

You are highly likely to get a "D" pack, given that your car will be brand new. So there's a .0001% chance you should be worried.

However, even if today you were to get a rev. B pack, I can assure you that Tesla would stand behind you with the same service experience, and that you would get everything that is promised to you the day you purchased your car.

This is not necessary true. Elon has already said that the new battery packs are capable of charging at 135kw. So if an A pack is limited to 90kw and B pack is limited to 120kw I would beg to differ that they would make my brand new car charge at 135kw if do get a B pack.

But ether way I will still be buying the car I will just refuse delivery if it is a B pack. Until they change the sticker with a D pack sticker or a real D battery pack.

My sister has vin 5,024 60k battery and just loves her car. This will be my next car.

Thanks, Tim

This is not necessary true. Elon has already said that the new battery packs are capable of charging at 135kw. So if an A pack is limited to 90kw and B pack is limited to 120kw I would beg to differ that they would make my brand new car charge at 135kw if do get a B pack.

Do you have a source that states only the rev D packs have 135 kW charging? I can find plenty of attributions of 135 kW charging to Elon's October talk, but nothing that suggests only D packs can do 135 kW charging.

I (obviously) agree with you. They should be using the refurbished A packs for grid storage at superchargers since Elon mentioned they plan on being partially grid independent (i.e. Able to function in a zombie apocalypse).
Shouldn't folks have an option to refuse an A pack install in a pack replacement situation? Even if they did have an A to begin with? Installing only a 90 kW-capable pack in 2012 is one thing but, knowingly doing so in 2014 isn't cool...

Perhaps, as I suggested in another thread, Tesla is taking the battery packs as they failed, and as they are refurbishing them they are also bringing them up to higher specs (like B quality). Maybe they just aren't relabeling them as B or higher packs for a variety of reasons like maintaining the A helps determine when/where it was produced originally.

maybe there is no reason not to reintroduce these packs because they are the same as B packs when they are done. Also, as flasherz suggests, maybe they are just taking them out as the drive unit fails in a lot of (or all) cases, and then as I suggest, maybe they are then bringing them up to speed. I guess that would make sense if the battery needed to be removed anyway to get access to the drive train.

i pose the same questions here as I did in the other thread. Has a refurbished A pack failed on anyone? Has a refurbished A pack been shown to limit to 90kw?

if the answer to those is yes, then i think it is poor form for tesla to be putting those back into cars after something has come up. If not, then maybe there is something we don't realize they are doing.

As for landover and 135kw... Trust me 120.... Or typically even 90 is fast enough. You don't maintain that fast of a speed for long. You end up tapering down. And it only really helps if you aren't sharing a supercharger. The real benefit to a 135kw super charger is at two cars can be going at a higher capacity for longer. Yes true, 120 will still be a small bit slower than 135 if you have the charger to yourself, and Tesla is touting the speeds as if the car isn't splitting the charge, but I really don't think it will typically make a large difference. Most of the time, I find my self chatting with people until after I have he charge i was shooting for anyway, haha. I wouldn't be too concerned about a B pack if I were you. Again, an A pack, I might be a little concerned. And en I'd also be curious about the answers to the questions I posed above.

Last edited:
Do you have a source that states only the rev D packs have 135 kW charging? I can find plenty of attributions of 135 kW charging to Elon's October talk, but nothing that suggests only D packs can do 135 kW charging.

No I don't have a source specifically saying that D packs can charge up to 135kw. I have never heard him say anything specific about any battery packs a,b,c,or,d but sense the the first D packs that are known were delivered in October, makes sense to me that they will definitely charge to 135 kw max.

You're right though, I don't know if a B pack is maxed out to 120 kw or not. We will soon find out though my friend.

No I don't have a source specifically saying that D packs can charge up to 135kw. I have never heard him say anything specific about any battery packs a,b,c,or,d but sense the the first D packs that are known were delivered in October, makes sense to me that they will definitely charge to 135 kw max.

You're right though, I don't know if a B pack is maxed out to 120 kw or not. We will soon find out though my friend.

i don't know if anyone knows that fact about B packs. Are they doing 135 in Europe? I thought I heard that they were due to the nature of the grid there... Maybe some answers lie there.

Has a refurbished A pack been shown to limit to 90kw?

Refurbished A packs have been reported here to be 90 kW limited, and they can come with less miles than the battery you turn in. I have not heard of one fail and wonder what change they made or if they just restore the broken component and return it to service.