Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stranded waiting for tow.

chammerbeck

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Won't drive any direction. Goes into gear moves half inch and then stops with prnd turning orange. Waiting for tow. Powered car down fully twice. 2013 s85

Attachments

• 15232886448351711323624.jpg
    15232886448351711323624.jpg
    462.7 KB · Views: 92

chammerbeck

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
and away she goes...... Thankfully it's still under warranty. was going to upload a video of the dash when trying to change gears but it says the file is too large.

Attachments

• 20180409_120210.jpg
    20180409_120210.jpg
    438.7 KB · Views: 76
Reactions: byeLT4

Mark_T

Nov 1, 2017
UK
Exactly, the battery was never in doubt, but people keep assuming it is 'drivetrain' when it is 'drive unit'.

In practice though does that really just mean it is only the half-shafts that are not included as the 'drive unit' seems to comprise the motor/inverter/gearbox ?

Reactions: cwerdna

twonius

Feb 28, 2016
San Diego CA
I know Elon Musk said yes that’s how it’ll work
But for some reason I feel like I remember a thread where an awd Model s had one of its motors fail and the car wouldn’t drive.
I could be wrong.

I remember that tread. I think it had to do with the the front unit being slaved to the rear motor (which would make sense so they don't start doing crazy things independently) So if the brain on the rear unit dies the front won't work either.

Reactions: brkaus

chammerbeck

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
I'll keep the group up to date on the car's progress. They are looking at it now. It's odd since it seems to want to go for a super, brief second when the accelerator is pressed then disengages. Zero sounds(relays). No error or fault either.

Reactions: AMPd

adamtc4

Jul 25, 2017
Virginia
this happened to me a couple of months ago. Car completely stopped running as i was on the highway. Gears turned red. No power to the wheels at all. Dead drive unit. They gave me a new P unit which is supposedly sturdier and less likely to fail. I think it took some of the pep out of my P85 though. Car used to get squirrelly all the time and now nothing.

Reactions: chammerbeck

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC