Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange 12 volt battery question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New guy here,

My 2022 MX Plaid has a weird problem (1 month old). Just happened today. 12 volt battery was apparently dead. Everything is totally un-responsive. I opened the frunk and found the funky looking Li-ion battery. I did a voltage test and it is showing less than 1 volt. Funny thing... My 12 volt Li-ion battery is not mounted. It's just laying under the right side windshield. I removed the connector and it easily slid out. Not attached to anything except the cable. Then I noticed that there was another battery just like it that this battery is laying on. This one is mounted where it is supposed to be. Apparently the original battery was bad and someone just stuck this one on top of the other. I think someone at Tesla has some explaining to do. The car had 20 miles on it when I took delivery last month. At first I thought I was lucky and already had a spare but that one will not light up the car either.
I guess Monday I will have to decide my next step.
Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Thanks
Ed

I will call roadside tomorrow and see if they can by chance bring a battery. I seriously doubt that they will have the lithium to fit this thing. But I sure would like to know how and why this battery had been replaced in such a shade tree mechanic sort of a way.

I will call roadside tomorrow and see if they can by chance bring a battery. I seriously doubt that they will have the lithium to fit this thing. But I sure would like to know how and why this battery had been replaced in such a shade tree mechanic sort of a way.
"Tesla Quality Control"

I wonder if the battery shorted itself out?

Set an appointment for the car to be picked up tomorrow. Decided to try something. I took the 12 volt battery out of my mower and used it to jump the Tesla. Everything lit up and after a few minutes, I unhooked the mower battery and everything is now working. I canceled the pickup but will still take it into the SC to find out why I have two lithium batteries. I got cocky and plugged into the other "mounted" battery and the screen immediately complained that it was incompatible with my car and that I would need a software update. I switched back to the unmounted battery and all is fine now.
Do the California assemblers smoke weed on the job?

Reactions: RossRAllen
Set an appointment for the car to be picked up tomorrow. Decided to try something. I took the 12 volt battery out of my mower and used it to jump the Tesla. Everything lit up and after a few minutes, I unhooked the mower battery and everything is now working. I canceled the pickup but will still take it into the SC to find out why I have two lithium batteries. I got cocky and plugged into the other "mounted" battery and the screen immediately complained that it was incompatible with my car and that I would need a software update. I switched back to the unmounted battery and all is fine now.
I believe the new battery is a different voltage

I think “doing acid” is more appropriate.