Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange Acceleration Behaviour [solved: Obstacle aware acceleration]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a M3LR with Acceleration Boost and was more than happy with the performance.

Recently (after a SW update ?) noticed a strange anomaly when accelerating from stationary with accelerator to the floor, namely there is an initial pause/reluctance (bogging down ?) to get of the line (and it's not wheelspin the car is never that uncouth).

With partial acceleration from stationary of full acceleration when moving it is not a problem.

My only though is I recently ended up with e primacy's on all 4 wheels after moving from the original pilot sport 4s acoustics (availability issues) - Am I traction bound and the car's electronics are cutting in ?

It didn't seem to manifest for the 1st few weeks on the e primacy's but it could be either a) I did not notice or b) wasn't accelerating that hard

I did want to move to the pilot sport EV's but a) you can't get them yet and b) seemingly no 18inch wheel variant.

Last edited:
I've also noticed the same behaviour. Although I don't have acceleration boost. In fact, barely have unboosted acceleration from a standstill. It's been a pain pulling out at roundabouts in busy traffic!
That may well be limiting acceleration due to the busy traffic in front of you on the roundabout. Have you tried turning off obstacle aware acceleration?

• Helpful
Reactions: darkNstormy
It's happened to me three times in the past month on both 4.15 & 4.18 but never in the prior 12 months/7500 miles (LR/Acceleration boost).

The latest was yesterday with absolutely nothing else on the road at a junction I've been using almost every day since early February. This was the first at that spot.

Have a M3LR with Acceleration Boost and was more than happy with the performance.

Recently (after a SW update ?) noticed a strange anomaly when accelerating from stationary with accelerator to the floor, namely there is an initial pause/reluctance (bogging down ?) to get of the line (and it's not wheelspin the car is never that uncouth).

With partial acceleration from stationary of full acceleration when moving it is not a problem.

My only though is I recently ended up with e primacy's on all 4 wheels after moving from the original pilot sport 4s acoustics (availability issues) - Am I traction bound and the car's electronics are cutting in ?

It didn't seem to manifest for the 1st few weeks on the e primacy's but it could be either a) I did not notice or b) wasn't accelerating that hard

I did want to move to the pilot sport EV's but a) you can't get them yet and b) seemingly no 18inch wheel variant.

I generally find that the traction control is spectacular in its ability to hide what's going on! What I mean is that it always appears to let you accelerate at the maximum rate that your available grip allows. Most of the time I just don't notice what's happening but occasionally I am aware that I am accelerating more slowly than usual. Even in my SR+ there's a load of torque available (and only via the rear wheels for me) so from time to time it's inevitable that you just can't expect to press the pedal to the floor and expect the car to do it's thing regardless. A bit of "soft" acceleration is almost certainly simply down to the fact that you have a little less grip available than you thought! (And as it seems ... obstacle aware acceleration settings!)

Happy to report switching off obstacle aware acceleration got rid of the acceleration pause/delay.

Thanks for the tip.

Is the obstacle aware acceleration a recent addition or has it always been there ?

Could the fact that the front of my car is filthy (covering radar/unstrasonic sensors) be causing this or is it all vision ?