Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange air hissing and pump sounds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2014 P85D seems to be doing this a lot lately. Depending on how long has it been sitting, it might go into this cycle 5-6 times and then stop. While driving, it seems that it’ll also do this relatively often (especially when cornering). My firs thought was an air suspension leak, but after letting it sit for a few days, none of the wheels seems to sink. Interestingly, the front passenger side (which is where I think the noise comes from) seems to actually always be ~1/2 an inch higher than the other wheels.

what do you think? Any input would be really appreciated!

My 2014 P85D seems to be doing this a lot lately. Depending on how long has it been sitting, it might go into this cycle 5-6 times and then stop. While driving, it seems that it’ll also do this relatively often (especially when cornering). My firs thought was an air suspension leak, but after letting it sit for a few days, none of the wheels seems to sink. Interestingly, the front passenger side (which is where I think the noise comes from) seems to actually always be ~1/2 an inch higher than the other wheels.

what do you think? Any input would be really appreciated!

I would remove the frunk pan and spray soapy water to find the leak. it may be a simple connection that needs to be tightened

Mike

additionally your leveling links could have been knocked or something, there's a Z shaped link that holds the sensor in place and should it be bumped it could cause the bags to try to level incorrectly, then constantly try to relevel themselves. You'd have to take off the wheel and see, and compare it to the other wheel since you likely dont have any context on what to look for. I'd start with that

This happened to my new 2020 I picked up two weeks ago. I'm new to the Tesla world and I was concerned too.

It started after 2 days sitting in the garage. The sound lasted for a couple of days until it stopped. Hasn't come back since then.

I read that a software release after a battery fire issue incident turns something on to condition the battery. My car still had a 2019 version until a week later when I received 2020.8.3.

Another post I read was the air suspension adjusting. This was confusing because a Model 3 owner went through the same sound and recorded it too.

Then I read that Tesla's make all sorts of noises. Of course I was confused too after reading all this. Not many S owners chiming in now that 3 and Y are more popular which makes it difficult to diagnose within a forum community.

If after 2 days the sound doesn't stop, then I would schedule a service call. But your sound was exactly the same as mine on a new car.

Thanks for your input everyone! I did end up removing the trunk today and found that one of the hoses (black terminal) is entirely cut off and it is indeed the one through which air escapes when the compressor shuts down. Is this by design?!

908BB7B6-8547-4403-9BD5-18C0414D5464.jpeg

AFC08AEA-C7CD-44B5-9384-DFD05B85B641.jpeg

Looking at the parts catalog, the part name seems to be “Air Suspension Line - Exhaust - DM” (#1030627-00-A). Given its name and looking at this diagram (part 7 here), it kinda seems like this is actually by design?

Yes, that's by design. There is an air dryer built into the pump; to remove moisture from the dryer, some air is released through the exhaust line when the pump stops.

Based on your description, there might be a leak between the pump and the valve block, or between the valve block and the reservoir.

If you don't see anything obviously wrong and end up taking it to a Service Center, they can also readjust the ride height to level out that high corner without needing to replace any parts.