Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange AP behavior....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tell me if you guys have seen this, or have any idea what's going on.

I use autopilot on the same stretch of new highway everyday. The Google maps has this new highway on it but the built in maps do not. Anyway, everyday at the exact same place in the highway the car starts to slow down. Usually I have the speed set to 75 or so but I've let it slow down to 40 before intervening. There are no cars around and the lanes are perfectly marked. If I step on the accelerator the car will begin to speed back up. Then about a half mile down the road, again in the exact same place the car will begin to quickly slow down again, until I push the accelerator. This always happens in the exact same two spots on this particular freeway. Again, this freeway is brand new (perfect lane markings etc). My only suspesion is that it has someting to do with the GPS and this particular location not being on the built in maps database as a driveable area?

Thoughts?

And to anyone in the greater Phoenix area I invite you to head west on the new Nothern Parkway near Peoria and let me know what happens :)

Is this slowing done when using TACC alone, or just when using Auto-Steering,
which also uses TACC?

What kind of curves, like freeway interchanges, or much sharper exit curves?

Is it auto-slowing for suggested-speed warning signs?

What revision number, 2.7.56 or 77 or 85?

Are you asking me?

Both, TACC alone and TACC with AutoSteer. Exit curves, and I've had it happen on local streets (blah blah, shouldn't use TACC locally). Not related to suggested speed warning signs, not that I can tell and .56.

Multiple Europeans have posted about this behavior in another thread during the last couple days, even to the point of including a video showing it happening. Problem is, I can't remember which thread. I think the consensus was that it happens in locations where the navigation map provider (not Google) isn't up to date on the actual configuration of the road.

- - - Updated - - -

I found it. Here is the thread.

TACC with 7.0 - unexpected slowdowns

Multiple Europeans have posted about this behavior in another thread during the last couple days, even to the point of including a video showing it happening. Problem is, I can't remember which thread. I think the consensus was that it happens in locations where the navigation map provider (not Google) isn't up to date on the actual configuration of the road.

- - - Updated - - -

I found it. Here is the thread.

TACC with 7.0 - unexpected slowdowns

Thanks. This is exactly the issue I'm experiencing.

If the 7.0 TACC is using the Navigon map data to slow the car for upcoming curves,
the curves, or the lack of matching map data (like appearing to be driving in fields),
could easily be the explanation for the observed map-aware TACC slowing.

Since the Navigon maps are somewhat old (no reported map updates in about
two years), it is likely that Tesla will need to reconsider the automatic speed
control algorithm used for the "driving off the map" case. Slowing is probably
used as a safety measure in case you are asleep and have actually driven
off the highway.

So, they need a prominent warning for this "leaving the mapped road"
condition if they cannot detect driver activity, or Lane-Steering
is On and still detects proper lanes. Otherwise, use a simple warning that
"the map may be old, use caution on curves"? But then, people expecting
automatic speed reduction for the new curves will not get what they expect,
which could also be dangerous.

Presumably, an upcoming revision will deal with this "obsolete map" problem.

For now, recognizing the TACC slowing inappropriately, does simply pressing
the accelerator enough keep one safely at (or near) the appropriate speed?

- - - Updated - - -

Note, "Strange 7.0 TACC behavior" might be a better thread title,
since the Auto-Steering is not even turned On.

Later, perhaps even add " - Obsolete Map" once we verify the cause?

Last edited: