Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange behavior with 7.1 and/or new iPhone app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is being towed to the service center and I normally check in on it during the drive to make sure it is making its way to uneventfully. Today, it is proving impossible. The app does one of three strange things, seemingly at random:

1) Reports a location more than two hours old, with the wrong battery level -- it appears to be hanging to an older location fix.

2) Briefly shows the correct location, like for a minute or two and then reverts back to #1 soon thereafter.

3) Claims it has to wake the car (even though I have it set to always connected) and eventually gives up and reports that the car is unresponsive.

I don't believe there are any cellular coverage dead zones on the way from my office to the service center. I briefly switched over to Remote S and it appears to display the car's current location correctly at a Cracker Barrel on the side of I-95, so I presume the problem is with the app.

My car is being towed to the service center and I normally check in on it during the drive to make sure it is making its way to uneventfully. Today, it is proving impossible. The app does one of three strange things, seemingly at random:

1) Reports a location more than two hours old, with the wrong battery level -- it appears to be hanging to an older location fix.

2) Briefly shows the correct location, like for a minute or two and then reverts back to #1 soon thereafter.

3) Claims it has to wake the car (even though I have it set to always connected) and eventually gives up and reports that the car is unresponsive.

I don't believe there are any cellular coverage dead zones on the way from my office to the service center. I briefly switched over to Remote S and it appears to display the car's current location correctly at a Cracker Barrel on the side of I-95, so I presume the problem is with the app.

This usually happens when remote access is turned off, has happened to me before when Service have picked up my vehicle and during the service and then right when its ready (i get the call) i can then access the vehicle.

Perhaps I was premature. Since I started typing this and was distracted by a phone call, I note that Remote S hasn't been able to update the car's location in 15 minutes either. Maybe it is just a garden variety server problem. I've still never seen the bahavior where the app shows the correct location and then reverts back to an older location before.

- - - Updated - - -

This usually happens when remote access is turned off, has happened to me before when Service have picked up my vehicle and during the service and then right when its ready (i get the call) i can then access the vehicle.

Perhaps. They have never disabled it before, but I suppose they could have done so this time. It doesn't really explain the location fixes I've seen though. Once the app showed them driving up I-95 and then flashed back to the old data and Remote S showed them grabbing lunch an hour or so up the interstate. One would imagine if they disabled it I'd not get any of those updates.