Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange behaviours of frozen info on both displays

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear All,

I've a Model X of March 2018 with HW 2.5. I'm living in Switzerland. I've experienced some very strange behaviours with the both displays. I was running the firmware 2019.8.5 3aaa23d. The strange things I identified were:

- very frequent reboot (for instance 6 times during a trip of 350 km) or at least one per week
- lag and latencies on spotify
- navigation freeze of the red arrow or red arrow is jerking
- internet communication is impossible; only solution is to reboot
- vocal assistant is crashing and not responding; only solution is to reboot
- kWh, km, Wh/km, trip time frozen, even after doing a reboot of both displays
- temperature indicator is showing "---" sometimes, during few seconds
- FM radio seems reseting every 8 minutes and displaying the code 520
- system seems very slow, even after reboot (it takes more than 5 min. to get back the internet connection)
- when driving, sporadic display of "passenger off" on the top right of the 17 inches display during few seconds; it's like the system is doing a watchdog reset.

I was very disappointed because, even if I can understand that some bugs are always possible, I was never in this unstable situation even with my first Tesla Model S 2015 HW 1.0 I owned for more than 2 years. The issues remained even after recdiving the firmware 2019.12.1.1 4b1dd29.

On May 22nd, I called the Tesla service. They told me to remove my USB stick for the dash cam (I installed it at the end of the last year when Tesla released for first firmware taking in charge the dash cam) and they pushed me a new firmware (2019.16.2 73d3f3c). I solved all the issues. Except one time I saw

I installed the firmware 2019.16.3.2 a19d0e4 on 1st of June. The issue isn't solved but seems occuring more frequently.
It seems happen after the car is going out from sleeping mode. When i drive, in 50% of the case, the display of the kWh, km, Wh/km, trip time and distance (km) are frozzen or only time (minutes) seems nearly good (in my opinion it's not updated in real time). All other counters are frozen or are updated after 20 minutes or more; it seems there is no repeatiting rules.

Has anyone encountered the same strange behaviours?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kind regards.

P.S. In the counter page in the 17 inches display, the kWh, km, ... are also frozen and the Wh evolution graphic is also frozen.

Dear All,

I've a Model X of March 2018 with HW 2.5. I'm living in Switzerland. I've experienced some very strange behaviours with the both displays. I was running the firmware 2019.8.5 3aaa23d. The strange things I identified were:

- very frequent reboot (for instance 6 times during a trip of 350 km) or at least one per week
- lag and latencies on spotify
- navigation freeze of the red arrow or red arrow is jerking
- internet communication is impossible; only solution is to reboot
- vocal assistant is crashing and not responding; only solution is to reboot
- temperature indicator is showing "---" sometimes, during few seconds
- FM radio seems reseting every 8 minutes and displaying the code 520
- system seems very slow, even after reboot (it takes more than 5 min. to get back the internet connection)
- when driving, sporadic display of "passenger off" on the top right of the 17 inches display during few seconds; it's like the system is doing a watchdog reset.

I was very disappointed because, even if I can understand that some bugs are always possible, I was never in this unstable situation even with my first Tesla Model S 2015 HW 1.0 I owned for more than 2 years. The issues remained even after recdiving the firmware 2019.12.1.1 4b1dd29.

On May 22nd, I called the Tesla service. They told me to remove my USB stick for the dash cam (I installed it at the end of the last year when Tesla released for first firmware taking in charge the dash cam) and they pushed me a new firmware (2019.16.2 73d3f3c). I solved all the issues. Except one time I saw

I installed the firmware 2019.16.3.2 a19d0e4 on 1st of June. The issue isn't solved but seems occuring more frequently.
It seems happen after the car is going out from sleeping mode. When i drive, in 50% of the case, the display of the kWh, km, Wh/km, trip time and distance (km) are frozzen or only time (minutes) seems nearly good (in my opinion it's not updated in real time). All other counters are frozen or are updated after 20 minutes or more; it seems there is no repeatiting rules.

Has anyone encountered the same strange behaviours?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kind regards.

P.S. In the counter page in the 17 inches display, the kWh, km, ... are also frozen and the Wh evolution graphic is also frozen.
I’m guessing you probably already tried this but I had a similar issue and contacted Tesla. They recommended that I sit in the car and do a power off. Wait at least two minutes after everything is dark. Make sure not to hit the brake pedal at all.
And here is the part that’s different than what I normally have done in the past… Do not press the brake pedal to re-start the car. Instead, just open the driver side door. Not sure what difference it makes but they were fairly specific about this. Also recommend that this be done after every firmware upgrade and it’s a good idea to do it at least once a month. I have not had that issue since I have followed this procedure.

Hello,

I was having lots of issues since I installed 2019.12 and later with 2019.16 in my 2018 Model S.

Last week I removed the dash cam stick and things have improved a lot, although I have already set an appointment with my Service Center.

Kind regards.

I’m guessing you probably already tried this but I had a similar issue and contacted Tesla. They recommended that I sit in the car and do a power off. Wait at least two minutes after everything is dark. Make sure not to hit the brake pedal at all.
And here is the part that’s different than what I normally have done in the past… Do not press the brake pedal to re-start the car. Instead, just open the driver side door. Not sure what difference it makes but they were fairly specific about this. Also recommend that this be done after every firmware upgrade and it’s a good idea to do it at least once a month. I have not had that issue since I have followed this procedure.

Thanks for the tip; I'll try it (I already did it, but never to switch on back the car by opening the driver door). I also received and installed the last firmware 2019.20.1. Let's try and wait few days.

Hello,

I was having lots of issues since I installed 2019.12 and later with 2019.16 in my 2018 Model S.

Last week I removed the dash cam stick and things have improved a lot, although I have already set an appointment with my Service Center.

Kind regards.

Hello, same thing in March and I removed the USB stick for the dash cam. System was more stable after this. But few days / week later, the frozen displays I mentionned are coming back (the other strange things disappeared by removing the USB stick). Even after 3 firmware releases, I'm still dealing with the frozen display of km, Wh/km, ... It hase also an impact on the TeslaFi logging where for instance a lot of trips are missing or the wrong location (GPS) is logged. What is very strange is that this wrong location is also displayed in the Tesla App ?!? Seems my system is going crazy.

Hi Alechenne,

A few other odd things to try. - Mine also is a March 2018 build...

Reset Trip A and Reset Trip B.

Curiously enough the internet browser can cause trouble.
Set it to Tesla.com with whatever prefixes and suffixes are appropriate for your country.
When you see the Tesla page, leave it as your normal setting.
Return to your normal screen settings leaving the Tesla website on your screen.

My car got into a situation with Google and a speed test that used all of the MCU power and locked it up.
It works great with Tesla.

Shawn

Hi Alechenne,

A few other odd things to try. - Mine also is a March 2018 build...

Reset Trip A and Reset Trip B.

Curiously enough the internet browser can cause trouble.
Set it to Tesla.com with whatever prefixes and suffixes are appropriate for your country.
When you see the Tesla page, leave it as your normal setting.
Return to your normal screen settings leaving the Tesla website on your screen.

My car got into a situation with Google and a speed test that used all of the MCU power and locked it up.
It works great with Tesla.

Shawn
Dear Shawn,

Thanks for your tip. I'll try it. The only "bad" thing is that I use the 2 trip to count and monitor the average efficiency across the winter or the summer (when I exchange my tires) in order to have a mean Wh/km value for the winter and another one for the summer. The second trip counter is used for the same thing but across the whole life of the car in order to have a global Wh/km mean value. If I reset TRip A and B I'll loose my current mean values. But let's try.

Dear Shawn,

Thanks for your tip. I'll try it. The only "bad" thing is that I use the 2 trip to count and monitor the average efficiency across the winter or the summer (when I exchange my tires) in order to have a mean Wh/km value for the winter and another one for the summer. The second trip counter is used for the same thing but across the whole life of the car in order to have a global Wh/km mean value. If I reset TRip A and B I'll loose my current mean values. But let's try.

Dear Shawn,

I was having MCU reboots happen in my S after update 2019.12.1.2. I thought it was the update and that it would fixed with the next update, but no dice.

Definitely try the reset with brake pedal pressed. What I think did the trick though (at least for my issue) was that the Bluetooth connection with my phone had gone corrupt. Literally as soon as I removed my phone from the car’s Bluetooth (full delete), the car has not rebooted itself since! FYI - I’ve since connected the phone to Bluetooth again and it all works great. I really hope that does the trick for you - and for anyone else that is having these issues! Good luck!

I was having MCU reboots happen in my S after update 2019.12.1.2. I thought it was the update and that it would fixed with the next update, but no dice.

Definitely try the reset with brake pedal pressed. What I think did the trick though (at least for my issue) was that the Bluetooth connection with my phone had gone corrupt. Literally as soon as I removed my phone from the car’s Bluetooth (full delete), the car has not rebooted itself since! FYI - I’ve since connected the phone to Bluetooth again and it all works great. I really hope that does the trick for you - and for anyone else that is having these issues! Good luck!
At this point you probably need to get your car into a Service Center.

After readinf a lot of post, trying a lot of thing, I decided to do a complete reset by reseting my Model X to the factory default settings. It seems it solve my strange behaviours. Of course I loose my Trip A and B counters with the km and mean Wh/km with summer or winter tires, and the mean Wh/km of the complete life. But I've other way to calculate them. Now I'll check if the strange behaviour will come back again. Thanks to everybody who try to help me.