Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange Bluetooth issue with phone calls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if its my phone or the car, but has anyone experienced an issue where the first call of the day they can hear me but I can't hear them. Same thing if I am calling no ringing sounds just silence. If I hangup and call again everything works perfectly and will be fine for the rest of the day. Car has not always had the issue, I'm thinking it started in November/December. Anyone else had this before?

I have a Pixel 2 XL running the latest Android version.
I have the same, iPhone X.

As suggested previously, the volume scrolling works for me. Cheers for that.

To clarify, volume scrolling worked for me (Thanks y'all!) only when invoked from the center console and not the steering wheel scroll button. The phone type (iPhone or android) does not seem to matter as I have the same problem with my Samsung 8+ as iPhone users reported. Now at least its tempered by the volume control scroll fix.

To clarify, volume scrolling worked for me (Thanks y'all!) only when invoked from the center console and not the steering wheel scroll button. The phone type (iPhone or android) does not seem to matter as I have the same problem with my Samsung 8+ as iPhone users reported. Now at least its tempered by the volume control scroll fix.
Mine's good with the scroll wheel.

Reactions: Sethsla
Exact same problem here. Tried with both HTC U11+ and latest Samsung S10+. Reported to SC during annual inspection but they claim they tested with 2 iPhones and both are fine. Problem seems to have surfaces since V9. Glad to know I am not the only one. Hope Tesla understands they are not an Apple company yet. There are still Android users driving Tesla and fix the problem soon.

Bear with me, this will become more relevant even though I’m having a different audio issue with Bluetooth. If tl;dr: then skip towards the bottom where I have some “navigating phone ‘help’” tips that may improve odds of Tesla giving this even slightly more priority.

Essentially volume is usually very low but occasionally if I’m listening to something and take a call or use voice command, the volume becomes much louder and filler after it reverts to audio. I know my devices’ Settings well. It’s not them.

I’ve mentioned it to Service Center and they couldn’t reproduce it. In fact, last time I accidentally triggered it a few miles after picking up the car for issues including this. I circled back and demonstrated it. I was told they’d note the time and look into it. Just in case, not only did I report the bug but I called tech support. That call got things slightly moving but the service center apparently never actually posted the issue. It’s frustrating since it’s the only time I could reproduce it in person.

Anyway, I now have an open ticket that is the result of a subsequent call with another rep who actually listened, asked questions, took notes, followed up with email and forwarded it to a next level tech who is currently working with me via email. This is really just a byproduct of tenacity. Lots of failed calls and “I don’t see notes about this from anyone else” and “what’s the volume set on your phone” entry-level tech phone scripts. I recently spotted a fellow reddit user with the issue so maybe that will help.

Is it fixed? No. This morning they did a flash reset to see what it would do. So far, nothing except it made reconnecting devices a more unreliable process that took lots of tries before it was stable. They also have thrown out the idea they may need to replace the Bluetooth unit/receiver/whatever.

If I have any word of advice: keep calling. Try to get a ticket #. Mention this thread. Hit “report bug Bluetooth phone mute issue” or something short but specific. Call them after you’ve submitted it. Be prepared to explain and explain. Is it frustrating? Oh, hell yeah. Incredibly. Is it unique to Tesla? Oh, hell no.

The worst I can say about my own issue is that when the audio gets “uncorked” the volume basically doubles its output so it can startle and distract me as I rush to save my hearing. Such sudden distraction is an extra potential factor in making a consequential mistake in driving. I’ve focused on that safety aspect, rather than the audio quality. I might point out in any calls how this error affects the safety of your own driving. I’m sure it does. Anything that makes you handle a phone or play with settings while you drive is dangerous and ultimately the driver’s liability. I remind myself of that every time I’m about to give up on these things.