TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Strange bump in range

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by AmpedRealtor, Mar 25, 2015.

1. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

#1 AmpedRealtor, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
    Hi everyone!

I just noticed a strange increase in range that I had never seen before. I was wondering if anyone else experienced this or might be able to replicate?

I live in Arizona, so it's in the 80s right now. My garage was in the mid-70s each time this happened. A few days ago, I charged my car to 90%. The display showed 230 rated miles. While the car was plugged-in, I pre-conditioned the car to cool down the interior cabin. I pre-conditioned for about 30 minutes. After unplugging and getting back into the car, the range had magically increased to 233 miles!

I repeated this yesterday. Car said it had 230 miles of range. I pre-cooled the interior cabin for about 20 minutes while plugged-in, and afterward the range increased to 233 miles. I didn't think that pre-conditioning when ambient temps are in the 80s would have a positive impact on range. I don't remember seeing this behavior last year when the weather warmed up.

2. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Did you turn range mode on? I have seen a bump of a few rated miles when I turn on range mode and the battery is almost, but not completely, full.

3. mejojo

mejojo Member

I had noticed something similar with my Volt when I left it turned on overnight while plugged in (I was loading a USB full of music onto the media drive) and in the morning I had several "extra miles".

It was explained by someone that using electricity (car turned on) while plugged in may have put it into some deficit/charge cycle that ended up slightly upcharging beyond the preset limit.

No idea if such a thing would apply here also.

4. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

Not sure why this would happen, but just want to point out that when using regen downhill, range is bumped up in 3 RM increments. It's possible you may be very close to the borderline of 230 and 233 and your climate adjustments are enough to change the calculated range measurement while using a negligible amount of energy.

5. AmpedRealtor

Nope, Range Mode is off.

6. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Active Member

Where does 90% charge normally get you on range? I'm thinking that if the answer to that question is 233 then perhaps when you kicked on the climate control it also started charging again and replenished the 3 miles it had previously lost to vampire drain?

7. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

A long time ago, the range calculation would add 3 miles if the HPWC/UMC was engaged, but that was fixed in 5.x.

I suspect it's just because things "warmed up".

8. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

I have observed random bumps in range on a number of occasions. Usually while the car is sleeping in a parking lot or driveway. On the order of 2-3 miles.

9. strengthcoach4

I have this happening now too. It also happened to my car same time last year and the year before.

10. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I have the exact opposite. It's a bit above freezing and if I plug in at work, my car will reach 90% charge @218 miles at around 3:00 PM. By 4:30 when I come out, it has usually dropped to around 212 miles.

11. AmpedRealtor

My normal 90% charge level is between 228 miles and 230 miles. Whenever this happened, I confirmed that the car said 230 miles on the display. Pre-conditioning and returning to the vehicle occurred within an hour of charge completion, so the 230 miles of range was accurate because it was noted at charge completion.

12. AmpedRealtor

Did it again today... charged to 90% at 230 miles. Came back to VisibleTesla and turned on pre-conditioning. Almost instantly, the range jumped by 3 miles and the SOC showed 91% instead of the previous 90% even though all charging had been stopped and the charge slider was set to 90%. Looks like a calculation error?

13. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Just an uneducated guess here: the preconditioning allows the processor to calc that less energy will be needed for warming/cooling the battery/cabin, so the car is estimating more energy is available for driving.

14. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

I saw this a number of revisions ago, as I mentioned above. When the power from the HPWC or UMC is turned on, either due to charging or preconditioning, the range goes up by 3 miles or so. Immediately after switching off, the range goes back down (about 30 secs or so). See if it returns once you turn preconditioning off.

15. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Rated range should not factor in or project HVAC usage.

16. billarnett

billarnett Member

Maybe the battery voltage goes up just a tiny bit when the charger is online?