Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange charge port behavior?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my Model X 75D a few days ago and I've had trouble unplugging the charger almost every time I've tried. I've read a few threads and I'm pretty confident that I understand how to unplug the charger (either press and hold the button on top of the UMC until the port turns white; choose to stop charging and unlock port on the touchscreen; or press and hold trunk on key fob). I typically have to try multiple times to get it to unplug.

Several times when pressing and holding the button on the UMC, the port will go from flashing green to blue, and then back to green (all while I'm holding the button). Sometimes it will turn white for a moment, but I still can't get the charger out.

I've also noticed that if I press the button on the touchscreen to unlock the port, I hear the clicking unlocking noise but by the time I get to the port, it turns blue and then green and I cannot unplug the charger.

I assume this is abnormal behavior? Is this something that is typically fixed through a software update or does it require service? Thanks!

Are you sure the car is unlocked when you push the button? If the car is locked, pushing the button changes the color of the port but does not release it. I recognize that since you say you tried to unlock the port on the touch screen that this probably is not the issue...

I just got my Model X 75D a few days ago and I've had trouble unplugging the charger almost every time I've tried. I've read a few threads and I'm pretty confident that I understand how to unplug the charger (either press and hold the button on top of the UMC until the port turns white; choose to stop charging and unlock port on the touchscreen; or press and hold trunk on key fob). I typically have to try multiple times to get it to unplug.

Several times when pressing and holding the button on the UMC, the port will go from flashing green to blue, and then back to green (all while I'm holding the button). Sometimes it will turn white for a moment, but I still can't get the charger out.

I've also noticed that if I press the button on the touchscreen to unlock the port, I hear the clicking unlocking noise but by the time I get to the port, it turns blue and then green and I cannot unplug the charger.

I assume this is abnormal behavior? Is this something that is typically fixed through a software update or does it require service? Thanks!

Mine is similar. I found that double clicking the UMC button does the trick most of the time though there's a certain rhythm to it - to get it just right. Also noticed that if the car is not charging a single button press unlocks just fine. My theory is that the double click is to: first stop charging (1st click) then unlock the charge port (2nd click)

Mine is similar. I found that double clicking the UMC button does the trick most of the time though there's a certain rhythm to it - to get it just right. Also noticed that if the car is not charging a single button press unlocks just fine. My theory is that the double click is to: first stop charging (1st click) then unlock the charge port (2nd click)
I support your theory. My X does the same.

Thank you for this thread - I am a new owner (1mo) and experiencing the same. I think I support the theory above as well.

What I have observed:
1. This does not happen when supercharging.
2. This has only happened once when using a Chargepoint charger - that was my first few days, probably me.
3. I first charged on a 110 w/UMC (just for fun I guess). I could not get the combination right to unlock - so I unplugged the cable from the outlet - then it worked when I pressed the button.
4. I have a 220 now with the UMC - IF it is charging, I get the same issue, if it is completed charging it seems to work first time. If I unplug it from the wall -works right away.
5. Given I seem to get it eventually if I don't unplug and it is charging - it might be a "second click" effort as described above. Sure feels like more than 2x to get it right though.